Matt Milano is making a difference for this defense.

4 hours ago, Steptide said:

I've been saying since last year that Milano is a beast. I really think he will be a pro bowl player within the next few years. This was a huge draft steal for McDermott 

I think he has a good chance to be a Pro Bowler this year. 

On 9/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, Don't stop billievein said:

He was everywhere today. Honestly, you can say that the bills have made some questionable personnel decisions but finding this guy in the middle of the draft is paying off.  I’m really liking his game and he is a great compliment to Edmunds. 

All teams miss on players. The good ones hit more often.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:39 PM, Doc said:

What's even better is that they got him with the pick they got from the Cheaters for "stealing" Mike Gillislee from them. :lol:

I love this observation.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, LeGOATski said:

Kinda reminds me of Kiko Alonso.

Their names even have the same number of letters.

Sure, I can buy this. But without the edge, and the injuries.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He’s been a revelation.  Is he Italian or Latin?  Him and Edmunds are perfect 3 down Lbers for today nfl.  Just have to adjust a little better vs the run.  Both have all pro coverage ability for the position 

When he made the pick on Sunday, I said, that kid is just always around the ball. And that is all football instincts (knowledge and preparation). Not saying he has Kuechly-level instincts, but they're pretty damn good...and he's still pretty young.

It looks like he is Italian. His twitter page lists "Boston College | Buffalo Bills | ??" and then there is a post and photo by Joe Tessitore where he calls Milano "My (not so little) ?? ?? ? brother."

https://twitter.com/matthewmilanoo?lang=en

Edited by folz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He’s always struck me as a good but not great athlete that’s so smart and technically sound he ends up as a standout. 

He’s a very clear example of how just slapping together the most talented athletes you can find isn’t a winning formula. 

Milano has a nose for the ball, and is one heck of an athlete when asked to drop into coverage.

The only struggles I have seen is when teams run right at him - his 6'0 223 lb frame does not exactly shed blockers. He plays a lot more like an extra safety on the field - if he can knife into the backfield and happens to hit the right gap he can trip or wrap up the legs of a RB. If being blocked it isn't even a contest, maybe why the Bills go with their 3 safeties, and 2 linebackers (Lorenzo and Edmunds) and Milano is not part of their goal line package.

In most ways Milano is the perfect LB for a team that faces NE and the way they spread the ball around, but I can't say that he isn't a liability against a ground and pound run offense like the Jags were showing early with Fournette. Perhaps like Edmunds he just has to get more experience recognizing run early enough so he can hit the right gap unblocked...they're both young and still have room to grow.

One of the weird things this season that kind of flew under the radar was Milano losing snaps to Humber at the beginning.  There were a few comments from coaches too that made it seem like they were trying to send him a message.  Hopefully if it was attitude it got fully adjusted 

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He’s always struck me as a good but not great athlete that’s so smart and technically sound he ends up as a standout. 

Strongly, but respectfully, disagree. Milano's game is quickness, fluidity in the hips, range...being a kind of tweener in college. Athleticism is his thing.

While he might not have run a freakish 40 or benched like a beast, Milano's combine numbers, for an NFL linebacker, are quite explosive in a couple categories (his vert and broad jump, specifically, rival Jabril Peppers (who was 10+ lbs lighter at the time):

40 Yard Dash: 4.67 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 17.52 (MPH)
20 Yard Dash: 2.72 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.65 seconds
Bench Press: 24 reps (225 lb)

Vertical Leap: 35.0 inches
Broad Jump: 126 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.38 seconds

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

Strongly, but respectfully, disagree. Milano's game is quickness, fluidity in the hips, range...being a kind of tweener in college. Athleticism is his thing.

He's ultra coordinated. Just as important as pure athleticism, and something you don't measure. But just look at his body control. He's like Troy Polamalu in LB form the way he comes up with Turnovers.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

While he might not have run a freakish 40 or benched like a beast, Milano's combine numbers, for an NFL linebacker, are quite explosive in a couple categories (his vert and broad jump, specifically, rival Jabril Peppers (who was 10+ lbs lighter at the time):

40 Yard Dash: 4.67 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 17.52 (MPH)
20 Yard Dash: 2.72 seconds
10 Yard Dash: 1.65 seconds
Bench Press: 24 reps (225 lb)

Vertical Leap: 35.0 inches
Broad Jump: 126 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.38 seconds

If I said I was responding to the comment about Micah Hyde, do you still feel that way? 

Milano is very athletic for a LB. reminds me of Kiko a bit just Less reckless, little smaller. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He's ultra coordinated. Just as important as pure athleticism

Agreed. But are you giving him a backhanded compliment here?

Matt Milano IS athletic for an NFL linebacker. 

What he's NOT is long or heavy or freakishly fast.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

If I said I was responding to the comment about Micah Hyde, do you still feel that way? 

Milano is very athletic for a LB. reminds me of Kiko a bit just Less reckless, little smaller. 

If I said I was completely missing your clear transition from Milano to Hyde, do you forgive me?

(I looked back at your post mea culpa Matt Milano is athletic etc.)

4 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Agreed. But are you giving him a backhanded compliment here?

Matt Milano IS athletic for an NFL linebacker. 

What he's NOT is long or heavy or freakishly fast.

Not backhanded at all. He's a phenomenal football player and a steal at the draft because coaches overlook a player that can simply make plays for pure athleticism freaks.

He's a natural football player, unlike say barkevkous Mingo

I agree.  He has put together two very nice seasons.  With Milano, Edmunds, and Alexander,  I believe we have a solid linebacker group.  Linebacker is always listed as a high priority for next off season.   I am not sure why unless Alexander's age is an issue or they are looking to add depth.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I agree.  He has put together two very nice seasons.  With Milano, Edmunds, and Alexander,  I believe we have a solid linebacker group.  Linebacker is always listed as a high priority for next off season.   I am not sure why unless Alexander's age is an issue or they are looking to add depth.

They could use somebody behind Lorax. If we draft defense high i hope it's a DE/OLB that can come in and be a punisher. Fournette ran all over Milano and Edmunds. We could use a guy like Chase Winovich to deliver killshots on some of the bigger backs we face while also adding some pass rush.