Schopp and Sal going at it hard on wgr

Just now, formerlyofCtown said:

He will never be elite but he's servicable in the right scheme.  If he was 2 or 3 inches taller I'd like to say he would still be here but he likely never would have been.

You think tyrod's issue is his height?............................................

confused funny memes GIF

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Schoop is in love with Tyrod for some reason. He kinda sorta made it sound like even though Tyrod wasn't good last night, it was just one game and he's played that way here and he's still a good QB. I don't know what his love affair with Tyrod is. Tyrod is crap, even when he's at his best 

He has a bug up his ass about race, he's adopted two black children and he is all in that the NFL is racist against black running QB's like Jackson & Tyrod.  It's not about race, it's that running QB's generally flame out after a while because eventually a QB has to be good at throwing the damn ball NOT running.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I like Sal, but take what he says about McBeane with a grain of salt.  He is a bit of an apologist for them . . . .

He's a grade A homer, which is useless as a sports commentator.

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

He will never be elite but he's servicable in the right scheme.  If he was 2 or 3 inches taller I'd like to say he would still be here but he likely never would have been.

Height doesn't have much to do with his problems at QB.

One thing he is great at is protecting the ball.  He just doesn't turn it over and he does that extremely well.

The problem is everything else.

Perspective:

Sal Capaccio is Nathan Peterman's #1 fan.

Schopp's mocking of Peterman makes Capaccio uncomfortable because he died on Peterman Hill in 2017.....was given new life by the Buffalo Bills Network.....and promptly died there again in 2018.

To paraphrase the poet Andrew Silverstein:

"Schopp and Sal went up the hill.......each with a buck and a quarter........Schopp came down with two-fifty."

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Schoop and Jeremy both try to act like the smartest guys in the room when they are on.  I wonder how they’d interact if they did a show together?  Maybe they do on occasion.  I don’t listen at all hours.

Mike is the most intelligent guy at the station.  Jeremy is a total idiot.  Not sure how you lump them together like that.

I finally had a chance to listen to the argument.  Schopp was definitely getting into it; that's the most fired up I've ever heard him I think, particularly with regard to a fellow broadcaster and not a caller.

What started it was Mike's ego and Sal saying his theory was "ridiculous".  That really pissed Mike of and away they went.

I don't necessarily disagree with Schopp's basic premise.

He's basically saying that the QB competition obviously didn't work as Allen is clearly better than Peterman, and that a "competition" itself is not really necessary to determine who the starting QB should be.

He's then taking it a step further and suggesting that the "competition" is a crutch relied on by coaches to absolve themselves of responsibility in making the QB selection and a tool to bring the team in line behind the decision he makes.

"Hey, he won the competition, he must be the better of the two and therefor he should start."

I agree with the crutch angle; the coaches like to lean on the competition angle so that they have a plausible defense when the QB selected plays poorly, if he plays poorly.

I said all off-season that Allen should have started Game 1; Schopp has always said that too. 

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Mike is the most intelligent guy at the station.  Jeremy is a total idiot.  Not sure how you lump them together like that.

I finally had a chance to listen to the argument.  Schopp was definitely getting into it; that's the most fired up I've ever heard him I think, particularly with regard to a fellow broadcaster and not a caller.

What started it was Mike's ego and Sal saying his theory was "ridiculous".  That really pissed Mike of and away they went.

As I said above..........Sal is very sensitive about his ardent support of Peterman.

The mockery of Peterman by Schopp.........although not directed at Sal........hits home because he is not accustomed to looking so stupid.......which is in part because he rarely stands behind anything as definitively as he has his belief in Peterman.    

He's been looking for a reason to call something Schopp says "ridiculous" to attempt to bring a loud detractor of Peterman down to Sal's level.

Schopp is an annoying, arrogant, !@#$, and always has been. I used to call in from time to time, but he treats callers like garbage. If he talked to me in person like he does to people on the air, I would knock him out where he stood. 

Sal is a much better reporter, call host, person. F Schopp, and the Bulldog too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Perspective:

Sal Capaccio is Nathan Peterman's #1 fan.

Schopp's mocking of Peterman makes Capaccio uncomfortable because he died on Peterman Hill in 2017.....was given new life by the Buffalo Bills Network.....and promptly died there again in 2018.

To paraphrase the poet Andrew Silverstein:

"Schopp and Sal went up the hill.......each with a buck and a quarter........Schopp came down with two-fifty."

Huh?

Schlopp is a twat of the highest order...

He might have died on Tyrod Hill last night after being wounded there several times previously...

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, harv shitz said:

Schopp is an annoying, arrogant, !@#$, and always has been. I used to call in from time to time, but he treats callers like garbage. If he talked to me in person like he does to people on the air, I would knock him out where he stood. 

Sal is a much better reporter, call host, person. F Schopp, and the Bulldog too.

Are you that blind dude that used to call in to the Coach Dickerson?

That was hilarious........that guy had never seen a football game in his life but he was belligerent in such detail.

Personally I preferred the lady with the parakeets chirping in the background and Eddie from the East Side(RIP).

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

Schopp is smarter than most of the people he has to deal with. And talk about, for that matter (eg Bills management). The majority of sports fans aren't too bright so of course they don't like him. He cuts through all the cliché sports BS (momentum, preseason competition, etc) 

I think he's easily the best talent on that station and if you ever had to listen to the pathetic radio personalities in Toronto, he's miles ahead of anyone here too. 

Ha. Oh man. Mike Schopp is smarter than Brandon Beane or Sean McDermott?  That’s the hottest of hot takes. 

I don’t think most people realize how complicated running a football team is. Then again, everyone is an expert about everything nowadays. Just go on Twitter, you’ll see. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

Ha. Oh man. Mike Schopp is smarter than Brandon Beane or Sean McDermott?  That’s the hottest of hot takes. 

I don’t think most people realize how complicated running a football team is. Then again, everyone is an expert about everything nowadays. Just go on Twitter, you’ll see. 

He is an arrogant douche. And his voice is annoying, also. There is never a reason to talk down the way he does to the very people that are responsible for him having a job. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

advanced metrics make tyrod a media darling to people who don't actually watch the games.

barnwell loves the guy, because his advanced metrics say he's good, even though he's not.

Agreed. 

Also, “advanced” is a stupid marketing word to try and elevate its use and importance. And shocker, people buy it.  They are metrics, that’s it. They are useful data points but by no means are they the only data points needed to make predictions. Unfortunately, dorks like Schopp don’t get it and love feeling smart quoting stats that basically anyone with a few bucks and a couple internet subscriptions has access to. 

6 minutes ago, harv shitz said:

He is an arrogant douche. And his voice is annoying, also. There is never a reason to talk down the way he does to the very people that are responsible for him having a job. 

That too. He’s terrible. Maybe a nice person off air. Maybe a good husband and father. But terrible sports radio host. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I don't necessarily disagree with Schopp's basic premise.

He's basically saying that the QB competition obviously didn't work as Allen is clearly better than Peterman, and that a "competition" itself is not really necessary to determine who the starting QB should be.

He's then taking it a step further and suggesting that the "competition" is a crutch relied on by coaches to absolve themselves of responsibility in making the QB selection and a tool to bring the team in line behind the decision he makes.

"Hey, he won the competition, he must be the better of the two and therefor he should start."

I agree with the crutch angle; the coaches like to lean on the competition angle so that they have a plausible defense when the QB selected plays poorly, if he plays poorly.

I said all off-season that Allen should have started Game 1; Schopp has always said that too. 

He is not even close to the most intelligent person on wgr, based solely on broadcasted content.  He is an instigator who doesn't have competition.  He is an elitist who talks down to everyone.  He is a blow hard when he and Chris are on alone, and then cowers during interviews.  He never admits he was wrong and spins his own perspectives to make sure he doesn't have to be humble, and to be negative to all the "lesser" callers.  

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Huh?

Schlopp is a twat of the highest order...

He might have died on Tyrod Hill last night after being wounded there several times previously...

Yeah......you see you aren't quoting anything I said.

I am not a Schopp fan.

Sal just thought Peterman was going to be a excellent starting QB............and he's proven to be the worst QB in NFL history when on the field.

As an analyst.......that is a very, very bad look.

Rather than owning it he tries to bring those who doubted Peterman down to his level.

Which is weak.

He's just had a couple of awful years of takes........he's basically gone from a guy with vague but seemingly sensible takes to a meh-sideline reporter/apologist.

It pays better so good for him but I'm not taking much stock in the takes of anyone who was as sold on Peterman as Sal.    Ugly.