Unnecessary Roughness Call on Tre' White ?

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Terrible call.  Just awful call.  That was a good clean hard hit.  If the defense can't make plays like that then the game will start to look more and more like college games in the Big 12. 

That said, they missed PI they should have called on White.  

I think the NFL does want their games to look like the Big 12.  I can't say I agree with it.

19 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

To all those saying it was a bad call, you're wrong, there was helmet to to facemask contact.

Yup. And he was still bringing a foot down so he was defenseless by the rule book. Hit him in the chest, hip, knee or ankle- good. Hit him a half second later- good. Helmet hitting helmet while he’s completing the catch- flag. For a long time now. 

If folks want to argue it’s a bad rule - go for it... but it’s important to understand the actual call and it wasn’t outrageous in the context of the last 5 years.

15 hours ago, mannc said:

I disagree with your premise that phantom, garbage calls like this are an inevitable part of the game.  They can be largely gotten rid of by expanding instant replay.

The Kelvin Benjamin TD against the Pats last year went to review. They reversed it, getting it wrong. No, I think it will always be a part of the game.

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

So you’re not supposed to “stick” the guy, just let him get that first down?

For cripes sake, that’s a legit football play, hard hit to prevent forward momentum close to the first down marker. 

Somehow defenders have to find a way to "stick" a guy without helmet to helmet contact.  It is very difficult to do so, because at an instant the ball carrier can relocate his head changing the "hit box" for the defender in such a way that helmet to helmet in unavoidable.  They still have to figure it out or penalties...

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Kelvin Benjamin TD against the Pats last year went to review. They reversed it, getting it wrong. No, I think it will always be a part of the game.

Just because replay sometimes gets it wrong  isn’t a reason not to use it.  It usually works, except when the Patriots are involved.

They should let qualified ex-NFL players be referees. I think they would seriously do a very good job. They would see that for what it was, a great football play. Same thing on the Clay Matthews' sacks. Like Steve Smith, he'd be perfect and he wouldn't take $%@! from anyone ?.

Edited by R Y G A R

They keep trying to say it's about safety but then go and allow the offensive line to horsecollar tackle the DEs once the game gets lopsided.

The league wants closer games and consistently has bad calls that try to keep them close. How many games in the last few years have gone down to the wire because of questionable calls? 

I understand the reasoning behind all of this. The league and everyone else doesnt want to see players hurt, especially when it can be avoided. Problem is that you cant have a game as violent as football without injuries and some bad hits unless you remove hitting completely.

The hit by White should not have been called, helmets may have made contact, but it wasnt a hit to the head, and was about as clean of a hit as you can get. 

There were discussions on the pre game show about the hits to QBs, and it can apply to RBs and  WRs, the issue was if you blow the whistle and call the play dead once contact is made to the QB, you take away assets that some of the more athletic QBs give you, which is escapablity and it just helps the non mobile QBs. This is similar with RBs and WRs.

You also end up getting guys who know they cant get hit hard then doing more to try and extend plays because the defenders hold up to not take a penalty because its assumed the player was going to slide or run out of bounds.

I think the biggest issue stems down to the Coaches doing more to teach proper tackling methods (at a younger age especially) and players taking the initiative to actually do it properly so they arent hurting others on the field. It is tough because things happen so fast and the strength and speed of today's players is so much more today, sometimes you can attempt to make a proper tackle and end up in a bad position because of someone else moving. But ultimately it is on the players to take care of each other on the field and try to play safer out there, not changing and tweaking the rules each year to make things more confusing for everyone.