Browns are going to the playoffs

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

I totally agree with your assessment of Mayfield.  I'm usually very reluctant to jump on the bandwagons of young QBs because so many fail to continue to develop and become true franchise QBs, but Mayfield's performance against the Jets was absolutely amazing.  I've never seen any rookie QB -- or any QB in his first start -- come into a game and simply take it over. 

I have no problem with the high opinions of Mayfield, but just because you haven't seen any rookie QB come into a game & simply take it over doesn't mean it hasn't happened before:

Years ago a team was down to their 3rd string QB due to injuries & this 7th round rookie was forced into playing his 1st NFL game shortly after the game began.

https://www.footballguys.com/05gamerecap-ram-12.php

St. Louis Rams

QB Marc Bulger was out with a shoulder injury, so enter QB Jamie Martin. If you blinked, you missed him, and then rubbed your eyes wondering who was under center for the Rams. Martin was under center for just the first two St. Louis series, and he was constantly under pressure from the Texans defense. Martin was sacked twice and attempted just three passes before he left the game with a concussion.

As for Martin’s replacement, his name is Ryan Fitzpatrick, and he is a rookie from Harvard. This was his first NFL action, and he absolutely delivered. Fitzpatrick threw for over 300 yards and three touchdowns, throwing early and often to WRs Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Each receiver finished with a touchdown each, and Holt logged a season high ten catches for 130 yards.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2005/11/27/fitzpatrick-leads-comeback-in-debut-houstonplaying/

HOUSTON—Playing in an NFL game was new to St. Louis Rams rookie quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05. Coming back from a 21-point deficit wasn’t.

The Rams’ third-stringer took over for injured backup Jamie Martin yesterday, then threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Kevin Curtis in overtime to cap an improbable comeback and give the Rams a 33-27 win over the Houston Texans.

The seventh-round pick and last year’s Ivy League Player of the Year stayed calm by thinking back to his freshman year and first college start, when he rallied the Crimson from a 21-0 halftime deficit for a 31-21 win over Dartmouth. At the time it was the biggest comeback in Harvard’s 128-year history.

“I was actually thinking about that game,” Fitzpatrick said. “The biggest thing when you’re in those situations is you need to get everyone around you fired up.”

Edited by Albany,n.y.

11 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

The three QB's I were banging on and on about the last three years were Goff, Mahomes and Mayfield. Glad to say I was right.

I hated Mahomes but loved the other two. 

Obviously we had no shot at Goff or Mayfield, but we look pretty stupid right now for not picking Mahomes and then trading so much away to draft Allen a year later. 

Mahomes was a better prospect than Allen in pretty much every category. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 2

Lets see what Mayfield does going forward. 

Little easier coming into a game when you know Jets gameplanned for Taylor (ignoring the WRs and Middle of the field) than it will be when the DC gameplans for facing a real QB, one not afraid to make the harder throws unlike TT. 

Lets see that before we say Browns are going to playoffs. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

This place is so bipolar

Remember last season when everyone thought Jimmy G was the next big thing and the Pat's were going to regret letting him go? How are the 49ers doing?

Deshaun Watson was also going to be another great and then he got hurt. How are the Texans doing now with him back?

People were throwing tantrums that the Bill's didnt make a move to get I  front of the Jets after Darnolds amazing first game against the Lions, now everyone's laughing at the Jets because of Darnold

Now Mayfield helps a team get their first win in almost 2 years, giving them 2 wins in 3 seasons, and we are talking about him like he is a future HOFer and the Browns are going to the playoffs.....

What would this board be without hot takes and over reactions though?    And you gotta love the nuclear meltdown that happens after a bad loss. 

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Lets see what Mayfield does going forward. 

Little easier coming into a game when you know Jets gameplanned for Taylor (ignoring the WRs and Middle of the field) than it will be when the DC gameplans for facing a real QB, one not afraid to make the harder throws unlike TT. 

Lets see that before we say Browns are going to playoffs. 

I've heard this take quite a bit. "Wait until they get tape on them!". 

Sure, a defense can give you more complex looks, but if you're dealing with a QB who can stays calm and throws absolute lasers, not sure how you really combat that. 

You can limit them, but you can't shut them down. 

1 minute ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Sure, a defense can give you more complex looks, but if you're dealing with a QB who can stays calm and throws absolute lasers, not sure how you really combat that. 

I am not talking getting tape on Mayfield. More so seeing him face a defense that doesnt need to cover the middle lf the field because they are playing TT. 

I think mayfield will be fine and think Browns finally have a QB. But it is easier playing against a defense that Gameplanned against TT. 

39 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:
44 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's done well in helping to make both Big Ben and Brees look pedestrian. 

Has it been him, or that defence as a whole though? I haven't really followed him much or heard anything to say it's because of him

Lols.  Tyrod plays defense too? 

Man that guy is good 

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I feel like Hue should be fired for NOT starting Mayfield from game 1.  He clearly did not put his team in the best position to win games.

What was even worse was Hue saying in week 1 of camp that Tyrod was the starter.  Why would you not wait to see what you had in both QBs through at least a couple preseason games before making that decision?  Nobody was forcing him to make that announcement.

37 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

How much tape is there on the GOAT? 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

I hated Mayfield but loved the other two. 

Obviously we had no shot at Goff or Mayfield, but we look pretty stupid right now for not picking Mahomes and then trading so much away to draft Allen a year later. 

Mahomes was a better prospect than Allen in pretty much every category. 

Yeah I was pretty early on the Mahomes hype train. It was heartbreaking we didn't even look at him. I think the only QB we liked was Trubisky(I still think he'll turn out good) but it was just so obvious to see Mahomes was going to be a mega star. I wish BBMB was still up so I could show receipts. Before the season was over I created a thread saying he's going to go in the Top 10. This was when people were calling him a 3rd rounder.

I'd feel a lot more confident in Josh Allen if he had the infrastructure around him. Great offensive coaches around him, a solid OL and weapons. Not to mention a year as redshirting. He doesn't have any of those luxuries so it's trial by fire.

2 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I’m sorry, and what is an internet message board supposed to be?

Well this particular board is discussion about buffalo bills football.

The hope being good ideas and information being exchanged among fans of said team to further their enjoyment and knowledge

I fail to see how this thread does that