Micah Hyde's San Diego wife loves Buffalo

WhoTom

He is by far my favorite player now. I just got his jersey for tomorrow's game and next week's game. I was so ecstatic when we signed him. Green Bay never understood the value he offered during his time there. Plus, now that I live in northeast Iowa (you wanna talk about a place with nothing to do and we still manage to have fun all the time) it's even cooler he was a Hawkeye. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

As do I........Cool your jets, tiger....

Buffalo is certainly 'different'. You cannot compare the two, unless you have a compartmentalized view of what is 'Ideal' (Cough!)

The difference is your calling someone ignorant just because they have a different opinion as you...which is by definition ignorant.

7 hours ago, yall said:

Miami Beach nightclubs notwithstanding, what is it that doesn't exist in Buffalo that fuels people's perception that there is nothing to do?

We could use a Korean restaurant in the South towns, but other than that I've never had a problem with finding something to do in my 17 years here.

I think it’s just the several months of no sun every year depressing people into not wanting to do things. 

7 hours ago, Mango said:

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

I lived in Boston for a while, and there’s 5 different events/activities/things going on for each of the 10 things you’re into every week. In Buffalo there are less options. Depth is a little lacking if you will. 

Ive lived a bunch of places. I love Buffalo, it’s always been home, and is now too. It definitely gets a bad rap, it’s not the worst place, it has a ton going for it, I dig it, but it’s also not the absolute best, like some homers like to say it is. 

I think "absolute best" is really an absolute opinion.

Does not make someone a homer to prefer WNY, or any specific area.

5 different events for 10 things every week sounds terrible to me. Terrible. I hate that the road I live on gets just moderate traffic, and driving to/through Orchard Park last weekend was one of the more stressful/frustrating things I will do all year.

Not trying to trash anything or anyone, but Boston or any big city can suck a big fat one. I have no interest in population centers, and a few hours in the cornfield with my dogs or dropping a line in the river beats the living crap out of shopping on broadway, seeing Hamilton, the Boston marathon, or whatever. 

My opinion of course, and Buffalo really isn't my favorite either (too many folks), my point being if someone says Buffalo is best they are not wrong. It's the best for them.

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think it’s just the several months of no sun every year depressing people into not wanting to do things. 

That's when I do the most- when the sun doesn't oppress me. Nothing beats a good snow day.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, H2o said:

People say there's not much to do around here in VA, but you can find pretty much any scene you want in Richmond, VA. There's also a beach about an hour and a half away with VA Beach being a decent spot. It's not South Beach around here, it's not LA, it's not NO, or NYC, but nowhere is except those places. It just depends what you want in life with anywhere you are. If you want to rub elbows with the rich and famous then Buffalo isn't for you most likely, just like Richmond isn't for you. There are still people and plenty to get into though I'm sure. 

One thing you can say about both Buffalo and Richmond: plenty of fine restaurants.

• Like (+1) 1

Some things you just take for granted,

like living in San Diego California where the summer never ends, the women are beautiful and property values skyrocket faster than the stock market. 

Its paradise.  The grass IS greener 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I met her last week at Hammer's Lot. She's become a regular there.

She takes part in the Ketchup ceremony. She was very cool and super sweet.

I know her and Micah fairly well.

Your impressions of her are exact. She’s a fantastic young woman and her husband is a wonderful man.

She loves the area. In fact many former professional sports athletes and management guys love it here as well.

There are a bunch of them living in the area after they quit their professions. Why?

Ive asked a few of them this question, but I already knew the answer.  Small town feel, small town residents, diverse culture with diverse entertainment, all with a substantially low cost compared  to other parts of the country. Value. 

People don’t bother them and treat them as just another regular guy. Getting from point A to point B is without stress.

They say it’s a great place to raise a family and the school systems and Hospitals in this area are excellent.

Ive been all over the world, lived in many cities, and this area(Buffalo) is much,much better than San Diego, Atlanta, Detroit, NYC and

St.louis.

I guess it would depend on your age. My nephew as a young man lived in Manhattan, he loved it,loved the night life and the activity of a big city. When he grew up he hated it,moved around the country and came to the same conclusion as I have.

This is a great place.

• Like (+1) 2

It's funny, I lived in (and still live near) Dallas for 15 years now, and as much as I enjoy it, I still loved the times I went to Buffalo. I constantly hound my wife about taking another trip, and really think I'd enjoy living there. 

But who knows, maybe it's one of those places I'll love visiting, but moving there I'd have a different opinion.

6 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I think "absolute best" is really an absolute opinion.

Does not make someone a homer to prefer WNY, or any specific area.

5 different events for 10 things every week sounds terrible to me. Terrible. I hate that the road I live on gets just moderate traffic, and driving to/through Orchard Park last weekend was one of the more stressful/frustrating things I will do all year.

Not trying to trash anything or anyone, but Boston or any big city can suck a big fat one. I have no interest in population centers, and a few hours in the cornfield with my dogs or dropping a line in the river beats the living crap out of shopping on broadway, seeing Hamilton, the Boston marathon, or whatever. 

My opinion of course, and Buffalo really isn't my favorite either (too many folks), my point being if someone says Buffalo is best they are not wrong. It's the best for them.

That's when I do the most- when the sun doesn't oppress me. Nothing beats a good snow day.

Thank you. I don’t live there but i would love to live there again if given that opportunity and where I do live is not too different. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to these decisions. 

I believe it was an interview with Jeremy Jacobs (Delaware North, Boston Bruins owner) from years ago where he said there's only one thing harder than getting someone to move to Buffalo.

The interviewer laughed and said what could that be?

Jacobs replied, getting them to move away.....