Is Binghamton Bills country?

greenyellowred

28 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Good Lord. 

My brother lives in Los Angeles. He's a Bills fan. By your logic, that means Los Angeles is Bills country.

..have your dog take you for a walk...thought perhaps your high horse attitude had changed...guess I effed up........

7 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Bills have quite a number of fans along I-81.  Second only to the Giants.  If Eli had not won two SB along with SU alum Tom Coughlin there would be considerably fewer Giants fans.  A lot of the Giants fanbase was built up before the AFL came into existence.  Back in the day you went along with whomever dad and grandpa were rooting for but that is not so anymore.  The appeal of going to a game is big with a number of people and it is far easier for Joe Fan from Syracuse to obtain a ticket and drive to Orchard Park than it is to Jersey.

..great analysis......geography does not preclude fans from outside that territory from being rabid supporters elsewhere...nice job bud....:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..have your dog take you for a walk...thought perhaps your high horse attitude had changed...guess I effed up........

..great analysis......geography does not preclude fans from outside that territory from being rabid supporters elsewhere...nice job bud....:thumbsup:

The Bills have a number of fans outside the traditional boundaries of WNY which is a major reason why the NFL signed off on approving the Pegula's as the Bills' owners.  The NFL is also trusting that the Pegula's will go the next step in marketing from what Ralph did which is to draw big spending fans from further away.  No way would the NFL approve an owner that only intended to market the Bills to the extreme west end of New York State and no further.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If you walked into a Binghamton - or, hell even Syracuse - sports bar and said "Turn on the Bills game - I'm in Bills country" people would literally laugh in your face until you walked out in shame.

Wayne- How does SU Orange sports do down in Binghamton?  I live in Syracuse, and football fans here are primarily SU Orange/college football fans first, then comes the NFL.

Most NFL fans here in Syracuse follow the Buffalo Bills.  It's not uncommon to find Bills fans from Syracuse, at Bills home games.  Metlife is way too far for any Giants fan to travel to from Syracuse.   

It’s Giants territory followed by the Bills.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

"Bills Country" goes from Buffalo to Rochester. You can also include the Ontario region of Canada if you want. That's where "Bills Country" ends.

If you walked into a Binghamton - or, hell even Syracuse - sports bar and said "Turn on the Bills game - I'm in Bills country" people would literally laugh in your face until you walked out in shame.

Except that isn’t true.

• Like (+1) 1

I was born in Binghamton, parents are from Greene and Harpursville, we moved up into Rochester area when I was around 5 ... most of my family lives in the Binghamton area ... some of my family were Bills fans but not die-hard fans ... Syracuse used to be the line where Bills country kinda faded off ...didn't help the jets used to hold training camp in Cortland, which is not far south of Syracuse (so between Syracuse and Binghamton )

1 hour ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

If the Bills weren't such an historically inept franchise - punctuated by the 17-year playoff drought that killed an entire generation of potential fans - then I'd say that "Bills territory" would probably encompass all of New York state north and west of Putnam and Rockland Counties.

If the Bills were a winning franchise, areas further east from even Binghamton might see more Bills fans as well as be Bills Country.  I've run into people from Albany and further north who are Patriots fans.  Seriously, you're from upstate NY and you're a Pats* fan!?  Sad.  Winning will fix this, but they have to start winning for younger people to be Bills fans.

9 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

If the Bills were a winning franchise, areas further east from even Binghamton might see more Bills fans as well as be Bills Country.  I've run into people from Albany and further north who are Patriots fans.  Seriously, you're from upstate NY and you're a Pats* fan!?  Sad.  Winning will fix this, but they have to start winning for younger people to be Bills fans.

When the Pats start losing again those Albany Pats fans will be no place to be found.  

54 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

Wayne- How does SU Orange sports do down in Binghamton?  I live in Syracuse, and football fans here are primarily SU Orange/college football fans first, then comes the NFL.

Most NFL fans here in Syracuse follow the Buffalo Bills.  It's not uncommon to find Bills fans from Syracuse, at Bills home games.  Metlife is way too far for any Giants fan to travel to from Syracuse.   

I'd say that at least 60 percent of the Syracuse area NFL fans have their allegiance with the Bills.

I’ve lived here all my life (Johnson City) to be exact. It’s mainly Giants 60%  and I would say 20% Bills/Jets and the rest is all random. At least in my opinion anyhow. 

I see you went to our WingFest today.....thoughts?

Also...Thank you very much for not spelling it “Binghampton”!!!!! One of my biggest pet peeves lol

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

It’s Giants territory followed by the Bills.

Except that isn’t true.

It’s not even remotely true. I go out to watch games all the time and they are always on. In fact sometimes the Jets/Giants are on local affiliatea over Buffalo and there’s a huge uptick in Bills fans at local bars when that happens. 

Edited by Tierlifer
  • Like (+1) 1

I live in WNY and the teams you mentioned have a much bigger following than Buffalo. From Rochester southeast to Bath and west from there to Jamestown is Bills country. But Many fans picked up other teams simply because they got tired of watching the Bills lose. It has been this way since the last SB loss to Dallas. It is great to see BillsBacker groups from all over posted on the board. Many of my friends are not Bills fans and don't understand how I can be  after the dismal losing seasons and the 4 SB losses. I have raised my son on the Bills, taking him to both preseason and regular season games. But his interest is on the individual players of the team and he has no emotional connection to the Bills. (Thanks Fantasy Football)

Edited by DRA3196

33 minutes ago, DRA3196 said:

I live in WNY and the teams you mentioned have a much bigger following than Buffalo. From Rochester southeast to Bath and west from there to Jamestown is Bills country. But Many fans picked up other teams simply because they got tired of watching the Bills lose. It has been this way since the last SB loss to Dallas. It is great to see BillsBacker groups from all over posted on the board. Many of my friends are not Bills fans and don't understand how I can be  after the dismal losing seasons and the 4 SB losses. I have raised my son on the Bills, taking him to both preseason and regular season games. But his interest is on the individual players of the team and he has no emotional connection to the Bills. (Thanks Fantasy Football)

The same can be said for some WNYer's as sad as that is 

I'm in Bath, 2 hours to the west, and this area is a blend of Bills and Giants fans with others (especially Steelers fans) mixed in.  I'm guessing the further east you go the more Giants influence you will encounter.  

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That and the Bills have been bad to mediocre for so long, they are not getting enough younger fans.

This is a problem.

The kids who grew up during the SB era and idolized the team started buying tickets about when Donahoe took over and are now reaching middle age.

Kids born since the MCM have had no reason to root for the Bills.........this makes a BIG difference the further you get from the stadium.

That drought ran nearly 3x as long as any previous run of futility in club history........it was truly horrendous and it will take a lot to get some of that territory back.