BR: "Josh Allen: Throwing velocity analysis"

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The all 22 showed otherwise.  He had a few pockets to climb but instead tried to step outside and got himself sacked. I LOOKS confident. I agree.  Problem is, he makes a lot of bad decisions at this point.  He’ll get better with experience 

Yep pretty much. He looks confident... And that might be kinda weird if any part of his thought process during a play is just "stand tall, look poised, look at receivers, can't move to that spot.. might look awkward shuffling at that angle"

Like he seriously could be thinking that haha that's how poised he is, and that's pretty scary if true and he's not just 100% tuned into football. Aaron Rodgers looks goofy all the time in the pocket. Ya gotta trip over a lineman and bunny hop sometimes to get to the right spot.. duck every now and then. Play football.

Just an observation. Not likely he's going out of his way to look poised, but he's so big and looks more poised/confident what have you than most quarbacks I  watch in the league.

Watched a bunch of JA college tape. It’s funny because the Wyoming offensive line is so bad...so it’s the same running around Josh Allen we get to see on sundays.

I have to say, I think he will be one of the best 3rd down converters under center we’ve had in a while IF we can catch the ball. 

I will say though, you really can see an improvement in his footwork. I’m talking substantially better. I truly hope that continues.

I had seen the tape before, but after seeing him play a game or so, then going back and watching how absolutely wild he was. It makes me really believe the kid is smart enough for this whole self correction thing. 

Yes he has regressions at times, but it’s night and day.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

49 isn’t much of a number.

Arms good accuracy hope will get there.

Pocket presence is amazing. He looks like he feels pressure and slides around. 

Progression reads seem terrible  

Considering that it's live game action and when you watch how much he throws that football at ease and that 49 mph is the same number Peterman threw at the combine when he had nothing else he had to think about except 

"Throw

ball 

HARD!!!"

Andy-Samberg-Wow.gif

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I have no idea why anyone cares about how hard a QB can throw the football. 

Most of the top QBs in the NFL right now have mediocre arms. 

This from the guy who over YEARS of posting has CONSTANTLY used the phrase "he has a cannon for an arm" in praise of numerous prospects and current NFL QBs.

My how quickly we forget :lol:

19 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yep pretty much. He looks confident... And that might be kinda weird if any part of his thought process during a play is just "stand tall, look poised, look at receivers, can't move to that spot.. might look awkward shuffling at that angle"

Like he seriously could be thinking that haha that's how poised he is, and that's pretty scary if true and he's not just 100% tuned into football. Aaron Rodgers looks goofy all the time in the pocket. Ya gotta trip over a lineman and bunny hop sometimes to get to the right spot.. duck every now and then. Play football.

Just an observation. Not likely he's going out of his way to look poised, but he's so big and looks more poised/confident what have you than most quarbacks I  watch in the league.

Are you saying he looks too poised?

3 hours ago, Bockeye said:

Yeah - the hell with the arm velocity, who is that breaking wide open on the right and why didn’t he see him..

I think that's his check-down...

If he feels pressured to get the ball out and has confidence to make the throw, I can understand why he didn't get to the check-down

48 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Are you saying he looks too poised?

I guess I meant to say stiff. But yes I said too poised.. doesn't make sense.

He looks great in the pocket, but also stiff, static. To the reply I was talking to. He mentioned Allen doesn't move to the right places, he steps up in the pocket, stands like a towering leader of men, unflinching, unafraid, and just keeps standing and turns into a statue and gets sacked.. that happened a lot more in preseason week 3 though.

I was just thinking about the critique another poster gave. He LOOKS good. But in reality actually isn't super consistent in the pocket. and i second guessed my original statement:

"He looks like a 10 year vet in the pocket. It's awesome. Stands tall, eyes upfield, shuffles to the safe spot. Gets sacked a lot but he passes the eye test, he's clearly looking down field and buying time.

That's a great instinct for a rookie to start with. It's a giant hurdle for a typical rookie we can skip past and find other things to improve forward a much faster paced development."

36 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

What's on your mind Starr?

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

I’m waiting for the day when we can talk about the accuracy and touch that Allen displays. I don’t know if those are things he’s capable of, but for our benefit I sure hope he is. There are times when velocity matters, but I’d say that there or more frequent times when touch and accuracy outweigh it.

When he slings it the pass needs to be right on the money because the receiver doesn’t have time to adjust. If he can learn touch and display the ability to throw receivers open (he dies some of this with his back shoulder throws) & hit them in stride then watch out.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Kyle Boller threw it hard , as did Jamarcus Russel. Whats going to determine how good he can be is how well he adjusts to defensive coordinator s adjustments.

Yes, but what’s nice is his arm gives him a chance to do that. In fact, it means he doesn’t even have to do it as well as those with marginal arm talent. 

20 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Throwing to the receiver on the right was a pick six waiting to happen 

People arguing that he didn't even see that guy

Even if he didn't, he made a correct decision and hit a guy with a great pass directly into his hands

The tight end sucks and can't catch

That's not Allen's fault

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Josh Allen has a strong arm.

In other riveting, breaking news: ex-Bills LB Ray Bentley authored a series of children's books about Darby the Dinosaur.

Former Bill Nick O'Leary is the grandson of golfing great Jack Nicklaus.

Former Bills QB Frank Reich owns the records for quarterbacking the greatest comeback victory in both NCAA and NFL history.

What am I missing?

Not anymore.   His Maryland comeback is now 3rd

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I think that's his check-down...

If he feels pressured to get the ball out and has confidence to make the throw, I can understand why he didn't get to the check-down

i don't see that as a check down. i see that as the no.2 read.  he had his mind made up who he was throwing to before hand. if that was nate people would be smoking him for making that decision.  one ounce less velocity on that ball and it's a pick

41 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

People arguing that he didn't even see that guy

Even if he didn't, he made a correct decision and hit a guy with a great pass directly into his hands

The tight end sucks and can't catch

That's not Allen's fault

oleary makes that catch....

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

He looks like a 10 year vet in the pocket. It's awesome. Stands tall, eyes upfield, shuffles to the safe spot. Gets sacked a lot but he passes the eye test, he's clearly looking down field and buying time.

That's a great instinct for a rookie to start with. It's a giant hurdle for a typical rookie we can skip past and find other things to improve for a much faster paced development.

this is how I see it as well. I have been impressed with that part of his game. whether the rest comes to him or not remains to be seen and I will not pass any real judgement until this kid has some "games" under his belt.

can't do it after one start.

9 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't see that as a check down. i see that as the no.2 read.  he had his mind made up who he was throwing to before hand. if that was nate people would be smoking him for making that decision.  one ounce less velocity on that ball and it's a pick

I highly doubt a RB's delayed route out of the backfield is the #2 read, but I guess we don't know for certain.

With more time in the pocket, I'd hope he just takes the easy throw that the D gives him

8 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I highly doubt a RB's delayed route out of the backfield is the #2 read, but I guess we don't know for certain.

With more time in the pocket, I'd hope he just takes the easy throw that the D gives him

i can't tell who that was but he was lined up outside. i also can't tell which te that was,  but i gotta say, i haven't been too impressed with clay....ever. he's dropped peterman passes...oleary would have made that grab.

5 minutes ago, no name said:

marino threw a dart as well...

he used to make me so mad. you couldn't sack him cause he had such a quick release.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1