BR: "Josh Allen: Throwing velocity analysis"

19 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i can't tell who that was but he was lined up outside. i also can't tell which te that was,  but i gotta say, i haven't been too impressed with clay....ever. he's dropped peterman passes...oleary would have made that grab.

It's #45 Murphy. He's throwing to Thomas. The play starts with a 3-WR set, Thomas at TE and Murphy in the backfield.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

i can't tell who that was but he was lined up outside. i also can't tell which te that was,  but i gotta say, i haven't been too impressed with clay....ever. he's dropped peterman passes...oleary would have made that grab.

he used to make me so mad. you couldn't sack him cause he had such a quick release.

Marino and Peyton have the lowest sack% in NFL history of 3.13%

It's a strange stat sometimes

Some of the other guys on the top of the list suck (Derek Anderson, for example) 

Overall it's a pretty good indicator of quick decision making, but also has a lot to do with your oline, your receivers, and your play style.

Aaron Rodgers, for example, also Steve Young, were scramblers who have a higher sack%, but both of them had very quick releases.

Just rambling about interesting stuff :)

Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I’m waiting for the day when we can talk about the accuracy and touch that Allen displays. I don’t know if those are things he’s capable of, but for our benefit I sure hope he is. There are times when velocity matters, but I’d say that there or more frequent times when touch and accuracy outweigh it.

When he slings it the pass needs to be right on the money because the receiver doesn’t have time to adjust. If he can learn touch and display the ability to throw receivers open (he dies some of this with his back shoulder throws) & hit them in stride then watch out.

Peterman is all touch and accuracy and no velocity.

How's that working out for him?

50 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Marino and Peyton have the lowest sack% in NFL history of 3.13%

It's a strange stat sometimes

Some of the other guys on the top of the list suck (Derek Anderson, for example) 

Overall it's a pretty good indicator of quick decision making, but also has a lot to do with your oline, your receivers, and your play style.

Aaron Rodgers, for example, also Steve Young, were scramblers who have a higher sack%, but both of them had very quick releases.

Just rambling about interesting stuff :)

i've always been fascinated by the quick, snappy release, that's what i liked about nate as well as the insane pre season comp%. i just don't know what happens to him when the whistle blows at the start of games. i feel bad for him because that first game against balt. the weather was horrible. maybe it's the crap talk at the line that gets into his head, idk.

i still believe he'll get a chance and shine. anywho, i've derailed not only the thread but what i am replying to. i better stop rambling, i'll start to sound like a stoned howard simon.?

go bills! 

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Peterman is all touch and accuracy and no velocity.

How's that working out for him?

....look, I like this kid and I like his moxy and perseverance to succeed at the NFL level as a "lowly" 5th......BUT...

1. Let's be realistic. He is really all touch and accuracy? TC and pre-season with rubber bullets, yes; live ammo in the real deal?.....seriously?......wilts faster than me....

2. No velocity? Tell me about "velocity" as an isolated attribute. Start with Jeff George's "velocity" that turned out to be a limp, ineffective NFL cannon. Conversely, tell me about Montana's "lack of VELOCITY" that managed to put FOUR Lombardis on the shelf and is in many conversations as QB GOAT of his era.

15 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Josh Allen has a strong arm.

In other riveting, breaking news: ex-Bills LB Ray Bentley authored a series of children's books about Darby the Dinosaur.

Former Bill Nick O'Leary is the grandson of golfing great Jack Nicklaus.

Former Bills QB Frank Reich owns the records for quarterbacking the greatest comeback victory in both NCAA and NFL history.

What am I missing?

Thurman Thomas was dismissed by 31 teams. 

Seems like what is impressive about Allen is the ease to which he can throw a bullet of a pass. He can put a lot of zip on a ball without having to throw his whole body into it. Then when he throws his body into it he can launch it seemingly 70 plus yards. Dude is still raw but if he can continue to work on his footwork he can go places (I believe that his decision making will only improve with time.)

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Seems like what is impressive about Allen is the ease to which he can throw a bullet of a pass. He can put a lot of zip on a ball without having to throw his whole body into it. Then when he throws his body into it he can launch it seemingly 70 plus yards. Dude is still raw but if he can continue to work on his footwork he can go places (I believe that his decision making will only improve with time.)

...he has to and hopefully will learn to temper it over time.....cut the lad some slack.....don't think there was adrenaline pumpin' in his first NFL start?...Jesus, he threw some five yard howitzers that would have amputated hands if they made contact......

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Not many people know this but 2 years ago Josh Allen's girlfriend was tragically killed in a car accident. Unable to live without her, Josh threw a football so hard and with such velocity that it left the earth's atmosphere and travelled continuously around the globe, causing time to travel backwards and bringing her back to life.

This sounds made up

wait, what's a mildly racist name for a cat??