17yr playoff drought or 2yr losing streak?

PromoTheRobot

Which is worse? 17yr playoff drought or 2yr losing streak?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. Which is worse?

• 17-year playoff drought?
    • Two years without a win?

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I think it’s a very bad sign when you those are the choices you need to drag out to make yourself feel better. 

LOL, hardly the case of me needing to feel better. I just wanted to be the first to post a thread/poll like this because debating how awful we are is our national pastime.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

LOL, hardly the case of me needing to feel better. I just wanted to be the first to post a thread/poll like this because debating how awful we are is our national pastime.

Gotcha. I didn’t mean to point to you on this. I meant “you” generally. It is always depressing to see. As both a Bills and Browns fan it’s especially depressing when they’re the two teams being referenced. 

2 hours ago, no name said:

I'd rather go through watching allen develop or fail then see another snap from TT in a bills uniform. it was evident last night that beane made the right decision trading him and saving bills (although some still cling to him and make excuses) fans from anymore misery watching him in a bills uniform.

Instead they got to watch an even bigger embarrassment watching Peterman try to play QB in the NFL....

2 hours ago, arcane said:

Worth noting that we did not average 8-8 over this drought like people have said. We averaged 6.5 wins per season over that time. Only 2 or 3 seasons felt like we had a shot around thanksgiving, and that was quickly destroyed each time. 

I'd take the 2 years. 

It's also worth noting that the Browns didnt just have 2 really bad years and now are fixed. They had many bad years before that too and many chances to fix things but didnt. And so far all they have done is won and tie 2 of their first 3 games this year.

2 minutes ago, no name said:

like taylor, I wont have to worry about nate starting another game so that means nothing to me at this point.

One bad hit to Allen and Nate is right back in the driver seat.......

Unless they can find another starter who can learn the offence and be ready to start in less that 1 week.......

Edited by apuszczalowski

This is a good question Promo.

If you were to ask it again two years from now I imagine depending on each teams success will determine how many of us would vote then. If Cleveland is a playoff contender for the next 5 years I have to think more people will vote for the 17 year drought. I expect the same shift if we are good in two years and Cleveland is not.

4 hours ago, no name said:

I'd rather go through watching allen develop or fail then see another snap from TT in a bills uniform. it was evident last night that beane made the right decision trading him and saving bills (although some still cling to him and make excuses) fans from anymore misery watching him in a bills uniform.

Amen ? 

During the 17 year playoff drought, the Bills mainly finished between 6-10/7-9, drafted between 8-13 (not high enough for an elite player) and wasted those picks on DB’s, RB’s and other busts that are no longer on the team. I’d take two years of losing to draft an elite QB and other players that would turn this franchise around.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's more embarrassing? A 17-year playoff drought or not winning a football game for 2 years? Discuss.

17 year drought by far.  Thats a bad team for 17 years.  Anyone can go through what the Browns did when you tear a team down and jettison players.  Short term misery for what you hope is for sustained future success.  And quite frankly, the Browns have a great young nucleus right now and it appears to have paid off now that they got a real GM.  

Garret - Beast

Baker - Looks worth of the top pick

Ward - Looks like a future stud

Njoku - Looks like a beast in the making

Landry - Stud WR

Callaway - Looking like the best steal of the draft and potential stud if he can keep his off field stuff straight

Hyde/Chub/Duke- Potent ground game

Browns will go as Baker goes here on out, and so far the future looks great.  But they got all those draft picks and cap space sending out other players.  So the short term struggles to me are not nearly as bad as a 17 year drought.  That winless streak for Browns meant they got premium draft picks to rebuild...6, 7, 8, and 9 win non playoff seasons for Bills meant never having a shot at the Elite QB that eluded us or other studs and we had to mortgage more picks to move up a few times that didnt work out.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's a comparison of micro vs. macro failure.

One is almost impossible to achieve short term, the other is almost impossible to achieve long term.

I mean at some point, in the course of 32 games, you would think you would back into a win playing against a really bad team that just didn't want to win.

By the same token, a team should back into the playoffs eventually.  Shocking that we didn't do that in a 17 year stretch.