Unnecessary Roughness Call on Tre' White ?

26CornerBlitz

Just now, MJS said:

What's not true about what I said?

I disagree with your premise that phantom, garbage calls like this are an inevitable part of the game.  They can be largely gotten rid of by expanding instant replay.

18 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Still a crap call.  What are DBs supposed to do, let the receiver run 5 yards before tackling them?  He made the catch and was turning to become a runner.

This is exactly what I’m wondering. If it is indeed a defenseless receiver call.... what exactly is white supposed to do? Just let him lean in for the first? WTF!!

35 minutes ago, mannc said:

Not true.  If replay were applied to calls like this (and the call against Clay Matthews) they would be reversed very quickly.  There is no excuse not to review them.

I agree that penalties should be reviewable, but as we saw in the fumble "confirmation," the replay official doesn't always get it right either.

The Bills overcame a poorly officiated game today.  There was also a personal foul called against a Buffalo player for helmet to helmet in a tackle of Cousins.  There was a little bit of incidental helmet contact, butit was not direct in the least. And there was the call of a fumble when Allen tried to do a shovel pass to the running back crossing in front of him.

3 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I agree that penalties should be reviewable, but as we saw in the fumble "confirmation," the replay official doesn't always get it right either.

Right.  CBS's officiating expert basically called that one "bogus."

58 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

That defies reality. Defenseless?  So every receiver making a catch is now defenseless. 

Has been the case for years. A guy raising his hands to catch a ball he is looking at can’t really defend himself. If helmets hit in that situation, expect a flag. 

As the tweet says- not the new rule here. 

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

It was a clean hit, but I expected them to throw the flag anyway.

I don't think it was personally. Think he had forced him out of bounds didn't need to wrap up and come down on him. But whether it was or it wasn't.... the result of the play was in no way a 3 yard gain. It was either 15 yard penalty and 1st down or incomplete pass. 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hope the Bills write the NFL about that one.  He landed, he started to make a turn, and White hit him leading with his shoulder, is how I see it.

The penalty for the Matthews hit on Smith is another one I thought was a poor call.

Just hand out red jerseys to these guys.

Only one foot had gotten to the ground and helmets hit. It’s a tough play for the defender but you have to go low there because if heads collide the flags coming.