Allen is a budding superstar

18 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I tend to agree. If Allen flames out this year, some of that needs to fall on McBeane, and not just because they made the pick. This is an almost impossible situation for an extremely raw QB who needed time to watch and learn. 

That said, he can't tank the game on the team like he did today. We can point to Oline and WRs and play calling, but a huge part of it was just Allen playing bad. He made zero good things happen. A good QB, even an inexperienced one, will at least make positive plays here and there even if he has little help. Allen did none of that today.

The unrealistic expectations of a rookie starting his 3rd ever game on a depleted roster is flat comical. You guys suck, give the kid a chance to make a mistake then learn and grow from it. I know it's hard to be as perfect as all of you, but he's trying.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

The unrealistic expectations of a rookie starting his 3rd ever game on a depleted roster is flat comical. You guys suck, give the kid a chance to make a mistake then learn and grow from it. I know it's hard to be as perfect as all of you, but he's trying.  

No one's asking for perfection. If Allen had just been regular rookie bad, and we'd lost, most fans would chalk it up as a learning experience. The issue was he was really, really bad against a very average defense. That's not a good sign regardless of what stage he's at in his development. 

5 minutes ago, VW82 said:

No one's asking for perfection. If Allen had just been regular rookie bad, and we'd lost, most fans would chalk it up as a learning experience. The issue was he was really, really bad against a very average defense. That's not a good sign regardless of what stage he's at in his development. 

That very average defense managed to have players coming at Allen from every direction on most passing plays. The entire offense was horrific, from awful pass protection, to receivers who rarely managed any kind of separation at all, to a non-existent running game, to questionable play calling. Any conclusions you reach about a rookie QB in the midst of that disaster aren't worth much. 

20 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I agree with this.  After Minnesota, I was like OK, this guy can play. Even though he didn’t have all that many great passes, he made some stuff happen and was a leader. Green Bay has a no-nothing defense and Allen looked like pure garbage today.  There was nothing positive, nothing.  Hoping this was a mere blip on the learning curve. But I am a wee bit concerned after today.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

How about those ACC EJ Manuel spin moves. You can't un-teach so much stupid. We made these excuses for everyone else and how did it turn out. Today was what we saw him do in college.

Yes it was and it's what he's been doing the entire time, save for a few big plays made with his legs.

Not sure why this is surprising.

He is going to get every break imaginable, plus a few more, from this fan base until their patience runs out and people start to realize he isn't the answer.

We are a long way from that point now, however.

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

That very average defense managed to have players coming at Allen from every direction on most passing plays. The entire offense was horrific, from awful pass protection, to receivers who rarely managed any kind of separation at all, to a non-existent running game, to questionable play calling. Any conclusions you reach about a rookie QB in the midst of that disaster aren't worth much. 

I keep hearing these same excuses, and I agree to an extent. But here's the rub: good QBs, even rookie ones who are having a bad day, eventually step up and make something happen, turn nothing into something, etc. Allen didn't do that at all today. 

Ask yourself this, if Allen and Rodgers (who's playing on a bum leg) had traded places to start the day, what would the score have been? I bet it would have been 22-0 going the other way. Perhaps you might suggest it's unfair to compare a rookie to a future HOFer. Again, I agree. But don't tell me it's all the Oline and WRs fault. A good QB can neutralize that some, especially against an average defense...and to answer your question, the equally average Deadskins put up 31 points on that Packers D last week, so don't tell me they're some impenetrable unit with nothing but players flying at you from every direction. 

Edited by VW82

59 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I tend to agree. If Allen flames out this year, some of that needs to fall on McBeane, and not just because they made the pick. This is an almost impossible situation for an extremely raw QB who needed time to watch and learn. 

That said, he can't tank the game on the team like he did today. We can point to Oline and WRs and play calling, but a huge part of it was just Allen playing bad. He made zero good things happen. A good QB, even an inexperienced one, will at least make positive plays here and there even if he has little help. Allen did none of that today.

Ya it was very disappointing, there was nothing to build on from this game. I hope he plays better next week.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Yes it was and it's what he's been doing the entire time, save for a few big plays made with his legs.

He is going to get every break imaginable, plus a few more, from this fan base until their patience runs out and people start to realize he isn't the answer.

I don’t know, if there is anything this fan base knows it is bad QB play. He has this season to prove he is the guy, otherwise we need to draft another in round 1 (I know it won’t happen)

In Minnesota, we saw the flashes that could make Allen an elite franchise QB. 

In Green Bay, we saw the flashes that could make Allen a colossal bust. 

Yes, he certainly didn't get much help, but it was painfully obvious that he sucked today. 

Burn the tape and move on to Tennessee. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

I keep hearing these same excuses, and I agree to an extent. But here's the rub: good QBs, even rookie ones who are having a bad day, eventually step up and make something happen, turn nothing into something, etc. Allen didn't do that at all today. 

Ask yourself this, if Allen and Rodgers (who's playing on a bum leg) had traded places to start the day, what would the score have been? I bet it would have been 22-0 going the other way. Perhaps you might suggest it's unfair to compare a rookie to a future HOFer. Again, I agree. But don't tell me it's all the Oline and WRs fault. A good QB can neutralize that some, especially against an average defense...and to answer your question, the equally average Deadskins put up 31 points on that Packers D last week, so don't tell me they're some impenetrable unit. 

This is a ridiculous conversation to be having. He is a rookie QB, in his third full game, on a team with virtually no offensive weapons. It is not an excuse - it is an objective observation. Draw whatever conclusions you want. As for me, I think I will wait to see how he progresses over an actual season.

35 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Exactly, I don’t mind rookie growing pains. But you have to improve on the mistakes you make the previous week. Allen is having a lot of trouble diagnosing blitzes, throwing timing short passes, and continues to try rolling out and backwards to extend plays. If he does not improve in those areas he will not be a good NFL QB. He will be playing a similar zone blitzing 3-4 next week. Hopefully, he shows significant progress from this game. If he is not willing to take what the defense gives him it will be another long day.

NFL Week 4 Grades: Resurgent Patriots get an 'A,' rest of the AFC East fails miserably

Buffalo Bills: F

If the Bills want to take one positive out of this game, it's that Josh Allen made it through all four quarters alive. Allen got beat up by a Packers defense that sacked him seven times. Of course, even when Allen had to to throw, he wasn't great: The rookie threw two interceptions and lost a fumble. The Bills totaled only 145 yards, which was their lowest total since 2006. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Yeah we can start with putting the players around him that he actually needs

You dont know squat

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

Stop over reacting off one game.  He looked great last week, and he stunk this week.  Freaking relax everyone, he’s on a team devoid of talent on the offensive side of the ball.  He’s gonna have a lot of ups and downs, we just don’t have the talent on this team for any QB to be consistent.  He’s gonna take his lumps, and he’s a tough and smart kid, he will grow from it and learn from it.  

This is going to be a lonnnnnng season on this board

Game plan got cocky calling for longer plays downfield confident the protection would be there.

You did not see the extra TEs helping to protect.  Or plays designed to get the ball out asap.  Did we throw any screens?

The game plan was atrocious.  Allen reverted to the ridiculous habits of trying to scramble when the better option was often get rid of it or take a 5 yard sack not 15.  

Burn the tape.  Move on.  We play an even better D this week fyi.

Edited by Big Blitz