The positive of Mayfield being good

Klaista2k

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Cleveland had it down to either Mayfield or Allen for the 1st overall pick in the draft.

So if Mayfield is indeed good, this is very encouraging because it shows the Browns GM knows how to evaluate quarterbacks. 

First, we do NOT know that the Browns narrowed the QB down to Allen and Mayfield.

Second, if we are to assume that Mayfield will pan out and be a great QB (that's not demonstrated yet) that says absolutely nothing about the quality of Allen, even if we assume the Browns did have him as their other finalist.

You have presented a false cause logical fallacy, suggesting that because A is true, B must also be true, and that the two are connected with A causing B.

In actuality, there is nothing about Baker Mayfield's play that causes Josh Allen's play to be good or bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I thought Mayfield was the best of the group and that Allen would not turn out to be a good NFL QB. It's way too early to know, but I have seen nothing to contradict it, yet.

I forgot the exact numbers, but Mayfield got rid of the ball much faster than Taylor, yesterday. That was one of the big keys to the difference in their performance.

From Pro Football Focus on Mayfield, yesterday:

The highest graded performance by a rookie quarterback since we began grading in 2006.

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

First, we do NOT know that the Browns narrowed the QB down to Allen and Mayfield.

Second, if we are to assume that Mayfield will pan out and be a great QB (that's not demonstrated yet) that says absolutely nothing about the quality of Allen, even if we assume the Browns did have him as their other finalist.

You have presented a false cause logical fallacy, suggesting that because A is true, B must also be true, and that the two are connected with A causing B.

In actuality, there is nothing about Baker Mayfield's play that causes Josh Allen's play to be good or bad.

I’m pretty sure that’s a fact. I read it on the internet.   ?

P.S. - I’m a french model. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Cleveland had it down to either Mayfield or Allen for the 1st overall pick in the draft.

So if Mayfield is indeed good, this is very encouraging because it shows the Browns GM knows how to evaluate quarterbacks. 

I'm just going to assume you never took a basic logic course

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I was impressed by Mayfield, but Darnold was the savior 2 weeks ago, until other teams got regular season film on him and started game planning for him.  Based on what I have seen so far, Mayfield is the most game ready, followed by Darnold, followed by Allen.  As to physical abilities/raw talent, it would be Allen, followed by Darnold, followed by Mayfield.  Lamar Jackson looks like a great swiss-army knife type of player, but needs a lot of work to be a viable NFL QB.  He's incredible athletically.  We haven't seen anything from Rosen yet, but as putrid as the Cardinals' offense is, perhaps his time is coming soon.

But what happins in 2 weeks when they get film on mayfield??  does he follow Darnold to losing side???  Give them a season see what comes out in the end I would think you would get a better big picture. Just my thoughts

I don't subscribe to this logic. The positive of Baker maybe being good is a crotch grab pointed in Tom Brady's direction as he beats him in his last game of Tom's career.

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

He played a very very good half of football . But it's just ridiculous to judge him or any rookie off such a small sample size

Gotta take positives when you see them. Keeps ya sane.

I found a positive that the browns drafted 3 wr with their last 3 picks and we did 2. After that Baker game, they obviously draft right. So we probably do too

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

40 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't subscribe to this logic. The positive of Baker maybe being good is a crotch grab pointed in Tom Brady's direction as he beats him in his last game of Tom's career.

Gotta take positives when you see them. Keeps ya sane.

I found a positive that the browns drafted 3 wr with their last 3 picks and we did 2. After that Baker game, they obviously draft right. So we probably do too

I guess? 

I mean they just won their first game since 16 , historically bad team , their draft capital was ridiculous and has been ridiculous, they just whiffed on high picks. Obviously Dorsey wasn't involved , but just Not sure we want to model ourselves after the Browns..... Let's see after 16 games if the culture is really changing. 

I believe McDermott and Beane have established a change in culture, the dead money on the cap is just brutal to deal with for any team. The foundation will be fully laid down by next year when they had 3 drafts and 90 mil to bring in some high end talent that is missing right now. 

Edited by JerseyBills

40 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The best residual effect  is we wont be hearing how great Darnold is fora while now.

I agree, I mean I realize that Sam Darnold is already among the top 5 greatest QB's of all time, but do we need to be reminded every 5 minutes during every NFL game. Thank you Baker and the Browns!