BR: "Josh Allen: Throwing velocity analysis"

I was going to write a long reply about giving Allen a little slack for this being just his FIRST START in the NFL.  But why bother?  Those of you that have made up your minds about him already won't listen anyway.  Of course, you all that are the most gloom and doom are the one's who chime in most often due to your aching need to share your cynical opinions with the rest of us who just want to support our team and try to stay positive through it all (as if we give a damn)(apologies for the run-on sentence). Seriously, why do you even bother continuing to be a Bills fan if you think this team is so crappy?  You guys might want to talk to your doctors about anti-depressants or something.  (No doubt some of you will now feel the overwhelming urge to refute my opinion and be compelled to bash me for daring to say anything)

On a side note, what I don't feel is talked about enough is Allen's other-worldly-fast wind-up and release.  It's just ridiculous how quickly he snaps and fires that ball out.  It's like a one millisecond, single movement and BAM it's out and down the field.  I'm not sure I've ever seen another QB with that fast of a wind-up and release, at least not in recent memory.  IMO that attribute alone can be a huge asset.  It doesn't give defenders any time to adjust to where they think he might be throwing.  And once they all realize how fast his release is, his pump fake could be deadly.

21 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Seems like what is impressive about Allen is the ease to which he can throw a bullet of a pass. He can put a lot of zip on a ball without having to throw his whole body into it. Then when he throws his body into it he can launch it seemingly 70 plus yards. Dude is still raw but if he can continue to work on his footwork he can go places (I believe that his decision making will only improve with time.)

Even watching him throw those 80 yard passes (and yes, the ball did travel at least 80 yards through the air), he put his body into it but it still looked too easy as if he could have done more if he needed to.  I'm sure that's not the case but damn, how do you throw it that hard so effortlessly? 

If he doesn't end up being the franchise savior, he'll still be very fun to watch for just his God-given howitzer of an arm.  We're probably watching the strongest arm ever in the NFL to-date.  Enjoy it while it lasts folks.  I remember Bledsoe displaying his cannon in that shoot-out against Minnesota, ironically, many years ago.  That was fun to watch but Allen can chuck it even farther than Drew.

Edited by Generic Screen Name 2

i would love to see more play fake from allen.  i forget who i was listening to and the exact play that i saw but,  he has the best fake, ( i and whoever was the guest on the show at the time) have seen since boomer. man that really impressed the hell out of me because that freezes that defense for a full second. i'm going to have to look that up. didn't really see that done last week.

also the point was made that he can wait that extra half a second to release the ball because he can drive the ball so fast..i like it, i really am rooting for the kid. i love his bio and the whole story. i wanted mayfield, but long term we could end up having drafted the best one of the bunch.

Edited by billsredneck1

10 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i would love to see more play fake from allen.  i forget who i was listening to and the exact play that i saw but,  he has the best fake, ( i and whoever was the guest on the show at the time) have seen since boomer. man that really impressed the hell out of me because that freezes that defense for a full second. i'm going to have to look that up. didn't really see that done last week.

also the point was made that he can wait that extra half a second to release the ball because he can drive the ball so fast..i like it, i really am rooting for the kid. i love his bio and the whole story. i wanted mayfield, but long term we could end up having drafted the best one of the bunch.

I do too.  Right now it seems Daboll has in more shotguns to help with his vision.

As he becomes more comfortable I expect to see him more under center, then I bet we see more play action.

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do too.  Right now it seems Daboll has in more shotguns to help with his vision.

As he becomes more comfortable I expect to see him more under center, then I bet we see more play action.

i gotta look this one particular instance up, but it was the first thing that went through my mind, is that i haven't seen a fake like that since boomer.  he's gonna twist some ankles in the future.

20 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I have no idea why anyone cares about how hard a QB can throw the football. 

Most of the top QBs in the NFL right now have mediocre arms. 

It just gives the media and some posters something to chat about. Most of us just care about completions, moving the chains, etc.

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think the shotgun we are seeing more often is also to buy him more time because of the line breaking down and not holding their blocks. Definitely a combo of the two. Hopefully the line gels allowing for more of Allen lining up under center.

5 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

If Allen’s passes can look 75% as good as Mayfield’s, he will be a pretty good QB. Whether he can get there or not remains questionable. 

I would love to see Mayfield play with the offense Allen does. Then you can compare them. I saw them on the same team in the Senior Bowl and Allen was easily the better qb. Mayfield only played a few series, but still didn't look good. Allen didn't worry if he didn't look good. He took a big chance and asked to play in the 2nd half because he knew he could play better. I won't say Baker used his mom as an excuse, but he wasn't even supposed to be there the day of the game. Then could only stay for two series? If anyone questioned it they are an ass because they would have to bring up football before family. So Baker has a built in excuse. Allen is all business. He doesn't skip out on anything, he never tried to hide anything. All the more reason to like him. We won't get into all the time Baker had in his debut. Or how his receivers caught what he threw to them. It kills me how people try and support their agenda by omitting things that help their cause.

10 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m waiting for the day when we can talk about the accuracy and touch that Allen displays. I don’t know if those are things he’s capable of, but for our benefit I sure hope he is. There are times when velocity matters, but I’d say that there or more frequent times when touch and accuracy outweigh it.

When he slings it the pass needs to be right on the money because the receiver doesn’t have time to adjust. If he can learn touch and display the ability to throw receivers open (he dies some of this with his back shoulder throws) & hit them in stride then watch out.

In 2016 his receivers in college were able to catch the fastballs thrown by Allen. Now why can't a pro receiver who gets paid millions be able to catch them? Maybe he needs new receivers perhaps?

36 minutes ago, BB@Shooter said:

I would love to see Mayfield play with the offense Allen does. Then you can compare them. I saw them on the same team in the Senior Bowl and Allen was easily the better qb. Mayfield only played a few series, but still didn't look good. Allen didn't worry if he didn't look good. He took a big chance and asked to play in the 2nd half because he knew he could play better. I won't say Baker used his mom as an excuse, but he wasn't even supposed to be there the day of the game. Then could only stay for two series? If anyone questioned it they are an ass because they would have to bring up football before family. So Baker has a built in excuse. Allen is all business. He doesn't skip out on anything, he never tried to hide anything. All the more reason to like him. We won't get into all the time Baker had in his debut. Or how his receivers caught what he threw to them. It kills me how people try and support their agenda by omitting things that help their cause.

Hey, I don’t have any agenda that doesn’t include wanting Allen to be a franchise QB. Yes, even the lowly Browns have more to work with on offense than the Bills. Denying that Mayfield threw several pinpoint passes ( yes WRs caught them) serves no purpose, though.   A senior Bowl is interesting, but it’s not a team where anyone has practiced together for long. I wouldn’t get too excited or concerned about a performance in that game. We have only a small sample size to go on here, but that’s how it is. I like a lot of what Allen brings to the table ( though I liked Mayfield better overall and still do) but there are concerns. The early conclusion is that in addition to reading defenses ( should improve with experience) Allen must develop touch on medium range to short passes and improve ball placement to allow YAC. If he cannot get better at this, he will fail. I’m as invested as the next Bills fan in Allen being a star. It would be crazy to say it isn’t  still very much a question. The talent level on the Browns is closer to the Bills than say, what Mahomes has with KC. 

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Im a blast but dont joke about tragedy.  Just not who I am. I happen to know the hurt from sudden tragic death. Stings forever.

That joke was in very poor taste. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

The dichotomy of Josh Allen.

Looks awesome standing back there. Stands tall, keeps eyes downfield, never afraid to get hit, will throw at any point...

...but he just isn't making the reads. We may have have to just get some burners at WR and have them run posts, sluggos, and 9's. Then he can just look deep. Be a "chunk play" offense if we have to. We have to make it work with this kid.

Or maybe he learns how to read a defense. If that happens, he could be scary (good).

Lol where are you guys getting this? He's barely fricking played yet. 

Who cares?   Touch, anticipation, and progressions are way more important.   Also, a lot of his passes have been dropped due to him throwing 50mph passes on a short 10 yard pass.

Having a powerful arm is the icing on the cake, at least it should be.   You draft a guy just because he can throw 70 yard bombs.   It means very little in the NFL today. 

7 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Who cares?   Touch, anticipation, and progressions are way more important.   Also, a lot of his passes have been dropped due to him throwing 50mph passes on a short 10 yard pass.

Having a powerful arm is the icing on the cake, at least it should be.   You draft a guy just because he can throw 70 yard bombs.   It means very little in the NFL today. 

Does anyone think Allen was picked just because he can throw it 70 yards? If so, they are sorely mistaken as no GM would do this. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Does anyone think Allen was picked just because he can throw it 70 yards? If so, they are sorely mistaken as no GM would do this. 

Sure. 

There really isn't anything to be mistaken about.   Just listen to all of the Bills brass talk about him from the moment they drafted him. 

Physical talent, physical talent, physical talent, physical tools, protipical qb size, etc. 

No one talked about his accuracy, timing, anticipation, rhythm, pure pocket passing ability, etc. 

He was a project with a big arm and physical tools.   So was Ej Manuel.   So was JP Losman.  Where are they? 

The best Qb we drafted this century was Trent Edwards.   He was NEVER the same after getting laid out in that Arizona game.  But he actually had pocket passing qualities and was much more refined. 

I'm sick of big armed project passers.   I want polished, refined, with accolades. 

Allen will flame out, and every excuse will be given from the talent surrounding him to the coaching.  All will have played a role in his failure, except for the fact he wasn't NFL ready and was a project when we drafted him. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.  We've passed on both Mahomes and Rosen for Allen.  We've seen how Mahomes has looked, and Rosen is right around the corner.  It was a mistake to pass on either one IMO. 

Time will tell. 

9 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Sure. 

There really isn't anything to be mistaken about.   Just listen to all of the Bills brass talk about him from the moment they drafted him. 

Physical talent, physical talent, physical talent, physical tools, protipical qb size, etc. 

No one talked about his accuracy, timing, anticipation, rhythm, pure pocket passing ability, etc. 

He was a project with a big arm and physical tools.   So was Ej Manuel.   So was JP Losman.  Where are they? 

The best Qb we drafted this century was Trent Edwards.   He was NEVER the same after getting laid out in that Arizona game.  But he actually had pocket passing qualities and was much more refined. 

I'm sick of big armed project passers.   I want polished, refined, with accolades. 

Allen will flame out, and every excuse will be given from the talent surrounding him to the coaching.  All will have played a role in his failure, except for the fact he wasn't NFL ready and was a project when we drafted him. 

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.  We've passed on both Mahomes and Rosen for Allen.  We've seen how Mahomes has looked, and Rosen is right around the corner.  It was a mistake to pass on either one IMO. 

Time will tell. 

CAC16B1E-13F3-40C3-BF0A-109D6FD61298.jpeg

On 9/21/2018 at 10:48 PM, Shotgunner said:

The dichotomy of Josh Allen.

Looks awesome standing back there. Stands tall, keeps eyes downfield, never afraid to get hit, will throw at any point...

...but he just isn't making the reads. We may have have to just get some burners at WR and have them run posts, sluggos, and 9's. Then he can just look deep. Be a "chunk play" offense if we have to. We have to make it work with this kid.

Or maybe he learns how to read a defense. If that happens, he could be scary (good).

If the scouting report on Allen is staring down his receiver......then sandbag a little at the outset of the game and stare down a few.....then hit your second read all day. 

17 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

In 2016 his receivers in college were able to catch the fastballs thrown by Allen. Now why can't a pro receiver who gets paid millions be able to catch them? Maybe he needs new receivers perhaps?

An upgrade in offensive talent is definitely needed, but don’t blind yourself of the notion that Allen needs to improve his touch and accuracy.