Is Binghamton Bills country?

greenyellowred

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

That part of NYS tends to be an extension of NYC in its sports fandom. Met Life is closer by an hour and the Giants used to have their training camp in Albany. This map is a bit old, but it gives you an idea of the limited geographical reach of Bills Mafia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/matadornetwork.com/read/mapped-where-to-find-fans-of-your-nfl-team-across-the-us/amp/

Nice map! Thanks for posting that FrenchConnection.

These fans must be bandwagoners and not diehard Bills fans.

9 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I grew up there during the Super Bowl years. Even back then, Giants fans far outnumbered Bills fans. But today, Bills fans are a relic in the southern tier of Central NY. 

I consider Horseheads, Elmira and Corning to be huge Bills area so must be we are in WNY

• Like (+1) 5

14 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That part of NYS tends to be an extension of NYC in its sports fandom. Met Life is closer by an hour and the Giants used to have their training camp in Albany. This map is a bit old, but it gives you an idea of the limited geographical reach of Bills Mafia.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/matadornetwork.com/read/mapped-where-to-find-fans-of-your-nfl-team-across-the-us/amp/

The Giants are helped that they predate the AFL by a generation and a half.  If great grandpa was a Giants fan back during WWII then if he had anything to say about it junior and grand junior were also Giants fans.  Also, I am old enough to have seen people really have to look hard in Boston to find a Patriots jersey during the days of Grogan and Hannah.

Edited by RochesterRob

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

Love that place! I'm HHDS Highschool class of 05. Many many many people here are Giants fans I noticed, probably 60/40 Bills to Giants fan ratio.

Young pup! LOL. 1978 grad of Elmira ND. Yes there are a lot of Giants fans what you seldom see is any Jets fans

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I grew up there during the Super Bowl years. Even back then, Giants fans far outnumbered Bills fans. But today, Bills fans are a relic in the southern tier of Central NY. 

I grew up in the Binghamton area pre to during Super Bowl years and always remember a big NY Giants contingent, good amount of Bills fans, with a few Jets fans here and there.  Binghamton was always in the middle of Bills and NYG territory, though a little closer to NYC than Buffalo; we usually got both the Bills and Giants games on the local stations every Sunday.  Very few Steelers and Eagles fans, and pretty much no Patriots fans back then.  I've been gone from the area for quite a while now, so it looks like there is currently a mix of fans since many of the people living in the area back then left for greener pastures.  That and the Bills have been bad to mediocre for so long, they are not getting enough younger fans.

Just now, Happy Gilmore said:

I grew up in the Binghamton area pre to during Super Bowl years and always remember a big NY Giants contingent, good amount of Bills fans, with a few Jets fans here and there.  Binghamton was always in the middle of Bills and NYG territory, though a little closer to NYC than Buffalo; we usually got both the Bills and Giants games on the local stations every Sunday.  Very few Steelers and Eagles fans, and pretty much no Patriots fans back then.  I've been gone from the area for quite a while now, so it looks like there is currently a mix of fans since many of the people living in the area back then left for greener pastures.  That and the Bills have been bad to mediocre for so long, they are not getting enough younger fans.

I lived in Ithaca during the glory days of the Sack Exchange, O'Brien,  Al Toon, etc. and usually Ithaca would have a Jets game in place of a Bills game but the Jets were often a late game (4PM) so the Bills would be on at 1PM in that case.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

I lived in Ithaca during the glory days of the Sack Exchange, O'Brien,  Al Toon, etc. and usually Ithaca would have a Jets game in place of a Bills game but the Jets were often a late game (4PM) so the Bills would be on at 1PM in that case.

Good point.  Sometimes the local Binghamton NBC station would have the Jets at 1pm during the Sack Exchange years (Jets were good, Bills stunk) and I'd have to tune into the Elmira NBC station to get the 1pm Bills game.  I remember the picture being fuzzy, but I didn't care, I'd rather watch the Bills anyway - couldn't stand the Jets.

1 hour ago, greenyellowred said:

I am visiting Binghamton today from California. I see tons of Pittsburgh, Giants, Jets, and New England hats and jersey, even a Denver one, but no Bills paraphernalia. This ws both in an area Wegmans in Horseheads and at a festival at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton. What gives? I am not happy. Why would anyone support those loser teams?

[Sorry I can’ post more pics, but I am on my phone.]

BB97_DD4_C-14_DD-456_D-99_E6-5_B2_AD83_E

More pics: 65_BB0_D77-_C3_F2-4_F57-8555-_C7_E116_A9

7613621_C-_D9_A9-49_A9-_BF02-_AC61_B8161

76_FC0180-_FE21-46_D2-_BAED-2_FE16_E9_DF

I can only speak for myself, but i wlda taken your word for it.  Taking 'pics or it didnt happen' to a new level;)

That said, the opposite way - Utica/Watertown is technically Bills country. Utica for example even though its slightly closer to BUF than NYC was always Jets territory UNTIL the Bills started winning in the 90s. They changed to Bills on local tv and never went back. 

I dont have the pictures to prove it, but Utica stores seem to offer equal Giants, Jets, and Bills gear. The NJ teams seem to sell MUCH better and as a result - its a GREAT area to buy clearence Bills stuff CHEAP. 

The Burlington and Marshalls always sell out of the super discounted Nike Bills stuff QUICK, so its cool to walk in those stores there and have the pick of the litter of $150 Bills jackets, hoodiesx and polos for $20. Little pro tip fwiw

Just literally got stopped during my lunch,and asked about the bills hoody I was wearing. I’m from Long Island where it’s such a shock to see a Bills fan where other fans will stop, and ask you the backstory of your fandom. I usually end it after a nice chat that I have to root for the true NY team. That usually gets a glare or chuckle. 

1 hour ago, greenyellowred said:

I am visiting Binghamton today from California. I see tons of Pittsburgh, Giants, Jets, and New England hats and jersey, even a Denver one, but no Bills paraphernalia. This ws both in an area Wegmans in Horseheads and at a festival at NYSEG Stadium in Binghamton. What gives? I am not happy. Why would anyone support those loser teams?

[Sorry I can’ post more pics, but I am on my phone.]

BB97_DD4_C-14_DD-456_D-99_E6-5_B2_AD83_E

More pics: 65_BB0_D77-_C3_F2-4_F57-8555-_C7_E116_A9

7613621_C-_D9_A9-49_A9-_BF02-_AC61_B8161

76_FC0180-_FE21-46_D2-_BAED-2_FE16_E9_DF

Why did the pictures stop? I...need....morrrrrre