Schopp and Sal going at it hard on wgr

11 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yes it is legitimately McD's Achilles heel. He was so good at getting the squad to buy in last year. I think he's a great defensive mind that is beyond moronic with his quarterback starts.

Also.. how do you link someone's name in a post so they are notified they're being referenced? I see a few people do it. Can't figure it out.

Because of Peterman? He's one guy. I'm not exactly McDermott's biggest fan but Peterman is such an outlier as a "choke hard when the lights come on" example that I'm puzzled that people use him as a reason for why McDermott is "beyond moronic with his quarterback starts." 

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It was hour 3 not two like the link showed...couldn't find the post

Correct.  I listened to hour three.  I guess I was expecting fireworks.  

I can't remember what for, but the two went at it last spring.  I thought that was much more "real."  

Either way, good radio. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stony said:

Correct.  I listened to hour three.  I guess I was expecting fireworks.  

I can't remember what for, but the two went at it last spring.  I thought that was much more "real."  

Either way, good radio. 

Just listened as well..sounded like me and nephews every Bills pregame. BTW, i agree with Schoop on this one

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Just listened as well..sounded like me and nephews every Bills pregame. BTW, i agree with Schoop on this one

That would be like justifying betting 5K on the Vikings or the Bills after they cover or don't cover the spread.  

It's a strawman argument.  You can't know the result prior to what happens so basing your decision on an unknown result is therefore impossible.  It's a logical fallacy.  I wish a mathematics professor gave him a quick discrete mathematics lesson on air.

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

That would be like justifying betting 5K on the Vikings after they cover the spread.

It's a strawman argument.  You can't know the result prior to what happens so basing your decision on an unknown result is therefore impossible.  It's a logical fallacy.  I wish a mathematics professor gave him a quick discrete mathematics lesson.

well, all that verbiage is above my head..all i can say is based on where Allen was drafted,,and Mayfield, and Darnold, and Rosen...you know they are going to play..and prolly play this year...just go ahead and play from the start. that tie and loss may cost the Browns a playoff spot,, and both games were entirely winable with DECENT qb play..

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, all that verbiage is above my head..all i can say is based on where Allen was drafted,,and Mayfield, and Darnold, and Rosen...you know they are going to play..and prolly play this year...just go ahead and play from the start. that tie and loss may cost the Browns a playoff spot,, and both games were entirely winable with DECENT qb play..

While i wouldn’t blame Hue for going with TT to start the season if he won the job, I do blame him for not even giving mayfield a chance to win the job in preseason. He didn’t give him any reps with the ones in TC. It makes zero sense. It was Tyrod Taylor in front of him for goodness sake. Not some established, proven guy. This wasn’t Lamar vs Flacco. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, bbb said:

What time is the segment or is it's own separate one on the app?

I linked it up-thread.

It was near the very beginning of Hour 3 starting at 5:00pm.

They introduced Sal and their "Round table" segment and within a few minutes they started getting into it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Rico said:

I think this is spot on. I've never heard him or Schopp before (I'm long gone from Buffalo), but I remember Coach Sal on Billszone used to have interesting posts, he was a good read. Anything of late though that I read from him is pretty weak. Being on the outside looking in, the beat guy these days who I like is Joe Buscaglia.

Joe is very similar to Sal in that they are both pretty bad.  They both have the ability to talk for 10 minutes while saying absolutely nothing.  

Joe was sort of the Sal before Sal at GR-55.

In theory, every segment of every show GR-55 does every day gets put up on their website as a recording, with commercials edited out.  You can listen online or a mobile device if you are interested.

Certainly don't need to be living in WNY and picking the content up through the air.

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Reasonable levels of competence come with a cap hit, yeah.  Peterman is cheap, and it shows.

Tyrod was making $16 million. Peterman was making less than $1 million. And the Bills had massive cap problems. This stuff isn’t that hard. Hanging onto him, paying him 16 mill, foregoing the 3rd rd pick, to go nowhere this year would be epically stupid. They didn’t believe in him and being more competent than peterman is not a big achievement. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Livi38 said:

He is not even close to the most intelligent person on wgr, based solely on broadcasted content.  He is an instigator who doesn't have competition.  He is an elitist who talks down to everyone.  He is a blow hard when he and Chris are on alone, and then cowers during interviews.  He never admits he was wrong and spins his own perspectives to make sure he doesn't have to be humble, and to be negative to all the "lesser" callers.  

I said he's the most intelligent person, not the biggest football expert.  Those are two different things.

Also, your list of complaints doesn't relate to his intelligence.  If you're going to argue the point, argue it.

Don't change the topic.

Lastly, the vast majority of his callers are idiots.  Mike does have a habit of letting idiots know they are idiots.  I don't fault him for that, whereas you apparently do.

Now and again Mike gets an intelligent, interesting caller who has something to say or a good point to make.  Mike is always appreciative of such callers and almost always makes it a point to praise them or their point.

He often says things like "Well done," or "That's how you do it" or "Great call" or "This all makes a lot of sense."

If you aren't hearing that it's because you are choosing to ignore it.

22 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t think it’s nearly as bad as the OP makes it out to be...Schoop is barely raising his voice and Sal is just being himself imo.

Disagree; it was pretty heated for a while. Schopp was livid and he showed it, which he very rarely does.

Sal hit a nerve with Mike; he has a huge ego and doesn't react well to criticism.  When Sal said his point was "ridiculous" Mike was ready to throw down and have it, and he did.

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m somewhat surprised people are so hard on Sal, as I really like him.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I think Schoop is disrespectful to callers, as you never hear on national radio hosts.

you can disagree with someone, but still be respectful.  I loved Sal’s comments.

Are you kidding?  

The Buffalo guys have to go out of their way to be pleasant, b/c Buffalo is a tiny market and it is the culture there to be polite and say "how are you doing" every time someone calls in, etc.

Mike doesn't suffer fools.  He gets a lot of them calling the show.  I agree from time to time he could probably lighten up a bit and not slam the morons who call him so hard, but it doesn't really bother me.

However, I realize a lot of people clearly don't like that aspect of his personality.  

Edited by Fadingpain