Matt Milano is making a difference for this defense.

I absolutely love Milano. The guy just seems to have a nose for the ball. Some guys have that, some guys don’t. Last season while he was still being rotated, I continually said our defense is better with Milano on the field. To get him on the field and keep him there. By the end of the season, Milano became my favorite player on the defense. I got his jersey and kept Posting that we should make him our MLB. I felt like he had the speed and mental capacity to compensate for him being a liability in the run game. Preston Brown was the single worst thing about our defense. The guy was running like he had quick sand for cleats. They should have put a bullseye on him instead of a “52” At that time I wanted to see Milano be the QB of the defense. We needed a guy in the middle that could run and cover. It’s not 1991 anymore. LBs need ru run first and foremost.

Obviously all of this changed when we drafted Edmunds. It is so wonderful to see us with 2 incredibly talented, fast young LBs as the centerpieces of our defense moving forward. Edmunds and Milano are the two most exciting lbs we have had since Spikes and Fletcher. And these guys are super young. We are in excellent shape on defense.

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Pre-Beane, and you also can’t win ‘em all. No one, not even Belicheat, bats 1000 on draft day, especially in the 5th round where NP was taken. 

Indeed. It isn't compulsary to keep trotting him out on the field when he obviously sucks though. Not to matter. That nightmare is over now. 

Milano and Taron Johnson as day 3 picks have far exceeded legitimate expectations. I did like both picks though I have to say.... even Teller has made a decent enough start. 

And if the two 'Bama guys can keep coming on that is a massive help. The last UDFA we hit on was Robey-Coleman. The really good teams hit on one every 3 years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

They need to get this guy extended before his rookie deal is up he is a play maker & if he is able to hit FA he will be gone !! 

Make it happen McBean !! 

He's under contract until 2020, after which he's an UFA.  However if he keeps playing well, they'll probably offer him a new deal after next season.

5 hours ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

Milano was everywhere today for sure. I just wish we didn't struggle against power backs so much. Fournette just ran right through us and we needed three guys to tackle him. Thank god he got thrown out or the game may have gone completely different. 

The "ran right through us" only occurred in 1st half.  In the 2nd half the Bills seemed to have it under control before Fornicate was tossed out.

I don't know about Bills Runs defense. When you let Poyer and Milano and Edmunds cover a b gaps? we have issues. if you let the front four take care of that, less so.

Milano is so quick to the ball, you just never want him shedding blockers if you can help it.
hell of a baller and playmaker though. huge asset to the team !

Going to be a pleasure to watch Edmunds and Milano grow as players and pros.
good things.. good things.. man

On 11/26/2018 at 5:08 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I was worried about he holding up physically but he has.  Great young player. 

So is this Whaley or McDermott? I feel like McDermott gets credit for the good picks while Whaley is blamed for the bad decisions in that draft.

Who is a bad pick in that draft?

13 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I don't know about Bills Runs defense. When you let Poyer and Milano and Edmunds cover a b gaps? we have issues. if you let the front four take care of that, less so.

Milano is so quick to the ball, you just never want him shedding blockers if you can help it.
hell of a baller and playmaker though. huge asset to the team !

Going to be a pleasure to watch Edmunds and Milano grow as players and pros.
good things.. good things.. man

I expect McDermott to have Lorenzo's 3rd linebacker replacement high on the list of needs this spring.  Adding another young stud to the linebacker core that can play downhill against the run would help with this issue.  They need more talent upfront too.  Kyle has been great this year rushing the passer but as expected he can be pushed around at times against the run.  I expect DT to be high on the list as well in the offseason.  They have plenty of cap space and draft picks to fill a lot of needs.  

5 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

I expect McDermott to have Lorenzo's 3rd linebacker replacement high on the list of needs this spring.  Adding another young stud to the linebacker core that can play downhill against the run would help with this issue.  They need more talent upfront too.  Kyle has been great this year rushing the passer but as expected he can be pushed around at times against the run.  I expect DT to be high on the list as well in the offseason.  They have plenty of cap space and draft picks to fill a lot of needs.  

Hopefully in FA.  Offensive pickings in FA don't seem that great and will probably need to be addressed in the draft.

Just now, Doc said:

Hopefully in FA.  Offensive pickings in FA don't seem that great and will probably need to be addressed in the draft.

I think they will add an offensive lineman or two in FA.  I expect them to draft 1 or more as well.  Wide receiver looks like it'll need to be addressed in the draft.

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The "ran right through us" only occurred in 1st half.  In the 2nd half the Bills seemed to have it under control before Fornicate was tossed out.

I know I am killing the love fest, but just trying to keep it real. Milano is not very strong against the run, and that is not to take away from how many other plays and turnovers he does make. He is so effective at blitzing and getting to the QB as well as his coverage skills it is a hard decision to ever take him off the field.

Feel free to look up his stats for the game (Milano 3 tackles) 1 after Fournette gained 7 yards, 1 where he pushed Hyde out of bounds, and a stop on Bortles for no gain when he tried to scramble. The fact that Poyer our safety led the team with 9 paints a picture of just how many runs were getting to the 2nd level.

I don't think that suddenly Milano became a better run stopper in the second half and it is "OK" for a young player like him who is having plenty of success in other areas to have more to his game for coaches to work on. What I did see from the gamebook (besides all the ridiculous penalties I had tried to forget) was that the Bills had inserted Jordan Phillips a 6' 6" 340 lb DT on the line in the 2nd half who I usually only notice in goal line situations and he is in on a lot of stops.

I should just buy game pass to see if the "adjustments" the Bills made were more than just personnel or if there was a package/alignment changes too because they did seem to help - I think. Jacksonville also inexplicably started going three and out calling pass after pass and to me it seemed Hackett hit the panic button a bit early and abandoned their running game after only a few stops...going all in on passing against this Bills "D" is not a good idea.

Edited by WideNine

I’m loving the kid. In today’s game, coverage LBs are more important than run stuffers and he excels in coverage. Plus, he’s got swag and a nose for the ball. He beefed up from last year and I think he could still add a little more muscle/size w/o negatively impacting his speed. He’s no Jack Lambert, but’s he’s pretty close to Jack Hamm.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Who is a bad pick in that draft?

Nathan *cough* Peterman.

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

I should just buy game pass to see if the "adjustments" the Bills made were more than just personnel or if there was a package/alignment changes too because they did seem to help - I think. Jacksonville also inexplicably started going three and out calling pass after pass and to me it seemed Hackett hit the panic button a bit early and abandoned their running game after only a few stops...going all in on passing against this Bills "D" is not a good idea.

You are right to identify that Phillips was in more but they basically went to run blitz as their base defensive calls. They were crashing down on the middle of the Jags offensive line and giving up the edges. The Jags never really seemed to adjust for whatever reason - their response should have been (and Coach Tuesday called it in the game day thread) delayed hand offs, draw plays and quick WR screens to use the Bills aggression at the point of attack against them.... they did nothing. Kept running the dive up the middle and then when that didn't work they put the game into Bortles's hands. 

Sean McDermott is an NFL head coach largely because of the what he achieved from 2011-2016 as the defensive coordinator for the Carolina Panthers. In each of his last five seasons in Carolina, the Panthers boasted a top-1o overall defense in the NFL. In Super Bowl 50 against the Denver Broncos, McDermott’s defense only allowed one offensive touchdown in the contest despite Carolina losing 24-10.

Given his success in Carolina that led to an NFL head coaching gig, it would only make sense for McDermott to build a football team full of the similar ingredients that got him to where he is. One of the staples in McDermott’s dominant Carolina defenses was the linebacking duo of Luke Keuchly and Thomas Davis who combined to form one of the league’s best pairings on the second level. When McDermott took over the Bills, nothing remotely close to those linebackers existed on the roster but that has since changed.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Nathan *cough* Peterman.

You are right to identify that Phillips was in more but they basically went to run blitz as their base defensive calls. They were crashing down on the middle of the Jags offensive line and giving up the edges. The Jags never really seemed to adjust for whatever reason - their response should have been (and Coach Tuesday called it in the game day thread) delayed hand offs, draw plays and quick WR screens to use the Bills aggression at the point of attack against them.... they did nothing. Kept running the dive up the middle and then when that didn't work they put the game into Bortles's hands. 

Thanks and much appreciated - I guess they are not going to tell every team how they attack a good running game, but was getting tired of hearing over and over about adjustments made at the half and not knowing what they were. I really should just give the NFL more money and get the game pass. I get annoyed with the way the NFL and NHL break all these things up into different packages, but I really like analyzing the games afterwards.

Perhaps it was just me, but I thought McDermott seemed a bit annoyed (in his initial post-game press conf) that it took till half-time for Leslie to make the adjustments. Maybe reading too much into it, but I remember that he yanked duties from him earlier in the year.