I Bet $5,000 on Minnesota. Should I Be Worried?

BuffaloRush

You should have bet on TLRY about a month ago and sold on Tuesday, your wife would have loved you...

I can never bet for or against the Bills - too much of a homer.  It's not even worth it for me to play Fantasy Football, since I just pick all Bills players.  Good luck with that, though I will definitely be rooting for you to lose your bet!   Bills over Dollar Bills... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you feel that Minnesota will blow out the Bills, the better play would be the over, unless you think the Bills aren't scoring any or are scoring very few points.  The O/U is 41.  If you think Minnesota is scoring 35, all the Bills need is 1 TD, Minnesota 28 then you need the Bills to score 10 to win.  Only if you think the score will be around 28-10 does taking the 17 points with Minnesota make more sense than the over.  

• Like (+1) 1

It’s the 5k Sully gave him to cram his interview down our throats. 

Bad bet bet by the way. Even if you somehow win, 17 points. That’s a suckers bet all day. 

Not to mention youll be actively cheering against you own team. Not cool. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

I did it.  I had the chance to bet a lot of money on the game and I did it.  Honestly I was really torn and I hate betting against the Bills but I had to do it.  I got a very attractive offer from a local sports book that I couldn’t pass up.

But I haven’t told anyone.  Not my boss, not my wife, not my parents etc.  Just this forum.  My wife especially would kill me if she knew I had $5,000 riding on football.

Since I made this bet though, I have been very nervous.  My stomach feels very uncomfortable and queesy.  I have not been able to sleep at night and have been dog tired all day.  

But really I have nothing to be worried about right?  The Vikings are one The the NFL’s best teams and the Bills are not.  I figure that the defense will hold the Bills to FG’s and the MInnesota’s offense will score at will against our porous defense.  So I shouldn’t be worried right?

I mean I would feel better if it was just picking one team to win but they have to cover 17 points.  That one might be tough and i am sweating it out.  

Hopefully I will have some nice cash next week and can put this one behind me.  

Wow.  Never bet money you can’t afford to lose.  

Lets see, Bills are pissed about Davis quitting and national media lack of respect.  Defense might be finding its groove after strong second half.  Daboll might be getting the offense in better sync and Allen’s play likely to improve.  Shady ready to break out.  Minnesota  likely to be looking past us too. 

Yup, you will cover.  

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

every time i gave 17 points or more the dog ran back the opening kickoff for a TD, or scored on a fumble recovery  the first series.

Yeah, 17 is just too many.  The Vikes could be up 28 and have their backups in the game and a couple garbage time TDs in the 4th by the Bills means the bet is lost. 

I'd never touch a spread that is that large in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

not really

oh man.   I'd get professional help if you have an addiction.   17 pts is a lot.   i don't gamble, but perhaps someone who does can suggest something to help you break-even in the event you don't win the 5K bet.  

18 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

So what if we beat Minny??

We aren't making the playoffs this year.

Better to take the L.

If this team goes into Minny and beats the Vikes they're likely better than you think.

Granted, I don't think that's going to happen but if they shock the NFL world and do it I'd have a different perspective on the Bills moving forward. 

5 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

why didn't you just bet the money line? 

And if you're that worried, just hedge your bet by betting on the Bills

how does the "hedge the bet" by betting on the Bills work.  So he puts 5K on the Bills.  Wins.  Then uses that money to pay off the loss from the other bet?  Makes sense.  

I think this is BS...what does OP mean by "I got a very attractive offer from a local sports book that I couldn’t pass up." But the line you got was 17 points?

What was the attractive offer? If you lose, you get a blow job?

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

how does the "hedge the bet" by betting on the Bills work.  So he puts 5K on the Bills.  Wins.  Then uses that money to pay off the loss from the other bet?  Makes sense.  

He could put $5k on the Bills and only be out the vig if he wants. Or, he could put $2.5k on the Bills if he can afford to lose $2500. 

Hedging is usually done with futures. Say you bet on the Bills to win the Super Bowl and you put $1k on it at 500-1. They make it to the Super Bowl. Well, you'd be an idiot not to hedge here. I'd put at least $250,000 on the other team to win. That way, I'm guaranteed to win. 

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1