Bills “Big Nickel” package is a Big Fail

YoloinOhio

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/21/bills-forced-into-big-nickel-vs-chargers-and-the-personnel-package-flops-again/

The numbers for big nickel through two games are brutal. Rivers, Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson combined to complete 31 of 36 passes (86.1 percent) for 336 yards (9.3 yards per attempt) and four touchdowns through the air. That equates to a quarterback rating of 133.3.

During many of Bush's snaps, the Bills utilized a 3-3-5 nickel defense with three down linemen, three linebackers and five defensive backs (three of which were safeties, technically making it big nickel).

In the first two games against regular nickel, Rivers, Flacco, and Jackson combined to go 8 of 15 (53.3 percent) for 68 yards (4.5 yards per attempt) with two touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 105.5.

With cornerback Ryan Lewis called up from the practice squad, the Bills will have the opportunity to run more classic nickel defense in Week Three against the Vikings.

I am not sure the Bills are really running big nickel. They are running traditional nickel but have so few corners they are lining a safety up at the nickel spot. But that safety is trying to play a traditional nickel role they are not being utilised to closer to the line of scrimmage or being asked to read and react and play run support in the way I would usually associate with a big nickel package. It is just a safety being asked to do a job he doesn't have the short area quickness for and getting exposed because we have no corners. 

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure the Bills are really running big nickel. They are running traditional nickel but have so few corners they are lining a safety up at the nickel spot. But that safety is trying to play a traditional nickel role they are not being utilised to closer to the line of scrimmage or being asked to read and react and play run support in the way I would usually associate with a big nickel package. It is just a safety being asked to do a job he doesn't have the short area quickness for and getting exposed because we have no corners. 

That definitely happened last week . Hopefully Gaines and Johnson will play this week. And we don’t need to worry about the corpse of Vontae and will be fielding an actual player at corner. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly - the problem is it still is a big nickel package regardless of how you run it. While you make an important distinction there, the media have no clue, nor do they care to pay mind to how it's run either.

We definitely need 4 down lineman in our defense. With no pass rush both Flacco and Rivers looked like All Pro's against us. Things changed when McDermott took over the play calling in the 2nd half. We need to stick with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

We definitely need 4 down lineman in our defense. With no pass rush both Flacco and Rivers looked like All Pro's against us. Things changed when McDermott took over the play calling in the 2nd half. We need to stick with that. 

If the secondary can hold up. Frazier played safer ball it seems , due to thinning of the secondary? McD was taking some risks rushing. It worked. But can he trust who is lining up back there to play tight and disciplined ?

Edited by 3rdand12

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

If the secondary can hold up. Frazier played safer ball it seems , due to thinning of the secondary? McD was taking some risks rushing. It worked. But can he trust who is lining up back there to play tight and disciplined ?

Seemed to work last year with basically the same personnel, minus Brown and Gaines of course. The attacking style fits us better. 

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

Seemed to work last year with basically the same personnel, minus Brown and Gaines of course. The attacking style fits us better. 

I agree about the attacking aggressive style fitting. But the secondary has turned over their depth in a big way.  Second string rookies. and Live fire.
 patience might be considered here.

When Edmunds develops more patience and better reads the game , the Defense will improve front to back.

But perhaps you are right. Get after it football !

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That definitely happened last week . Hopefully Gaines and Johnson will play this week. And we don’t need to worry about the corpse of Vontae and will be fielding an actual player at corner. 

It happened in the first half. I think the struggles may have more to do with execution that personnel groupings.

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Dick Jauron never would have let the team run out of corners 

Now you know why! You can't have too many corners.

Edited by vincec
  • Like (+1) 1