John Murphy - Underrated or Overrated as Announcer?

BuffaloRush

Is John Murphy Underrated Or Overrated?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Murphy Underrated or Overrated?

• Underrated
    • Overrated

In terms of any announcer, do you feel that John Murphy is Overrated or underrated as a. NFL announcer?  I think think he is somewhat underrated.   I’ve heard some other NFL announcers and they are hell to listen to.  Check out the Patriots radio broadcast and you’ll see what I mean.  

We have a very good announcer here in Buffalo that very few people recognize.  Unfortunately many people hold Murphy’s on-air loyalty to the team against him.  But he gets paid a healthy 6 figure salary - would you badmouth or talk negative about your employer if he paid you that!?!?!  

Over the past 10 years alone or so, he’s had several memorable calls that made moments very special.   For that reason i feel he is underrated, but I want to hear your thoughts.  

I voted for ( slightly) underrated. Murphy followed a legend, which immediately diminishes him to many. His milquetoast talk show also works against him here. He’s actually pretty good ( not great) as a play by play guy, and has an appealing voice. I’d also concur that many announcers voices are just grating, making for a tough listen. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

He has never really had the opportunity to call anything special. He's announced for some of the worst teams in the history of the franchise. No "fandamonium" or anything else when you're getting pummeled and missing the playoffs year after yer.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

He has never really had the opportunity to call anything special. He's announced for some of the worst teams in the history of the franchise. No "fandamonium" or anything else when you're getting pummeled and missing the playoffs year after yer.

He did have TRE DAY!  TRE DAY! TRE DAY!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, BuffaloRush said:

He did have TRE DAY!  TRE DAY! TRE DAY!

I also loved “Shady’s gonna score! Shady’s gonna score!” In the snow game. Definitely has had some memorable calls, and I definitely think he’s above average when listening to other teams broadcasts.

The guy in Philly’s voice is so annoying, I legitimately cannot listen to their broadcasts. I know the guy is a legend in Philly but... god almighty his voice is so grating.

I think he's pretty bad but I like him more than Van. The thing that irritated me about Van is that when the chips were down with the team he was just as emotional and despondent as me which dragged me down even more. The one strength that Murph has is that when things go bad on the field he remains relatively emotionally neutral (maybe he just doesn't care as much).  His neutrality is a therapeutic reminder that it's just a game.  

On 9/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, vincec said:

Not even close. Van had the pleasure of that. I believe Rick Azar did as well.

Murphy has a good radio voice,but I cannot stand his signature call of “Touchdown, touchdown,touchdown Buffalo.”

Three times. Really Murph? 

For some reason that annoys me.

• Like (+1) 1