Josh Allen: Between the Ears

HansLanda

So we saw the upside from a physical POV today, no doubt. Guys generally just don't jump over dudes as a 22 yr-old QB. 

He owned his time on the field in the first half when it mattered. But as a rook, I was really impressed with his complete game situational awareness. Seems silly, but he knew every nuance to the game. The clock, pre snap penalties, and penalties that were committed against him. I know it's the least sexy situation, but the way he got the team to the line to draw...a delay of game before a punt...was just heady. Hell, I though they just might go for it the way he got them up there. He was also the first guy to tell the refs his 'fumble' was a forward pass. 

If he develops the same way upstairs as he does with his passing, we are in for a treat. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:

I just don’t want to see him leap again.  I hope the coaches sit him down and can even reference Jimmy G’s torn ACL.  Not that it was a contact hit for SF, but just reminding him it’s better to punt than be out for the year.

Just said this exact same thing in the Jimmy G thread.

8 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

So we saw the upside from a physical POV today, no doubt. Guys generally just don't jump over dudes as a 22 yr-old QB. 

He owned his time on the field in the first half when it mattered. But as a rook, I was really impressed with his complete game situational awareness. Seems silly, but he knew every nuance to the game. The clock, pre snap penalties, and penalties that were committed against him. I know it's the least sexy situation, but the way he got the team to the line to draw...a delay of game before a punt...was just heady. Hell, I though they just might go for it the way he got them up there. He was also the first guy to tell the refs his 'fumble' was a forward pass. 

If he develops the same way upstairs as he does with his passing, we are in for a treat. 

He's a mix of Newton and Rogers n hats off to the front office for doing there due diligence!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice game and a growth game. Except for the fumble, he really took care of the ball and made smart throws. Once he matures,  he will see some of the other opportunities that did present themselves.  Again, the arrow is pointing up. Just know that he's going to piss you off and break your heart as well as make sensational throws. Got to hang in with both the good and bad. To me, the great improvement is his growing calm in the pocket. Happy feet and early running is the killer of young QB's. This kid takes coaching and implements what he's told.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I just don’t want to see him leap again.  I hope the coaches sit him down and can even reference Jimmy G’s torn ACL.  Not that it was a contact hit for SF, but just reminding him it’s better to punt than be out for the year.

You could see McDermott giving him an earful or 5 as he came off the field.  Safe bet that he gets a double earful during the film review.

But you know, it may be that kind of thing like taking a PF for sticking up for your teammate who just took a shot - he was making a statement to the team, "I'm All In, I'm putting it All Out There, Go Big or Go Home"

It's just not a statement he needs to repeat in that form.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is the difference between him and mayfield. Mayfield would have eaten it up with a spoon. Not saying either approach is better than the other. 

I don't believe you Joshie.  No really, I can believe that he didn't focus on it, or that it wasn't part of his game planning, but to think that his GF, parents, homeboys, nobody mentioned it to him strains belief.

• Like (+1) 3

What I like about him so far is he listens to coaching and  keeps showing improvement staying calm in the pocket. On the Croom TD, that was a great play and it was designed to go to Croom from the get go.  But watch Josh execute it. After the fake, he didn't just twist and throw a rocket, like he would in college. He set up, got his feet right, and calmly delivered a great touch, catchable ball.  That's a kid with talent taking coaching and executing. Love it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I didn’t see that Hapless, but glad he corrected him.  We absolutely cannot afford to lose him for any part of the year.

Haha Romo interpreted what McDermott was saying.  Bet he didn’t need to read McDermott’s lips ??

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Glad you’re in.  You always have a nicely balanced opinion.  

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

What I like about him so far is he listens to coaching and  keeps showing improvement staying calm in the pocket. On the Croom TD, that was a great play and it was designed to go to Croom from the get go.  But watch Josh execute it. After the fake, he didn't just twist and throw a rocket, like he would in college. He set up, got his feet right, and calmly delivered a great touch, catchable ball.  That's a kid with talent taking coaching and executing. Love it.

Yep that is the improvement from last week where he almost missed Dimarco by trying to aim and finesse the pass.   Some lot of good.  Think his biggest issue will be for him to cover up and give up on some plays when the pocket collapses.  He's so strong he tries to break away from all contact  Big ben never learned and you get big plays but some turnovers and Big ben is on the injury report a ton

19 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I was SUPER impressed with the execution on that play. Allen looked like a seasoned vet on that one. 

Though he should never do it again, his leap over Barr showed his teammates that he's willing to give it everything he has to win.  That's gotta motivate his teammates.  Now that it is clear this guy is a competitor and will leave 100% out on the field, others will start to follow.  Looks like a leader to me.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I mean he didn’t know “every nuance”. Didn’t we have 2-3 illegal formation penalties on a single series. That partially falls on JA. He’s gotta See that before he snaps the ball. 

4 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Yep that is the improvement from last week where he almost missed Dimarco by trying to aim and finesse the pass.   Some lot of good.  Think his biggest issue will be for him to cover up and give up on some plays when the pocket collapses.  He's so strong he tries to break away from all contact  Big ben never learned and you get big plays but some turnovers and Big ben is on the injury report a ton

Well Big Ben has rings to show for his competitive nature as well.  So does John Elway.  Sometimes you have to show your teammates what you are willing to do to win to get them to step it up as well.  I'm not saying it was smart, just saying it can work in his favor.  Plus, he's a big kid.  He's not Jimmy G size.  He can take a hit and get back up.  It's part of the advantages of having a bigger QB.

50 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

The kid is a gamer. Confident in his abilities , his future looks ridiculously bright . Big upgrade over Tyrod, I mean it's night and day to me.  Clay and KB dropped a TD, Foster dropped a 50+ yarder as well.

Also he looks like a natural leader and probably becomes a captain next year. This was just an amazing sign for our future and present , he's arrived.