This Year's Bears = Next Year's Bills?

jethro_tull

Last year the Bears just started integrating their rookie QB after a disastrous start with Mike Glennon.  

They went on to a  5 and 12 record behind a shaky offensive line,  poor receiving corp and decent defense.  

The defense obviously developed well and received some upgraded juice in the form of Kahlil Mack.  The offensive line revamped only one starting position and seems to have developed nicely.  The staring receivers and TE are all new from last year.  

Arguably the Bears are looking like a legit playoff contender this year.   This year's Bills seem to be in a similar position as least year's Bears and might be on a 5 and 12 path (or slightly less).  The point is that with some off season moves and additional player development the Bears have improved their position from a 5-12 team to a legit contender and the same thing could easily happen to the Bills next year.  

• Like (+1) 6

19 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Last year the Bears just started integrating their rookie QB after a disastrous start with Mike Glennon.  

They went on to a  5 and 12 record behind a shaky offensive line,  poor receiving corp and decent defense.  

The defense obviously developed well and received some upgraded juice in the form of Kahlil Mack.  The offensive line revamped only one starting position and seems to have developed nicely.  The staring receivers and TE are all new from last year.  

Arguably the Bears are looking like a legit playoff contender this year.   This year's Bills seem to be in a similar position as least year's Bears and might be on a 5 and 12 path (or slightly less).  The point is that with some off season moves and additional player development the Bears have improved their position from a 5-12 team to a legit contender and the same thing could easily happen to the Bills next year.  

I’m sure it’ll get pointed out several times, so I’ll be the first.  There’s only 16 games in a season.

But to the point of your post.  We can all certainly hope that the turnaround is quick. I think we all realize this year, from a win/loss perspective, is going to be tough to watch.  Regardless of record, if Allen shows signs of growth from now till December, I’ll be optimistic for next season no matter what happens.  

There are only two things that would make me pessimistic next season.

1: Allen looks terrible this year.  Even this is a stretch though.  If he looks bad all year, I’ll still probably be optimistic, unless number 2 happens, which is.....

2: Benjamin is our number one receiver next year.  If he is the best of the bunch next year, I will be pessimistic heading into the season.  He’s a guy who has a place in this league, but not as a number 1.  Or if he is the number 1, he needs a quality #2 for it to work.  Like Golden Tate in Detroit.  He isn’t a great number 1 receiver by himself, but it works with Marvin jones as the 2

Edited by billsfan5121

15 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

The Bears are 1-1 with their only win coming against 0-2 Seattle who look terrible. Rodgers came back to beat them on one leg. Trubisky has 2 tds 2ints and 2 fumbles. Something would have to seriously go wrong in the division for the Bears to make it. You might be right though, next year it's possible that the Bills fight to a competitive 3rd place in the division. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jasovon said:

Allen already looks better than Trubisky in my opinion.

From what little I saw of Trubisky, it looks like the game is a little slower for him than for Allen at this point.  I do think Allen has better physical tools, but needs to recognize the defense and be able to adjust at the snap count.  In a year from now, I would think JA >> Trubisky.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

Allen already looks better than Trubisky in my opinion.

Yep.  Trubisky looks like his head is swimming.  Once he gets past the scripted (and practiced) plays at the beginning of the game he seems like there's too much going on at one time.  It's tough to judge the two, Trub has a legitimate defense that should have them at 2-0 while Allen has mainly played in garbage time, but for being year two, I'd be pretty nervous is Trub was my guy.

• Like (+1) 1

We can absolutely start out 1-1 next year!!!

I BILLieve!!!!

In all seriousness, their defense looks pretty nasty as far as a pass rush.

Lets remember they have a new head coach, who has one year as an offensive coordinator behind Andy Reid. He’s ran some really innovative trickish kinda playbook the first two weeks. That won’t fly all year long. The league always catches up to this kinda stuff once there’s enough tape out there.

I would hold off on the serious playoff contender part until at least mid season. 

They are still very talent deficient

We are pretty far away from being competitive and I don't think it can be fixed in one offseason.  We can feel better about the team's prospects if Allen and Edmunds show significant progress during the season, but I don't think this year's version of the Bills is as talented as last year's version of the Bears.

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills aren’t anything like the Bears. Trubisky’s ceiling looks like Alex Smith. Nagy is an offensive minded head coach. They have a battering ram as a RB. An elite pash rusher. 

How would the Bills be anything like the Bears? They have a defensive minded coach with a gun slinger as a QB. No pass rushers. 

5-12? I honestly feel that's super optimistic. At this point I can't imagine them having a lead in a game let alone being competitive.  I honestly think they are the new browns.  0-16 for 2018. 1-15 2019.  Does Allen survive that?  Maybe not and you're looking at drafting a qb in 2020.  Watching the past 2 games has been sheer torture. They just simply are that bad.  The lack of talent and sheer incompetence makes it like going to the dentist. Im dreading this sunday but i know ill watch. Ill watch because im a fan in the way that only buffalo fans can understand. which is why this season is so much of a bummer.  i dont trust beane to get this right.  lotuleilei, murphy, benjamin etc etc. are just invisible except for the paychecks they collect. these are his guys. he went and got them and they might as well be orange cones. oh well at least i can look forward to skinner and dahlin. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

With the ridiculous amount of dead money, I really think the Bills are in a category of their own, so the circumstances are a little different IMO.  Beane's plan appears to be trying to correct the cap issue by unloading high priced players, acquiring draft picks to build a base of young players, and once the cap is corrected, then adding key FA's.  Last years Bills were a mediocre team with a lot of holes that somehow made the playoffs.  I think this years "suffering", with $50 million dead space, is not a surprise to the Bills brass and shouldn't be to Bills fans.  Next season might look more like the 5-11 Bears, who were competitive for the most part, but still a ways away from contending.  The year after that should be the year they really start to compete, that's if Beane's plan works.  A big if, but let's hope so...

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

The Bills aren’t anything like the Bears. Trubisky’s ceiling looks like Alex Smith. Nagy is an offensive minded head coach. They have a battering ram as a RB. An elite pash rusher. 

How would the Bills be anything like the Bears? They have a defensive minded coach with a gun slinger as a QB. No pass rushers. 

next year, easy.  The D improves with Edmunds having gone through his rookie year, our pass rush improves with Bosa or Oliver and a FA, and the secondary also improves with FA.  The O-line improves via draft and perhaps one FA, and we acquire Coleman, Bell, or a rookie RB.  

1 hour ago, jethro_tull said:

So basically if we add someone like Mack on defense, add all new WR and TE, and have a line equal to the Bears line, which was fairly well rated in 2017, we'll be like the Bears 2018 team? That's all we need?

4 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

next year, easy.  The D improves with Edmunds having gone through his rookie year, our pass rush improves with Bosa or Oliver and a FA, and the secondary also improves with FA.  The O-line improves via draft and perhaps one FA, and we acquire Coleman, Bell, or a rookie RB.  

So improve at every level of defense on both sides of the ball and have the coach morph into an offensive minded savant. Seems unlikely but sure it could happen.

Allen>Trubisky, I just don’t see the Bills being built similarly to the Bears. 

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

So improve at every level of defense on both sides of the ball and have the coach morph into an offensive minded savant. Seems unlikely but sure it could happen.

Allen>Trubisky, I just don’t see the Bills being built similarly to the Bears. 

Yeah, the draft gets us a pass rusher (not hard to fathom), the Head Coach does not need to be an offensive minded savant if our OC is one (jury out on that), and finding one or two OL and some WR's is not out of the realm.  .