Matt Milano is making a difference for this defense.

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True, and I'd take Milano at his price over Brown at his. Zach is having a darn good year though.

Zach is a really nice fit for what they do in Washington. Not sure he would have been great for McDermott's scheme, and he talks trash about his coaches on twitter, but yes I definitely take Milano. The guy simply makes game changing plays. Some of it is lucky, but a lot it is just being aggressive, 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Zach is a really nice fit for what they do in Washington. Not sure he would have been great for McDermott's scheme, and he talks trash about his coaches on twitter, but yes I definitely take Milano. The guy simply makes game changing plays. Some of it is lucky, but a lot it is just being aggressive, 

Zach has the speed to play in a McDermott scheme, I'm not sure he has the discipline though. His best fit is as a roving "see ball, get ball" inside backer in a 3-4.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nathan *cough* Peterman.

You are right to identify that Phillips was in more but they basically went to run blitz as their base defensive calls. They were crashing down on the middle of the Jags offensive line and giving up the edges. The Jags never really seemed to adjust for whatever reason - their response should have been (and Coach Tuesday called it in the game day thread) delayed hand offs, draw plays and quick WR screens to use the Bills aggression at the point of attack against them.... they did nothing. Kept running the dive up the middle and then when that didn't work they put the game into Bortles's hands. 

Pretty solid summary of the adjustments made and the impact.

For @WideNine too if interested. The All-22 thread by @26CornerBlitz is usually a saving grace for those sort of questions and helps bridge the gap of the haves and have nots.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Zach has the speed to play in a McDermott scheme, I'm not sure he has the discipline though. His best fit is as a roving "see ball, get ball" inside backer in a 3-4.

I approve this message.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

If only Nate hadn't made the team. 

What are you gonna do?  The guy looked good in practice at times and in the preseason.  They gave him his chances and now he's gone.  It'd have been more ridiculous to cut him after his first game.  As if a young QB never struggled in his first start before and turned it around.  Looking back on it, it looks like an easy decision but Peterman playing well in preseason and being the younger player with a cheaper contract makes trading McCarron a very reasonable decision.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

What are you gonna do?  The guy looked good in practice at times and in the preseason.  They gave him his chances and now he's gone.  It'd have been more ridiculous to cut him after his first game.  As if a young QB never struggled in his first start before and turned it around.  Looking back on it, it looks like an easy decision but Peterman playing well in preseason and being the younger player with a cheaper contract makes trading McCarron a very reasonable decision.  

The only time he ever looked good to me was against the Panthers in the first pre-season game this year when they played vanilla cover 2 every snap. As soon as anything is disguised Peterman throws it to the other team.

Anyone who watched his college tape should have seen it. He was an UDFA talent who had no business making a roster. 

And I was saying this before he even became a Bill. Just glad the nightmare is over. 

18 hours ago, WideNine said:

I know I am killing the love fest, but just trying to keep it real. Milano is not very strong against the run, and that is not to take away from how many other plays and turnovers he does make. He is so effective at blitzing and getting to the QB as well as his coverage skills it is a hard decision to ever take him off the field.

Feel free to look up his stats for the game (Milano 3 tackles) 1 after Fournette gained 7 yards, 1 where he pushed Hyde out of bounds, and a stop on Bortles for no gain when he tried to scramble. The fact that Poyer our safety led the team with 9 paints a picture of just how many runs were getting to the 2nd level.

I don't think that suddenly Milano became a better run stopper in the second half and it is "OK" for a young player like him who is having plenty of success in other areas to have more to his game for coaches to work on. What I did see from the gamebook (besides all the ridiculous penalties I had tried to forget) was that the Bills had inserted Jordan Phillips a 6' 6" 340 lb DT on the line in the 2nd half who I usually only notice in goal line situations and he is in on a lot of stops.

I should just buy game pass to see if the "adjustments" the Bills made were more than just personnel or if there was a package/alignment changes too because they did seem to help - I think. Jacksonville also inexplicably started going three and out calling pass after pass and to me it seemed Hackett hit the panic button a bit early and abandoned their running game after only a few stops...going all in on passing against this Bills "D" is not a good idea.

Its a fair take imo. M &M does lots of stuff well to be sure ! and is improving his overall game. Smart kid and athletic as all  get out : )
But he is not stacking and shedding. And perhaps, as i have mentioned that should not be his role if possible. Pursuit quick twitch after great reads get him to the ball. and he takes nice angles. Much better than last year..

I really like the kid : )

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I’m loving the kid. In today’s game, coverage LBs are more important than run stuffers and he excels in coverage. Plus, he’s got swag and a nose for the ball. He beefed up from last year and I think he could still add a little more muscle/size w/o negatively impacting his speed. He’s no Jack Lambert, but’s he’s pretty close to Jack Hamm.

Wow you're old : )

nice referencing though !

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ctk232 said:

Pretty solid summary of the adjustments made and the impact.

For @WideNine too if interested. The All-22 thread by @26CornerBlitz is usually a saving grace for those sort of questions and helps bridge the gap of the haves and have nots.

I love those clips - just did not realize @26CornerBlitz had a regular thread.

Save myself some coin and the time looking things up the hard way - gracious.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

18 words: Tre'Davious White, Zay Jones, Dion Dawkins, Matt Milano, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Taron Johnson, Wyatt Teller

Tre is a stud. Milano is a stud. Taron looks great to me. 

Dawkins is a solid player. Harrison Phillips looks like he fits that too.

Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds have had up and down rookie years but I am cautiously optimistic.

Zay has improved but hasn't lived up to his draft slot - yet. 

Wyatt it is just to early to say. 

They have drafted reasonably well. I am not disputing. But when people say things like "who was a bad pick?" They have to be prepared for the predictable disaster that was Nathan Peterman to be quoted back at them. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Tre is a stud. Milano is a stud. Taron looks great to me. 

Dawkins is a solid player. Harrison Phillips looks like he fits that too.

Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds have had up and down rookie years but I am cautiously optimistic.

Zay has improved but hasn't lived up to his draft slot - yet. 

Wyatt it is just to early to say. 

They have drafted reasonably well. I am not disputing. But when people say things like "who was a bad pick?" They have to be prepared for the predictable disaster that was Nathan Peterman to be quoted back at them. 

Zay is definitely improving and I wouldn't really say that Edmunds has been up and down. He's been mostly solid except the first week or two. I can understand being cautiously optimistic on Allen but you don't have to be on Edmunds. He's gonna be just fine

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

Zay is definitely improving and I wouldn't really say that Edmunds has been up and down. He's been mostly solid except the first week or two. I can understand being cautiously optimistic on Allen but you don't have to be on Edmunds. He's gonna be just fine

He got ran all over in the first half of this weekend's game and his lane discipline has been poor in most games. He makes wow plays that only a player with his special athleticism can make but his down in and down out fundamentals need work. I am cautiously optimistic because he was the same his fist year playing at Virginia Tech and he made a big jump his second year. But he has been one of the weaker performers overall on our starting defense when you really evaluate the tape.

I agree he will be fine.... but I don't believe in sugar coating. He has been up and down thus far. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He got ran all over in the first half of this weekend's game and his lane discipline has been poor in most games. He makes wow plays that only a player with his special athleticism can make but his down in and down out fundamentals need work. I am cautiously optimistic because he was the same his fist year playing at Virginia Tech and he made a big jump his second year. But he has been one of the weaker performers overall on our starting defense when you really evaluate the tape.

I agree he will be fine.... but I don't believe in sugar coating. He has been up and down thus far. 

He has had some down moments but I think his positives greatly outweigh his negatives. And I think he's been more solid than not. To be fair, the entire defense got ran over on Sunday. Based off the good things he has shown there is no doubt he is going to be a Kuechly type linebacker

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Milano has been great and all but we could have had Mike Gillislee for 4mill instead so I dunno about that Billsy decision to whack NE for the draft pick.

where is TD Mike these days anyway 

tit for tat ?

I would have made a bit more effort to keep Gillislee. he would have been a good fit theoretically. and certainly better than Tolbert at producing. which is what truly was the exchange. or Taiwan Jones.

Milano is trending up still.

nearly impossible not to root for the Kid !

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He has had some down moments but I think his positives greatly outweigh his negatives. And I think he's been more solid than not. To be fair, the entire defense got ran over on Sunday. Based off the good things he has shown there is no doubt he is going to be a Kuechly type linebacker

He to has been developing in a positive manner. easy to see him becoming a solid player soon enough. and he is so unique, offenses must game plan against him already.
But he has had his stumbles during games.

in my unrefined opinion, he is  still learning plenty. I expect mistakes. and he does make them with gap management. and overanxious to crash the play 

On 11/26/2018 at 5:08 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was worried about he holding up physically but he has.  Great young player. 

So is this Whaley or McDermott? I feel like McDermott gets credit for the good picks while Whaley is blamed for the bad decisions in that draft.

Welcome to TBD. I’ve even read explanations of why Beane deserves credit for Milano and White even though he wasn’t with the organization yet.