Is Binghamton Bills country?

greenyellowred

For a few years the Jets had training camp in Cortland, which isn’t far from Binghamton. They probably knew there was a fan base to draw from.

Bandwagoners are everywhere, thus the Pats stuff.

As a Utica area person, I can attest to the fact that much of the fan base here is split between Giants and Bills. I imagine in Binghamton the draw of the New York City teams is stronger.

Also, the college crowd in Binghamton has a large New York City area contingent. 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

There is certain "Degenerate" in Horseheads that would disagree... "Not even close?"

Give him hell (or are You an outlier):

@Degenerate Mike in HHDS

Last I checked, Binghamton and Horseheads are not the same. Did they recently expand the city of Binghamton to include all of the land 60 miles west of it?

1 hour ago, FrenchConnection said:

That part of NYS tends to be an extension of NYC in its sports fandom. Met Life is closer by an hour and the Giants used to have their training camp in Albany. This map is a bit old, but it gives you an idea of the limited geographical reach of Bills Mafia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/matadornetwork.com/read/mapped-where-to-find-fans-of-your-nfl-team-across-the-us/amp/

Unless this map is so old it pre-dates the Jets, this map is not very accurate. Jets are Long Island at least. Eagles space too small. Bills goes a little further and definitely goes into Canada so it is misleading. GB and the Bears are about 50/50 along the Wisconsin/Illinois border. I bet there are other issues too. 

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There is certain "Degenerate" in Horseheads that would disagree... "Not even close?"

Give him hell (or are You an outlier):

@Degenerate Mike in HHDS

I think it may be time to rename Horseheads anyway. The name is quite insensitive. Horses the world over are offended. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

It’s as simple as this. Binghamton is a few hours away from a number of different NFL teams.  Why would they choose a regular loser?

Erie, PA is on line one calling! 

16 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Last I checked, Binghamton and Horseheads are not the same. Did they recently expand the city of Binghamton to include all of the land 60 miles west of it?

You said: "Not even close."

60 miles is close.

So yes... Binghamton is close to Bills Country, if not already in it.

14 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

..but without splitting geographic hairs, the I-90 East corridor to Albany as well as the I-81 South corridor to Binghamton(or even I-81 north to Watertown), including neighboring Elmira, Cortland, Horseheads, etc are all somewhat Bills country generically....so stop nitpicking.....more importantly and relative to the St John Fisher camp. why would you alienate that contingent by adding at least 1.5 hours to their travel time by eliminating the Rochester based camp?.....Pegula owns the AHL Rochester Americans and just took over managing their arena....he also now owns the Rochester based lacrosse franchise.....why invest further in the Rochester sports community if you'll pull the plug on Fisher camp, alienating your Rochester fan base as well as adding travel time to the aforementioned fan base?...make any sense??..............

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..but without splitting geographic hairs, the I-90 East corridor to Albany as well as the I-81 South corridor to Binghamton(or even I-81 north to Watertown), including neighboring Elmira, Cortland, Horseheads, etc are all somewhat Bills country generically....so stop nitpicking.....more importantly and relative to the St John Fisher camp. why would you alienate that contingent by adding at least 1.5 hours to their travel time by eliminating the Rochester based camp?.....Pegula owns the AHL Rochester Americans and just took over managing their arena....he also now owns the Rochester based lacrosse franchise.....why invest further in the Rochester sports community if you'll pull the plug on Fisher camp, alienating your Rochester fan base as well as adding travel time to the aforementioned fan base?...make any sense??..............

"Bills Country" goes from Buffalo to Rochester. You can also include the Ontario region of Canada if you want. That's where "Bills Country" ends.

If you walked into a Binghamton - or, hell even Syracuse - sports bar and said "Turn on the Bills game - I'm in Bills country" people would literally laugh in your face until you walked out in shame.

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

"Bills Country" goes from Buffalo to Rochester. You can also include the Ontario region of Canada if you want. That's where "Bills Country" ends.

If you walked into a Binghamton - or, hell even Syracuse - sports bar and said "Turn on the Bills game - I'm in Bills country" people would literally laugh in your face until you walked out in shame.

...tell that to Shaw66 who commutes to home games from Connecticut......broaden your perceived fan horizon......I'd bet there are others as well..............

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...tell that to Shaw66 who commutes to home games from Connecticut......broaden your perceived fan horizon......I'd bet there are others as well..............

What the hell does that have to do with anything? Good Lord. 

My brother lives in Los Angeles. He's a Bills fan. By your logic, that means Los Angeles is Bills country.

If the Bills weren't such an historically inept franchise - punctuated by the 17-year playoff drought that killed an entire generation of potential fans - then I'd say that "Bills territory" would probably encompass all of New York state north and west of Putnam and Rockland Counties.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

There are Bills sports bars in Syracuse.  

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

The Bills have quite a number of fans along I-81.  Second only to the Giants.  If Eli had not won two SB along with SU alum Tom Coughlin there would be considerably fewer Giants fans.  A lot of the Giants fanbase was built up before the AFL came into existence.  Back in the day you went along with whomever dad and grandpa were rooting for but that is not so anymore.  The appeal of going to a game is big with a number of people and it is far easier for Joe Fan from Syracuse to obtain a ticket and drive to Orchard Park than it is to Jersey.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

There are also Bills sports bars in San Diego and San Francisco. And probably in other countries as well.

Yeah, but more than just a couple like there would be for SF and SD.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

But at least it’s in the state of New York, unlike the Jets and Giants. (I just have to throw that in whenever I can.) 

It's Giants territory with the Bills and Jets running even seconds.  And like anyplace else you are going to have GB, Steelers, and the hot team (NE) fans.  The hot team fans in those towns are dirt cheap so they use their old SF and Cowpie jerseys to dust the house with along with wiping down the dog after the dog's bath.  In a few years the Brady number 12's will line the bottom of the doghouse.