John Murphy - Underrated or Overrated as Announcer?

BuffaloRush

Is John Murphy Underrated Or Overrated?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Murphy Underrated or Overrated?

• Underrated
    • Overrated

Since I've moved out of NY 10 years ago, I've listened to a lot of Bills games through the radio network.  I would say the following about Murph/Kelso:

Positives:

-Murph does a good job of reminding the listener of score, down/distance, etc.  That's an underrated quality that a lot of radio play-by-play men don't have.

-Murph tends to be fairly descriptive of what is occurring. (RJ, though he's great, often describes a player as being "down there" or something non-descriptive for a radio listener).

-Kelso is really good and does a good job explaining what was occurring, or offering advice on what he thinks the team should be doing.  I think Kelso has really progressed and got very good in his role.

-I also think for the most part Murph/Kelso are fairly realistic on the radio broadcast of where the team is.  (I don't listen to Murph's show, so I can't compare how much of a homer he is between the two).

-Murph and Kelso seem to have a good chemistry and don't talk over each other.

Negatives:

-Murph's emotion/energy level can be hard to "agree" with. Scoring a TD when you're down 20, I don't need the yelling/excitement.

-I didn't like the "Tre Day" call, or a lot of the nicknames that Murph uses.  

Overall, listening to other radio broadcasts, I think they're pretty good.  Listening to Murph is tough when he's always going to be compared to Van Miller and RJ, but that's a historically difficult job to follow up.

(I know the thread wasn't about Kelso, but I think it's better to analyze them as a team).

i went with underrated. he had the misfortune of following an absolute legend in Van Miller, but i think Murph does a very good job. as Buffalo sports fans, we are extremely spoiled to have been able to hear two of the all time greats in Van and Rick Jeanneret. Murph is very good at what he does, and with more talent, more big moments, and more important games, he will only be shown to be the announcer that he is. 

His radio show is awful. I worked as a a journalist for twenty years and to this day, I cannot fathom no one has pulled him aside and told him how to ask a question. 

As a play-by-play announcer, he’s better, but average. I agree with the notion that his emotions sound forced at times. I swear there are times he’s calling something that I wonder to myself if he hasn’t practiced the call in front of his bathroom mirror before. 

I’ve lived in Tampa, where the announcer actually sounds like a pirate and is a gigantic homer. I’ve also lived in Minneapolis and Houston where their announcers are also over the top homers. If i had to live with one of the four, it may actually be the guy in Minneapolis. Andre Ware is the color commentator for Houston and is as dry as can be. Sometimes I wonder if the play-by-play guy doesn’t have to

wake him up to have him comment. Kelso is far better. I love RJ. There’s just no one like him.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think he's pretty good on play by play...............But, I don't know if it's a function of my anxiety to know things right away, but he seems to not really give yardage info very good.  He'll be like it's complete and he's going for more, etc. - but I have no idea if it was complete for 5 yards or 25 by his description, and usually have to wait till the end of the play to find out. 

4 minutes ago, bbb said:

I think he's pretty good on play by play...............But, I don't know if it's a function of my anxiety to know things right away, but he seems to not really give yardage info very good.  He'll be like it's complete and he's going for more, etc. - but I have no idea if it was complete for 5 yards or 25 by his description, and usually have to wait till the end of the play to find out. 

This is my beef too. He is especially bad on running plays: it's hard to tell from his description whether the runner is breaking into the secondary or being chased out of bounds for a loss. It's hard to explain, but really great announcers give you a better feel for what they are seeing.

That said, I still enjoy listening to Murph and Kelso on my Sirius. It's the sound of home!

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Josh Do It said:

His radio show is awful. I worked as a a journalist for twenty years and to this day, I cannot fathom no one has pulled him aside and told him how to ask a question. 

As a play-by-play announcer, he’s better, but average. I agree with the notion that his emotions sound forced at times. I swear there are times he’s calling something that I wonder to myself if he hasn’t practiced the call in front of his bathroom mirror before. 

I’ve lived in Tampa, where the announcer actually sounds like a pirate and is a gigantic homer. I’ve also lived in Minneapolis and Houston where their announcers are also over the top homers. If i had to live with one of the four, it may actually be the guy in Minneapolis. Andre Ware is the color commentator for Houston and is as dry as can be. Sometimes I wonder if the play-by-play guy doesn’t have to

wake him up to have him comment. Kelso is far better. I love RJ. There’s just no one like him.

"Heres what I think, you agree, don't you?"

"The sky is blue, isn't it?"

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think much of him & the more i listen to him the less i like his insight ! He flip flops to much on players his knowledge is much less than it should be for some one that does football for a living Chris Brown has him beat 10 fold in the analysis part of players & the game !

His TD celebration calls seem a bit over the top & his nick names are less than original . 

All that being said i listen to the One Bills Live show but am listening to it less than i use to when Donald was on but i find the show much better when Chris Brown is on to give his insight . 

I live in Nashville TN & the Titans announcer has a much better delivery especially on the TD celebration announcements ! I know Murph isn't going any where for a while but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they found some one better suited to call the games !! IMO 

49 minutes ago, T master said:

I don't think much of him & the more i listen to him the less i like his insight ! He flip flops to much on players his knowledge is much less than it should be for some one that does football for a living Chris Brown has him beat 10 fold in the analysis part of players & the game !

His TD celebration calls seem a bit over the top & his nick names are less than original . 

All that being said i listen to the One Bills Live show but am listening to it less than i use to when Donald was on but i find the show much better when Chris Brown is on to give his insight . 

I live in Nashville TN & the Titans announcer has a much better delivery especially on the TD celebration announcements ! I know Murph isn't going any where for a while but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they found some one better suited to call the games !! IMO 

Touchdown touchdown touchdown Shady McCoy touchdown touchdown touchdown. 

Very slight exaggeration on my part.  lol 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

i went with underrated. he had the misfortune of following an absolute legend in Van Miller, but i think Murph does a very good job. as Buffalo sports fans, we are extremely spoiled to have been able to hear two of the all time greats in Van and Rick Jeanneret. Murph is very good at what he does, and with more talent, more big moments, and more important games, he will only be shown to be the announcer that he is. 

Sad how little Ted Darling comes up when talking about Buffalo sports announcers. Cancer robbed him too early, but he was magnificent! Like Thurman to Barry Sanders, Ted kept Jennerette on the bench..

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2018 at 7:37 PM, BuffaloRush said:

In terms of any announcer, do you feel that John Murphy is Overrated or underrated as a. NFL announcer?  I think think he is somewhat underrated.   I’ve heard some other NFL announcers and they are hell to listen to.  Check out the Patriots radio broadcast and you’ll see what I mean.  

We have a very good announcer here in Buffalo that very few people recognize.  Unfortunately many people hold Murphy’s on-air loyalty to the team against him.  But he gets paid a healthy 6 figure salary - would you badmouth or talk negative about your employer if he paid you that!?!?!  

Over the past 10 years alone or so, he’s had several memorable calls that made moments very special.   For that reason i feel he is underrated, but I want to hear your thoughts.  

The bigger question is how did your wife react to the fact that your faithless anti-Bills bet cost her five grand?