John Murphy - Underrated or Overrated as Announcer?

BuffaloRush

Is John Murphy Underrated Or Overrated?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Murphy Underrated or Overrated?

• Underrated
    • Overrated

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sad how little Ted Darling comes up when talking about Buffalo sports announcers. Cancer robbed him too early, but he was magnificent! Like Thurman to Barry Sanders, Ted kept Jennerette on the bench..

i don't remember ever hearing Ted Darling. growing up, we were big Bills fans but not real big sabres fans, or hockey fans in general. it wasn't until i was a bit older that i started following them, and listening to the radio call.

11 hours ago, dlonce said:

Not even close. Van had the pleasure of that. I believe Rick Azar did as well.

Murphy has a good radio voice,but I cannot stand his signature call of “Touchdown, touchdown,touchdown Buffalo.”

Three times. Really Murph? 

For some reason that annoys me.

My sentiments exactly. I like him, especially when you hear what else is out there on local radio. But I wince every time the Bills score a TD and I'm listening to the radio. 

12 hours ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

I would like to have the option of WGR (or whoever) on gamedays, but I get blocked if the Bill's are not broadcast on TV in my area. I've tried iheartradio.com and radio.com. 

Suggestions?

Get a subscription to Sirius - you can then get all the games with Murphy and Kelso.  Plus all the local commercials which I personally get a kick out of....I have that dam Celino and Barnes jingle stuck in my head.....

11 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

He’s ok.. I prefer to listen to Kelso because he gives great insight to what’s happening on the field.  

Couldn't agree more - Kelso really seems to be able to break the plays down in a way that is understandable for someone who doesn't watch film 24 hours a day....I also like when he gets fired up about bad calls.  

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

we are extremely spoiled to have been able to hear two of the all time greats in Van and Rick Jeanneret.

They are/were both great with enthusiasm , but Van made a lot of mistakes, and not just in his older years.  RJ would actually be the most perfect PBP man ever - if he only gave the score out once in awhile for those listening on the radio!!!

Why isn't their a properly rated option?

Why does he have to be overrated or underrated?

You get on people for making bad threads, wgr personalities for being boring, but this is about as dumb of a thread as I've seen. You make some bad threads.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I think he's rated appropriately, not over, not under. I think he's genuine and don't mind listening to him. Buffalo has lofty expectations after being privileged enough to hear Van Miller and Rick Jenneret for so long. I think Murphy does a good job with the hand he's been dealt.

9 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

He's one of those guys who simply tells you what's going on, which is fine, but Van Miller seemed to convey so much more than detail - he painted a picture that came through the speaker and made you feel like you were there. 

Exactly. That's what the greats do. Vin Scully is a perfect example.

Murphy is OK...Kevin Harlan is by far my favorite announcer. Listenting to him on the radio is almost like watching the game on TV with his vivid and detailed descriptions. Best in the business and it's not even close.

Edited by matter2003

During my years working the NFL broadcasts, I had the pleasure of working with Murph and names like Stan Barron, Jeff Kaye and Van Miller. I also worked radio broadcasts for numerous other team's radio crews. The single biggest takeaway is that we are one of the only home team radio crews that focus on calling an objective game. Every other crew that I worked with focused on the home-team perspective by using words like "we" and "us." The Bills radio crews always approached it from a non-partisan perspective. This was something that program director Bob Wood instilled at WBEN back in the 80's. It was something that was heavily embraced by Van Miller and by Jeff Kaye, who later ended up at NFL Films. This is something that we take for granted in Buffalo. However, it is simply not present anywhere else I have worked.

I worked with guys like Bob Lamey on the Colts radio team, Rick Weaver in Miami, Jim Gordon with the NY Giants, among others and with Eli Gold (Alabama) and Lee Corso on Citrus Bowl games. None of the play-by-play guys have exhibited a more professional non-biased perspective than the Bills broadcast team, thanks to the guidelines that Bob Wood established for them back in the 80's.

During those years, I spent more of my time producing the hockey broadcasts and the Bills pregame pieces. While at WBEN, I got to work closely with Rick, and Ted as producer for the Sabres broadcasts. These two, along with Mike Robitaille and Jim Lorentz likewise always provided a thoroughly professional and accurate picture of the live game environment. Since then, I had the good fortune of working with MRN Radio for years as technical director for the NASCAR radio broadcasts. There, executive producer John McMullin and later David Hyatt likewise embraced that same focus on objective reporting. I am blessed to have worked with such professionals over the many years.

While opinions will vary based on style, delivery, enthusiasm, etc, and you are all correct in ascertaining that the broadcast teams stay within the guidelines of what is good for the sport and the team which employs them, it is never appropriate to bring up controversial issues during a game broadcast. That is left for the sports talk shows. No matter what you might want to know, some things are better left unsaid during a live game in the interest of knowing all the facts. This is especially true with personnel issues.

All I can say today is that if you have not spent time listening to the other teams' radio broadcasts at length, you cannot appreciate how lucky we have been, and are today with the great talent we Bills fans get to listen to. Enjoy these great talents and I hope you appreciate it even more in the future.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sad how little Ted Darling comes up when talking about Buffalo sports announcers. Cancer robbed him too early, but he was magnificent! Like Thurman to Barry Sanders, Ted kept Jennerette on the bench..

Ted was the BOMB i use to love listening to that guy back in the day i wish they would have given him more attention in the NHL community !!