Playing Bills is like having an extra quasi-byeweek

Inigo Montoya

11 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dalvin Cook is sitting this week.  I think we will see this more and more moving forward where teams take advantage of a Bills game on the schedule to rest their starters with any type of an injury.

‘Tis true. 3 games in and two of the opponents had upcoming Thursday night games. Baltimore rested players the second half, we’ll see what Minny does.

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i know the scenario is a bit different but....

sometime back i remember the Bills having a shot at the playoffs. win and with a Jets loss, they were in but they had to win. not only did the Bills lose to a team holding out their star running back, the team we played, the Steelers, held out almost their entire starting line up. they beat us that day with mostly second stringers. not to mention sprinkled in were thrird stringers and even practice squad players. 

yes, it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Maybe I am misreading the OP. 

Resting starters all game or in the 4the because of a blowout are 2 different things.  

Oh and thanks for that painful reminder of the 6 game win streak  burning to a crisp.  

If you have nothing to lose or gain sure I can agree would that premise 

week 3 and week 16 or 17 is a bit different. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Maybe I am misreading the OP. 

Resting starters all game or in the 4the because of a blowout are 2 different things.  

Oh and thanks for that painful reminder of the 6 game win streak  burning to a crisp.  

If you have nothing to lose or gain sure I can agree would that premise 

week 3 and week 16 or 17 is a bit different. 

i heard there was this guy who bet 5k on the Vikes and the spread. would suck to be him and see the vikes rest all their stars and only win by 16.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I already bet $5000 on it being the worst.

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

“Utterly horrible”

”ashamed”

”disgraceful”

Dear Transplant,

How dare I suggest that teams would consider resting their starters against the Bills this season.  I’m sure the fact the Vikings are playing the Bills this week had absolutely nothing to do with their decision to shut down Dalvin Cook for the week and let him rest up for a road game against the Rams next week.  Nothing at all.

In fact, Transplant, that notion is so utterly horrible, shameful, and disgraceful that I am giving myself a strong verbal reprimand and placing myself on Double Secret Probation as soon as I finish this post!

I am so grateful there are self-appointed stewards of anonymous chat board standards, like yourself, cruising around the internet in the wee hours of the morning who have the spare time and energy to feel offended and take umbrage at the posts of others.  It’s nice to see that all those years of being a Hall Monitor in high school weren’t a complete waste of time for you.

Some people would say that you are just trying to be a jerk, but I would defend you against that specious charge.  I don’t think you intentionally try to act like a jerk, I think it just comes to you naturally.

All my best,

Inigo   ?

While I disagree vehemently with the premise of the OP, and have already made my reasons for doing so clear to Inigo, I fully support his constitutional right to bring it in the first place ?. Besides would be boring if no contrarians around these parts

I don't think this is as dumb as seemingly everyone is suggesting.  Actually OP I would absolutely believe a team playing us would rest certain players for that game.  Smart people made the argument against us getting Mack saying a player like that is great but doesn't actually lead to wins.  I've heard this about Bell in Pittsburgh as well.  If you have even a good player rest against us I don't think it would have a chance at changing the outcome.  17 points?  That's a ridiculous spread that all but guarantees a loss.  

• Like (+1) 1

Inigo is free to post whatever he likes, it goes without saying. Just as everyone else is well within their right to comment on how worthless his post is. Essentially this post is saying nothing more than "the bills are really bad, and other teams think so too". I mean, how about some insight? Some commentary that warrants our attention? On one hand, I don't want to come down too hard on anyone's post, but on the other, I think the harsh responses serve as a deterrent for others to post whatever inane thought pops into their head....

I know, one can only hope....

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Dalvin Cook is sitting this week.  I think we will see this more and more moving forward where teams take advantage of a Bills game on the schedule to rest their starters with any type of an injury.

No team is going to look past the Bills. Every game has the same value and with only 16 games in a season taking a day off isn’t in the cards. Some might go cruise control if they have a substantial lead but this is the NFL and the only bye weeks are the ones you actually have off. 

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think your idea has some realm of realism. I think that all things considered if a team has a guy that is a close call on if he can/can't play it might make the coaches descision a bit easier. This week if I'm the head coach of the Vikings and see the Bills on the schedule with a short week and the Rams coming up I would absolutely rest a banged up guy or 2 as long as I had a competent replacement. There are only 16 games, dont want to risk someone Like Cook aggravating his injury and being out 4 or 5 weeks when Murray should be enough to get the job done.

• Like (+1) 1

I did not think this topic/post would be inane or controversial.  I thought I was making the point that a team was resting a star player against us and that I believe if it was a divisional game for the Vikings, and not a game against a bottom three team like the Bills, that decision to rest Cook might swing differently.  I suspect that similar decisions in the weeks ahead will break the same way until the Bills show that they can be competitive, and we haven’t been close to competitive in the first two weeks of the season.

Scrolling above I see people posting thoughts on both sides of my position.  It seems like that is the purpose here, to share thoughts and kick ideas around.  I’m not sure what some on this board expect to be posted on Friday nights after the Thursday night game has already been chewed to death and two days before Sunday kickoff.   

I don’t post here often but I do try to read most of the threads on here.  There are some threads that I read the title and skip because I don’t think it would interest me.  There is a thread now about a Cleveland Browns football reporter banned from the sidelines.  Not my cup of tea but it would never occur to me to make a post criticizing the OP for creating the thread.  If they believed that others would be interested in that subject that’s great.

If anyone is really bored and wants to hit my profile and go back and read all of my posts you might find that I will disagree with people without being disagreeable.  I’m happy to agree to disagree and don’t take a difference of opinion as a personal affront . My response to Transplant’s dive bombing of me and my post today is the first time I’ve ever responded in kind to a negative post.  I have never seen much point in getting into a back and forth on an anonymous message board, but there also comes a time when you have to stand up for yourself.

Reading this board is supposed to be an enjoyable pass time for all of us, I assume that's why we’re all here. If my post offended your sensibilities, my sincere apologies, it certainly wasn’t my intention.  If you think my stated position is dead wrong, I’m fine with that too, and lastly, if you agree with my salient point that teams are going to keep sleep walking on the Bills until we show them we can be competitive, then it shows that you are a person possessed of unusually keen intellect and moral turpitude.  ?

Inigo

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Honestly it’s why I wouldn’t play McCoy. 

We have NO shot at winning. Why bust McCoy’s ribs even further?

Lets do a tactical retreat in an effort to at least win one game. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

What is the point of winning 1 game?

If we aren't going to be competitive enough to have a shot at making the playoffs (we aren't) and if we already know we are likely a bottom 3 team in the league (we are) then the only thing that could come out of winning a game is screwing up our ability to secure the #1 overall draft pick.

I.E., this season was over before began.  Lose out.  Why not?

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

I agree we should rest McCoy.  Not because we have no shot at winning (any given Sunday, Dude!), but until we sort the run blocking out we have no shot at using McCoy effectively, and what he's having to do with the run blocking AFU as it is, is just brutal.  Murphy can do it as well and Ivory better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1