Stainless steel straws.

Pine Barrens Mafia

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We have a couple. We use one for hollowing-out jerky to stuff the dog's medicine in so he'll actually take ingest the meds. The other hubby takes camping, and I honestly do not want to know what he needs it for when doing his survivalist-stuff. 

Wow!  You got more than one Hubby!

You've got moxie!

6 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Some are going with biodegradable cardboard straws and these are the complete opposite......to each their own.  But I think the stainless steel will be a big hit with the cocaine afficianados. They may replace the giant McDonalds straws.

Joy Yee bubble tea straws!!!  Already replaced them, big enough to suck up tapioca balls:

joy-yee-s-noodle-shop.jpg

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Being over the age of six, I don't really use straws anymore so not a big issue.

Look who's all grown up!  ??

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/21/2018 at 1:12 PM, Dante said:

Since we get only paper straws out here I now appreciate a decent straw when I can get one. The paper ones are just gross. I would fully be behind a high end stainless steel straw. I wonder if Yeti® could come up with something?? A $25 outdoorsy type thing. I'm such a Yeti® fan I would buy a few of them.

Even better. let's make something that still takes a tremendous amount of energy to create, and takes a tremendously long time to decompose so we can sip our beverages more comfortably.  I mean how did man ever exist pre-straws?

24 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Even better. let's make something that still takes a tremendous amount of energy to create, and takes a tremendously long time to decompose so we can sip our beverages more comfortably.  I mean how did man ever exist pre-straws?

Yeah... Me thinks they aren't making a simple straw from scratch though.

Decompose?  SS ends up in the scrap heap and gets made into something else... Like a fork, frying pan, or Yeti mug. It's 100% recyclable

Heck, the straw may even have been brakes on  vehicle in some earlier life?

Amazing what You see when they are moving scrap.  Scrap is one of our bigger commodities that gets moved.  It's all separated... About 1600 tons a pop. It's totally recyclable. Again... We are a few million tons this year alone.

Years ago, I woud see more tonnage of of stuff like bauxite, for the production of new aluminum.  Nowadays... It's all scrap, ferro, non-ferro, etc... 

Recyclables are king... Big $$$$$.

31 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Decompose?  SS ends up in the scrap heap and gets made into something else... Like a fork, frying pan, or Yeti mug. It's 100% recyclable

It ends up in a scrap heap if it's disposed of properly.  If it's not it ends up the same place a plastic straw will end up, somewhere out in the environment where it takes a couple hundred years to break down.  Only difference is those will sink to the bottom of the water source rather than float on top.  Looking forward to the day where I'm walking barefoot in a body of water and impale myself on a 20 year old beverage straw buried in the mud.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It ends up in a scrap heap if it's disposed of properly.  If it's not it ends up the same place a plastic straw will end up, somewhere out in the environment where it takes a couple hundred years to break down.  Only difference is those will sink to the bottom of the water source rather than float on top.  Looking forward to the day where I'm walking barefoot in a body of water and impale myself on a 20 year old beverage straw buried in the mud.

LoL...  Well not laughing @ Your vibrio vulnificus infected foot from the straw puncture.  It just sounded funny!  

Don't they have bacteria that eats plastic now?  What a "silver bullet?"

Of course the enviros have a war to wage:

https://www.edf.org/blog/2018/07/13/are-plastic-eating-bacteria-solution-ocean-pollution-its-not-simple-science-shows

Environmentalism is like Communism, needs constant revolution, a struggle.

Shhhhhh.... Keep it down in here:

https://www.popsci.com/bacteria-enzyme-plastic-waste

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Don't they have bacteria that eats plastic now?  What a "silver bullet?"

Of course the enviros have a war to wage:

https://www.edf.org/blog/2018/07/13/are-plastic-eating-bacteria-solution-ocean-pollution-its-not-simple-science-shows

Environmentalism is like Communism, needs constant revolution, a struggle.

Shhhhhh.... Keep it down in here:

https://www.popsci.com/bacteria-enzyme-plastic-waste

This is a solution in search of a problem.

I'm not kidding about this:  I now turn off the station every time that commercial comes on.  I wonder of the advertising folks at WGR are taking notice if more people are doing what I have.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sooo... Probably a joke/satire thread, but...

I feel the need to interject. SS straws would be a considerable food safety risk. Cleaning inside the straw would be impossible, and since it touches everyone's mouth it needs real sanitation. 

That means restauarants would have to have high-temp dish machines (185°f, and very few restaurants have them), and basically steam them sanitary. Short of that, no way. You can't bleach something that you can't get inside, it would leave considerable bleach slime after several uses.

Considering who washes dishes commercially (generally 15-20 year old kids who care only about their tweet feeder), if you see stainless straws somewhere, steer wayyyyy clear. For real.

I do struggle with this plastic war we are entering. As much damage as plastics can cause (esp single use), they are our #1 defender against foodborne illness and cross-contamination. If they stop using plastic bags in grocery stores, people will get sick and die. It's really as simple as that. Not that meat is generally unsafe, but when you handle as much meat as a Wegmans cashier, eventually you will handle unsafe meat- and without the proper safety measures it could end very badly.

That's my boring guy argument for the day. I feel the need to sqeeze in a "get off my lawn".

On 9/21/2018 at 4:29 PM, dpberr said:

Since restaurants have declared war on straws, the next front will be war on take home containers.  You have some leftovers? You'll have to bring your own containers to the restaurant.

At this point, only only then, will the Americans who eat out literally ever night of the week hemmoreging money for lousy food will have an epiphany - it's easier to eat at home.  

To be fair, no restaurants have not waged this war. It's politicians, brother. We (restaurants) are the ones threatened with fines if we hand them out without being requested.

Fact is, more people are eating at home now than in recent past. It's over 85% of meals now consumed at home. A large portion of this, however, is take-and-bake, or 'heat 'n' serve', often packaged in single use plastics.