Career advice book for somebody about to graduate college?

bbb

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Must be nice to be rich and do this

you can't go to Europe on 75 cents a day anymore

guess you missed the part where an actual freaking "JOB" was included in every scenario.

And in either case, ya don't need to be rich to live like a 23 yr old. Damn, me nephew just spent the better part of 3 months exploring Thailand, Vietnam, Nepal and some other places ..all for less than $2k!!!! Hostels and a tent on your backpack, no cell service, eating street food, making new friends and breaking bread and sleeping in their homes( some even female he tells me!!)....thats what I am talking about.

BTW, same kid came home for about two months..and has now gone off to South America and is working on a mushroom farm near Machu Pichu and loving every minute of it. 

He is 22..having the time and the experiences of a lifetime..he has 40 more years for a career and saving for retirement...

Should also mention every dime that funded these trips he has earned.. MY SIL ain't got a dime extra every week

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

guess you missed the part where an actual freaking "JOB" was included in every scenario.

And in either case, ya don't need to be rich to live like a 23 yr old. Damn, me nephew just spent the better part of 3 months exploring Thailand, Vietnam, Nepal and some other places ..all for less than $2k!!!! Hostels and a tent on your backpack, no cell service, eating street food, making new friends and breaking bread and sleeping in their homes( some even female he tells me!!)....thats what I am talking about.

BTW, same kid came home for about two months..and has now gone off to South America and is working on a mushroom farm near Machu Pichu and loving every minute of it. 

He is 22..having the time and the experiences of a lifetime..he has 40 more years for a career and saving for retirement...

Should also mention every dime that funded these trips he has earned.. MY SIL ain't got a dime extra every week

you really are too touchy, ask your Daddy for some soothing

the question was about a book, you went ahead with an ego-trip about your kid, get over yerself, ask your Daddy

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

I have preached this to my kids to the heavens..get your degree...and take off!!!

Go be a bartender in Europe and travel all over for 12 months. Teach English as a Second language in Thailand and explore Asia Pac.

IN other words  GOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I would be in the exact same spot as I am now wealth wise etc, most likely, had I done that..but I can never be 23 with no encumbrances ever again. 

And yes, I am dead freaking serious...

My wife and i talk about our biggest regret from our younger days is not doing a semester abroad during undergrad. Miami U had a damn campus in Luxembourg for Christ’s sake in an old castle!  Obviously seamless process for the academic portion since it was really just a branch campus. They also set up class schedules to essentially have 4 day weekends to travel / explore ??‍♂️

i don't think it really matters what you do, and long as you work your ass off.  with all of the crappy jobs i've had in the past, i just worked as hard at it as i possibly could, and it always opened doors.  no book required.  sometimes you just have to start working and being productive.

i'm no so sure how easy the travel the world option is for most now.  school loans come calling pretty quick, and  you can only stave those off for so long.  enough finding yourselves...just work.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

you really are too touchy, ask your Daddy for some soothing

the question was about a book, you went ahead with an ego-trip about your kid, get over yerself, ask your Daddy

what did you miss on this from the OP. How me saying "i give my kids this same advice" is an ego trip is beyond me. But you go ahead and make judgements ..all good with me.

.Or does somebody have a better suggestion?  Book or otherwise

As mentioned, I would advise every single person who is graduating college to take a year and travel and explore and do everything that you will not be able to do when you get older and have obligations.

And I have no idea why you have an obsession with my long-dead father. Kinda weird.

Edited by plenzmd1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i don't think it really matters what you do, and long as you work your ass off.  with all of the crappy jobs i've had in the past, i just worked as hard at it as i possibly could, and it always opened doors.  no book required.  sometimes you just have to start working and being productive.

i'm no so sure how easy the travel the world option is for most now.  school loans come calling pretty quick, and  you can only stave those off for so long.  enough finding yourselves...just work.  

What I have preached as well to kids... What college you go to may help land your first job , how hard ya work will determine the next 6 jobs ya get over the next 30 years! 

You can defer the the student loans I am pretty sure. I guess I just always look back and say damn, I should have done that. 

No. 1 piece of advice here is to try to pursue what he is passionate about.

He may not even know what he is passionate about, but I'm sure there is something.

Step 1 is figure out what he loves to do all the time and would continue to do for pleasure if he won $50 million in the lottery.

Step 2 is to take steps toward a career in that area or which takes advantage of that passion in some manner.

His passion might be sitting on his ass and greatly enjoying free time, while having no innate ambition to conquer the world.  That's  worth knowing!  A lot of career choices can work in that context.

Then again, he may realize he loves working with his hands and creating things.  IF that's true, work in an office doing abstract professional work is not going to be very satisfying.

Then he has to figure out how much $$$ he needs or wants.  A lot of people think they need a lot of money to be happy, but some do not.  Others do.

Figure out which you are b/c if you need a lot of money to get by, you ain't gonna be happy being poor.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:
Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions is a book by Ben Mezrich about a group of MIT card counters commonly known as the MIT Blackjack Team.

That was a pretty entertaining read, even if Mezrich takes wide liberties with the truth.

Has the op cleared up what field of business the godson would like to get into?   

HR? Insurance? Asset management? Safty? CPA? 

Goverment? 

So so much to look at.  My kids all had jobs in December before they graduated.  

Plez has a good idea. Travel go a period of time.  

If he has loans? 

https://studentloanhero.com/featured/companies-that-pay-off-student-loans/

5 hours ago, mead107 said:

Has the op cleared up what field of business the godson would like to get into?   

He doesn't know.  That's why I wanted to give him some ideas. 

9 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

His passion might be sitting on his ass and greatly enjoying free time, while having no innate ambition to conquer the world.  That's  worth knowing!  A lot of career choices can work in that context.

The hell with him.  How can I have a career sitting on my ass and enjoying free time? 

16 hours ago, mead107 said:

Not sure what a book is going to tell anyone what way to head. 

I just wish I had had some better guidance or ideas when I was his age.  I went into accounting because I was good at it and it had a lot of openings every year.................But, I think marketing would have been more fun - but didn't think I could was creative enough.  I found out later that I could be - and that I was a lot better writer than I had thought when I was 22. 

Pick a habit, we got plenty to go around.  Just play this vid for them... I kid, I kid...

"Ms. Cristina drives a nine four four
Satisfaction oozes from her pores
She keeps rings on her fingers
Marble on her floor
Cocaine on her dresser
Bars on her doors
She keeps her back against the wall
She keeps her back against the wall
So I say 
I say welcome, welcome to the boomtown
Pick a habit 
We got plenty to go around