Are Mcdermott and Beane the worst group to run the bills since pollian ?

19 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

lets flip the question.  looking at their personal moves thus far .  are you confident they will be able to turn it around ? 

Absolutely, year 1 they added solid players to the mix, year two they fell a little flat aside from Star (I still think he was a solid addition) The only thing i’m mad about was not signing Ej Gaines back. He was a difference maker. Trent Murphy is too early to judge as is Phillip Gaines although its not looking great. Their plan is to build through the draft so far and this year with all thay cap space i’m eager to see how they use it. 

19 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

yeah cause all the best teams build their team by picking in the top ten.  You can pick great in the draft without great position.  Which they actually have done a decent job.  I do not agree with the notion that if you cant make the playoffs you are better off being dead last.  You dont overcome being the worst team with a top ten draft pick. 

You're right, how you draft and drafting well matters more than where you pick and certainly contributes. But on a very fundamental level, the goal of every team is to win the Super Bowl, not 7-9 games each season and maybe crack the playoff bubble. It's also just a logical strategy that a higher draft pick simply allows you more options to select from - and choosing from among a greater pool of talent is always better than a smaller pool. 

I would even argue that the teams that draft well outside the top 10 and are successful usually have a team and system in place designed for their draft picks to succeed, regardless of any single team's intentions to foster these environments. So ultimately, draft grades usually come at the consequence of rookies playing on teams where they can succeed more. For those frequently in the top 5 - it takes time to turn these teams around and for other things to happen. But you're starting to see these results pay off for a few (i.e. Rams, Jags, even the Browns so far)

Needless to say, higher draft picks don't guarantee success, no - my argument is simply that they provide the greatest chance of landing talent. And for a team that perennially achieves 7-9 wins and never goes anywhere isn't bad, but it isn't the reason they play in the NFL either.

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

If you Factor in the descion to pass on Mahomes , the current state of the roster, the fact that they made a major investment in Allen , who is far from a sure thing, the jettisone of any player whith the slightest quirk in his personality this is the wost group to run the organization since Pollian took over.  

....DEFINITELY....I'd welcome back Brandon, Whaley, Marv, Buddy and Littman  in a nanosecond......they were FAR superior to Polian anyway......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

33 minutes ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

lets flip the question.  looking at their personal moves thus far .  are you confident they will be able to turn it around ? 

Too soon to pass judgment. If they hit on the biggest pieces they've spent draft capital on so far of Allen, TE, (analogous to Kelly, Talley or Smith) by way of us seeing marked improvement throughout the rest of 2018, then I'm good with letting them build up the supporting cast too through 2019.  

28 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

"To win in this business, it's about two things.  It's about players and winning" - Doug Whaley

and hookers. Don't forget the hookers. players winning and hookers

and getting baked

Hookers and getting baked are awesome.

-Doug Whaley

I read the title, and the first page. I didn’t realize it was actually a Mahomes thread. Remember, there were very similar questions about both Mahommes and Allen. Mahommes got a year to sit, watch and learn. Even he has praised Alex Smith for preparing him to be successful. He has Andy Reid for a coach, and a ton of weapons. I’d say he has a bit of an advantage so far....

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

If you Factor in the descion to pass on Mahomes , the current state of the roster, the fact that they made a major investment in Allen , who is far from a sure thing, the jettisone of any player whith the slightest quirk in his personality this is the wost group to run the organization since Pollian took over.  

Are you that desperate for attention?  Do you have no friends?

• Haha (+1) 2