Browns are going to the playoffs

13 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He's got the goods.  Quick release, gamer mentality, great arm.  

The pocket presence will develop in time - he had a few bail outs with penalties and luck.  He'll make some mistakes here and there, but it doesn't seem like its going to phase him.  Good for them. 

Now hopefully Josh Allen can start exhibiting some of the same stuff.  

Tough division.  Considering 2 of KC/Den/LAC probably make it, they're probably playing for 1 wildcard in that division.  Their schedule does them no favors either, as they don't get to play some of the weaker teams in the AFC, and the NFC south is pretty good so far this year.

Their defense looks improved, and Mayfield was the shot in the arm that their offense needed.  But they tied pitt when they probably should have won... and lost to NO when they probably should of won. 

A team making the playoffs off of a 0-16 season would probably need those games to go their way much like we did with tampa/atl/kc last year.  Games we won in the 4th quarter.  

North is Steelers/Ravens/Bengals...

This place is so bipolar

Remember last season when everyone thought Jimmy G was the next big thing and the Pat's were going to regret letting him go? How are the 49ers doing?

Deshaun Watson was also going to be another great and then he got hurt. How are the Texans doing now with him back?

People were throwing tantrums that the Bill's didnt make a move to get I  front of the Jets after Darnolds amazing first game against the Lions, now everyone's laughing at the Jets because of Darnold

Now Mayfield helps a team get their first win in almost 2 years, giving them 2 wins in 3 seasons, and we are talking about him like he is a future HOFer and the Browns are going to the playoffs.....

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I'm aware - just saying i think 2 make it from the west.  So if that iss the case, the north is playing for 2 spots between 4 teams.  I don't know that they're going go get the 9-10 wins needed there with their schedule.

Ah, I see now. Read it too fast.

Mayfield looks great but let's not get crazy.  Last night he was fortunate to have his team recover a strip sack fumble.  He also hit a Jets DB right in the chest with a pass into the end zone that shoulda been picked off.  So Baker could have easily turned the ball over twice which would have derailed the comeback for them.  Things won't turn out as rosy in every game.

That being said, Baker Mayfield proved that he was easily the #1 QB in the draft.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Mayfield looks great but let's not get crazy.  Last night he was fortunate to have his team recover a strip sack fumble.  He also hit a Jets DB right in the chest with a pass into the end zone that shoulda been picked off.  So Baker could have easily turned the ball over twice which would have derailed the comeback for them.  Things won't turn out as rosy in every game.

That being said, Baker Mayfield proved that he was easily the #1 QB in the draft.

His receivers showed up there too in the 2nd half and made a few really nice catches.  Landry pulling that 30 yarder down with a hand in his face is why they paid him the big bucks.

Honestly happy Landry isn't in the division anymore.  He doesn't seem to be limited to the way the fins used him at all.

Yeah, that was pretty phenomenal. 

I know everyone has been drooling over Allen's howitzer, but Mayfield has a bazooka. His passes have some serious zip, and he knows when to throw it on a rope and when to arc it in. It's rare to see a QB come in and show tremendous vision and "throw them open" accuracy, but he did it. 

Good for Cleveland. They've got a tier tier prospect. 

13 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Honestly happy Landry isn't in the division anymore.  He doesn't seem to be limited to the way the fins used him at all.

Yeah, me too! It seems  strange that the Dolphins only put him on these really short routes. 

The guy has been very agile and explosive for years. While he may not be a guy you throw 50 yard bombs too, he certainly can do way more than catch 5 yard ins. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Yeah, that was pretty phenomenal. 

I know everyone has been drooling over Allen's howitzer, but Mayfield has a bazooka. His passes have some serious zip, and I knows when to throw it on a rope and when to arc it in. It's rare to see a QB come in and show tremendous accuracy and field vision, but he did it. 

Good for Cleveland. They've got a tier tier prospect. 

Yeah, me too! It seems  strange that the Dolphins only put him on these really short routes. 

The guy has been very agile and explosive for years. While he may not be a guy you throw 50 yard bombs too, he certainly can do way more than catch 5 yard ins. 

Adam Gase is one of those people who likes to throw a lot of really short passes/run the ball - then blow the top off the d when they cheat up.  Just kind of his style i think - and it works with tannehill

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Lot to be excited about in Cleveland for sure, but c'mon, lets not get too far ahead of our skis here. Mayfield is going to have some bad plays, series, games at times. It happens to all of them. 

Without question rookie qbs are going to be inconsistent. That's part of the learning process. But there was a stark contrast when watching TT and Mayfield play. The rookie qb has the accuracy and vision that allows you to run a pro offense. The hallmark of Mayfield's style of play is keeping the play alive and then as the defense breaks down make an accurate throw. How he played in college can be transferred to the pro game if it is done in a more limited and judicious basis. 

What was evident when Mayfield played (as the announcers repeatedly stated) his presence gave the offense a lift, including the running game. Because of that I don't see Hue going back to Taylor. I don't want to get carried away but with Mayfield as the starter the Browns become not an elite team but a team that can seriously compete on a regular basis. And that in itself is a quantum leap forward. 

You just knew that somebody was going to start a thread anointing Mayfield as the next great thing. Let’s give the NFL a chance to catch up to this kid before we crown him.Could be a genuine flash in the pan. Amazing!Could be a genuine flash in the pan. Amazing!

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How about Denzel Ward last night?    He was fantastic!  The Browns were roundly criticized for taking him with the 4th pick over Bradley Chubb but it looks like a good decision for them given how bad their secondary was last season. 

How has he looked in the previous 2 games, ones where he wasnt playing against a QB who has a chance to break Petermans INTs in a half record?

10 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Mayfield is the real deal. Defense is legit. Browns will win the North

The coaching staff dynamics in Cleveland give me pause...not sure that they can put their individual egos aside for the good of the team—cutthroats at the coordinator spots and clueless at HC 

10 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Mayfield is a stud. 

Underrated arm, elite accuracy, and in complete control of the offense. He's surrounded by weapons and couldn't have had a better debut with 200 yards in essentially a half of football. 

Arm

Accuracy

Complete control

Football IQ

Decisive

Guts

At this point in his development Allen has the arm & the guts.  Let's hope that he has the football IQ that will allow him to develop the ability to control the offense and play decisively. 

Shame on McDermott for not supplying him with a mentor.

Edited by Cripple Creek