Watkins, Woods, 6-100, 6-81. Benjamin, Jones, 2-19, 2-63

Foreigner

So now we care about how many different receivers caught the ball? I watched the USC game the other night and the announcers were gushing about the ‘chemistry’ the freshman QB had by repeatedly throwing to a single receiver. I guess it’s all in the way you want to spin it. By the way, both teams LOST.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So now we care about how many different receivers caught the ball? I watched the USC game the other night and the announcers were gushing about the ‘chemistry’ the freshman QB had by repeatedly throwing to a single receiver. I guess it’s all in the way you want to spin it. By the way, both teams LOST.

in some instances yes.

Why is it when established QB's do it its a good thing?    

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Almost every team in the tries to have a coach and GM who work well together.That's being smart.  A coach hiring a person he's worked with and has a good relationship hardly makes him a friend.  Rex/Marrone and Whaley worked out real well together!  I don't recall hearing much that Beane not talking to Sammy, and easy for someone to write that and claim it to be true.  And maybe he didn't talk to him becasue he heard enough without talking to him.  And just heard enough of Sammy to know he's not wort the money.

And 6 catches for 100 yards doesn't exactly make me think yeah he was worth the money!

This is why the Bills are terrible. We didn't let our GM hire any coaches, but a rookie HC gets to hire a GM? It makes no sense. 

• Like (+1) 2

to the spreading the ball around ...  

top internet search results 

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes will try to spread the ball ...

Redskins work spreading the ball around - Redskinmaven

Nick Saban would like to see Alabama QB Jalen Hurts spread ...

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Hughes was in the zone too.  The bonehead...

I did hear Jerry's name being called out a few times. 

that and  Yelling at / towards the Refs....  lol   Jerry being Jerry   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

this.  this thread is why i come to buffalo bills message boards.  thank op you sweet prince.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Why is that?  Because the OP doesn't blindly worship at the shrine to football greatness that is McDermott and Beane?

come on bro.  people need to back of the accusing posters who know a bad thread as someone who "blindly worships" this staff.  some of us have know the work of the op for years, and it's always sub par.  his threads are typically pretty pointless, not accurate, and are rather embarrassing coming from an adult.  he goes out of his way to prop up watkins this week, but was no where to be found the prior week when sammy gave another sub par performance.

this thread isn't for discussion from the op.  he wants to make a sad sack party.  i know you can see through it.  people are just too busy being angry right now.  we all knew this year would be a stinker, yet some are still acting like their birthdays have been stolen from them.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Why is that?  Because the OP doesn't blindly worship at the shrine to football greatness that is McDermott and Beane?

Well said.  Giving a rookie HC control of player selection is a prescription for disaster.  A few successful HCs, most notably Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, and Pete Carroll, have control over player selection, but these HCs have decades of experience.  I'm not sure about Reid, but both Belichick and Carroll failed miserably in their early HC stints when they had control over players (Belichick in Cleveland and Carroll in both NE and Jets). 

Can I interest you in purchasing a recently rehabbed bridge over Chautauqua Lake? 

No thanks, I'm too busy flipping out and crying in my cereal because my favorite football team isn't the greatest of all time NOW...it has to be NOW.  NOW, NOW NOW!!!!!!!!

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Woods week 1:  3 for 36

Watkins week 1:  3 for 21

OP can cherry pick his stats, so can I.  Proving that using one game to indict a decision is worthless.  And I say that as one who would have liked to see Sammy stay.  

The OP also ignores that Woods got an 8 million a year deal, and that it was Whaley who did not negotiate an extension before he hit free agency.  Plus it was widely reported he wanted to be back on the west coast.

Sammy?  He wanted the big contract, was coming off an injury that kept him out of ten games the prior year.  They traded him, and the Rams also did not see him as worth a big contract so they also let him go.  To akC.  Who in game 1 paid a lot of money for 3 catches for 21 yards.

The Rams had a rookie QB two seasons ago, did horribly, then they used their off season to draft and use FA to put more weapons around him.  The Bills this season have a rookie QB, we'll see how he does, and have an offseason with a ton of draft picks and cap space to put more weapons around him.

Just putting facts out there.  Some folks here say not to just insult the OP but give evidence why he's wrong.  There you go.

I’m sure Sammy going to the Rams and making one of the worst offenses into one of the best is just a coincidence.  Just like him going to KC and making them the nfl’s best offense is just another coincidence.  I’m sure the best passing Tyrod ever had are with Sammy on the field is just another coincidence.

i know this blows peoples’ minds but a receiver can make an impact without having 100 yards a game.  It’s why it is so laughable that people thought a scrub like Matthews could replace Sammy.  Without a deep threat in your passing game, everything else suffers.  Gurley was terrible the year before Sammy.  Well, with a guy who keeps defenses honest, there aren’t 8 guys in the box like the Bills face this year.

but clearly, with Benjamin and Zay, the Bills upgrade.  So happy we got rid of Sammy.  We are so much better off.  I fully trust this regime in making the right moves offensive.  They have shown a great eye for talent on that side of the ball.

1 hour ago, Elite Poster said:

And another double digits loss for McBeane. Is how we lose really something you feel encouraged about?

Yeah, I don’t get what was so exciting about that.  Our offense is a joke and we are setting up a young qb to fail.  So awesome???

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Watkins has had a 100 yard game once a year for the past 3 seasons.  It happens...

So he's all set for this season. 

Also 8 tds.  But we don’t like touchdowns in Buffalo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

As I recall wasn't Sammys injury the same injury Julio went through? 

Julio came back fine obviously so not sure why people consider it a "big" injury.

And if the Bills simply picked up Sammys option he would've been here last year and this year at least. The narrative that he "wanted out of Buffalo" is completely made up. I recall an article on NFL.com on Sammy a few days before he was traded in which Sammy said he loved it here and wanted to stay. 

Sammy still here would've immensely helped the rest of the offense(and our rookie QB has NOTHING at his disposal)as the receivers on this team aren't nearly as talented. 

It’s also funny this narrative that Sammy didn’t fit the “culture.”  Clearly, Zay and Kelvin are much better examples of fitting the culture.

i will blindly trust them on defense (though that even looks shaky).  But their offensive evaluation is terrible.  They did it last year with Tyrod. Forced him into a WCO, not his strength, and traded away the one good wr he had a month before the season started.

well some fans just blamed Tyrod and the OC.  Well, now we have a new OC and qb and they are doing the same things.  Forcing a raw rookie qb to play behind a terrible o line and with garbage and no speed at wr.  I was a giant homer and I am a very positive person.  But it’s so easy and blatant to see how bad this situation is and they learned nothing from last year.  So frustrating.

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why is it so bad?  We drafted a qb 7th overall, forced him to play too early, and surround him with scrubs while really talented former Bills wrs are doing well.

sammy didn’t “fit the culture.”  So instead of of Sammy, we had Jordan “drop a condom, make fun of Buffalo because he sucks” Matthews, Kelvin “fat, can’t separate, calls out a former MVP, can’t line up right, doesn’t try, & hides like a Female dog when confronted” Benjamin, and Zay “fighting for Jesus” Jones.  Culture upgrade!!!

also, Sammy is 2 years younger than Kelvin and not even 2 years younger than Zay.  

You forgot KBenjamins beautiful push off penalty on 1st and goal on the most critical play of our first playoff game in 17 years.

The laziest, most headscratching play I've seen from a Bills WR ever.    3rd down from the 1, I could see trying to get away with a little push, but he did a blatant push off on 1st down as the isolated WR right in front of the ref.   A high school player knows better.

I believe that play cost us the game, we held Fournette and Bortles to 56 yds rushing and 87 yds passing respectively.  

26 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m sure Sammy going to the Rams and making one of the worst offenses into one of the best is just a coincidence.  Just like him going to KC and making them the nfl’s best offense is just another coincidence.  I’m sure the best passing Tyrod ever had are with Sammy on the field is just another coincidence.

i know this blows peoples’ minds but a receiver can make an impact without having 100 yards a game.  It’s why it is so laughable that people thought a scrub like Matthews could replace Sammy.  Without a deep threat in your passing game, everything else suffers.  Gurley was terrible the year before Sammy.  Well, with a guy who keeps defenses honest, there aren’t 8 guys in the box like the Bills face this year.

but clearly, with Benjamin and Zay, the Bills upgrade.  So happy we got rid of Sammy.  We are so much better off.  I fully trust this regime in making the right moves offensive.  They have shown a great eye for talent on that side of the ball.

Yeah, I don’t get what was so exciting about that.  Our offense is a joke and we are setting up a young qb to fail.  So awesome???

Also 8 tds.  But we don’t like touchdowns in Buffalo.

Can you explain to me why you are so reluctant to actually read others' posts before you comment?  Are you afraid it will actually challenge your pre-set opinion?

So, I want you to actually read what I am about to write.  First of all, I am not the one who cherry picked one game to try and make a point about what receivers we should or should not have.  That was the original poster.  So I did just what he did, picked out one game for both Woods and Watkins indicating pedestrian performance by each to show the folly of such an analysis.

Now, as to Sammy.  Go back and read what I wrote.  It says quite specifically:  And I say that as one who would have liked to see Sammy stay.   Let me interpret that for you since you don't seem to understand:  it means I would like to still have Sammy here.

Now, having said that, is Sammy earning his big salary?  I would have to argue no.  Sammy for the Rams was a decoy many times.  Did that open up the box for Gurley, etc?  Yeah.  Did the Rams think that was sufficient to offer Sammy a big FA contract and keep him?  No.

I have no doubt Sammy will have some good games with KC.  But he will also have games like his first week with 3 catches for 21 yards.  It will depend on matchups etc. 

Are Benjamin and Jones making us better off?  Probably not.  But that was not the purpose of my post.  My post was to debunk the simplistic OP and show that cherry picking games is worthless.  And tell you what- if either Benjamin or Jones catches more passes than Sammy or Woods this week, I promise I won't start some snarky thread like Foreigner did, then claiming it's good we have either of them vs. Sammy.  And do you know why?  Because one game is meaningless in such an analysis.

Now, I hope you've actually read this.  And I hope you'll respond to the actual points made.  But you probably won't.

• Like (+1) 2

The decision on Sammy i could understand especially after some of his comments made by him about show me the money ! He thought he was worth more than his out put on the field was worth & his injury history, he got paid like he wanted so good for him but from the start the way he was drafted up till the time he was traded was anything but a good thing for the Bills .

But i can't understand why any one would have let Woods walk ! The guy was a total team player & he was dependable & not much of a injury risk & did what ever he was asked to do & was also a really good receiver & i didn't get why they didn't at least make a offer or counter offer to keep him around .

But everything happens for a reason & he is out where he spent his college time at & seems to be very happy where he is & with his new team so it's good to see a good guy get what he deserves !! 

5 minutes ago, T master said:

The decision on Sammy i could understand especially after some of his comments made by him about show me the money ! He thought he was worth more than his out put on the field was worth & his injury history, he got paid like he wanted so good for him but from the start the way he was drafted up till the time he was traded was anything but a good thing for the Bills .

But i can't understand why any one would have let Woods walk ! The guy was a total team player & he was dependable & not much of a injury risk & did what ever he was asked to do & was also a really good receiver & i didn't get why they didn't at least make a offer or counter offer to keep him around .

But everything happens for a reason & he is out where he spent his college time at & seems to be very happy where he is & with his new team so it's good to see a good guy get what he deserves !! 

This brings up an issue I don't think ever gets discussed enough.  When folks talk about "losing" someone in free agency, the assumption that seems to be made is the team could have retained the FA if they had made a bigger offer, earlier offer, etc.  But what that ignores is the human side of the equation.  Football players , while I think driven primarily by financials when in the FA market, also are human.  Thus, there may be circumstances having nothing to do with football that cause them to leave one team for another in FA.  Woods, for example.  It was widely rumored that he wanted to sign with a West coast team to get back closer to home.  If that is the case, wouldn't matter what we offered.  We would have had to offer an insane amount to get him to change his mind if it was the personal matters driving the bus. 

I think Gilmore might have been similar.  I recall a discussion saying he wanted to be on a team that got more TV time.  I think Whaley really tried to get him back in the fold, but likely it was non-financial reasons that caused him to go to NE.

There are obviously financial reasons for players to move in FA.  Also football ones (might like a coach, a scheme, etc.).  But don't minimize the impact of personal situations and desires when looking at these FA moves.

12 hours ago, Foreigner said:

The last 2 weeks are what happens when you quit on talent as the above statistics from Sunday shows.

Like I wrote last year, Beane and McDermott got duped by Carolina on Benjamin. He is even on the injury report

again this week. Jones made 1 long catch after he bobbled the ball. I guess running around naked with blood

on his body didn't make him a better WR. 

Thanks for the discipline Sean and Beane.

What is it that fans like you don't understand?

Watkins had ZERO interest in staying in Buffalo past his fifth year option, nada, none. He hadn't stayed healthy and has openly admitted he was more concerned about his own stats than helping the team win. They wanted him to prove it in year four, hence why they declined the 5th year option. Had they given him the 5th year option, he's leaving the minute that option is done and free agency opens up and the Bills get nothing but a bunch of wonderfully intellectual logical fans like you screaming at them for letting top talent walk out the door for nothing. Instead, they trade him and got assets in return, and you're still whining. 

They offered Robert Woods a deal. He wanted to test free agency, got lucky and got to sign with a hometown team. Can't fault him for wanting to be close to home and landing on a team that was on the tail-end of their rebuild as opposed to sticking with a team that was just beginning theirs. 

While Watkins and Woods were here, this team ran the ball more than any other team in the league while throwing it less than any other team in the league. What's your selling point to a wide receiver in that case? "Hey man, we know you're talented and want the ball but our QB is pretty limited, however our run game is great so we're gonna run it 45 times a game and try not to throw it more than 25 times a game, how's that sound?" 

The player has to want to sign to the team offering the contract. People act as if they just kicked guys off the team willy-nilly with no long-term plans.

And they end up with Benjamin last season only because they didn't expect to be sitting at 5-2 near the trade deadline with a real chance to end the drought. So they made a move to help end that drought. And ya know what? Benjamin helped end it by catching a TD pass in the snow game to help them win over the Colts. 

Last season, most of this fan-base couldn't be more ecstatic that a regime was coming in here ready to tear it down and rebuild. They're two games into their rebuild and so many of you can't handle it that you gotta put on your super duper special hindsight spectacles and vomit bullsh*t all over the board like you know something.

Get it through your head: 2018 is meant to suck. They're not going to win a lot of games. It's about getting experience for these young players, helping them progress and evaluating how they move forward in the future. Pull back on your emotions, don't worry about game results, just observe and look for improvement and progress. Makes watching the games a lot easier.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Polian was the GM first and then hired his head coach.  I really don’t know many other times it has gone the other way.  The GM’s main job is to hire a head coach.  I can’t believe some fans think what the Bills have been doing is normal.  It’s not. 

OK so your take is if the the GM is hired first and he hires a person he's worked which by your definition makes him his friend, that's fine, but if the coach is hired first and then hires his "friend" who he worked with before, that's no good.  So would you have been happier if they hired someone who McD never worked with before and then create the situation like we had with Rex/Marrone and Whaley?

Yes I agree in most cases the GM is hired first, then bring in the HC, but it's also not unprecedented to first hire the coach either.  I'm also not so sure the Bills could have put together the front office they had if they hired the GM first as many teams aren't going to let front office types go while preparing for the draft.  I doubt we'd have also got the guy from KC or think there was another from Miami prior to the draft.  Teams have to let assistants interview and take HC jobs, not so sure that's true for front office positions, have seen posts stating yes and no to that and almost certain not true for assistant front office positions.  Then the team could have been in a position of great we got the GM and HC in place, but a very thin front office as can't hire anyone else under contract.  There's a reason GM and front office position contracts typically all expire in May.  Hiring a GM in January likely meant you're limited to people out of work, in other words a past failure from somewhere else.

But does it really matter, either way the GM is likely going to hire as a coach someone he worked with prior, i,e, Polien/Levy or the  coach hies someone as the GM he's worked with.  And technically McD didn't hire Beane, Pegula did, but with a huge thumbs up and recommendation from McD.  And I'm sure part of Pegula's thinking was he didn't want to repeat the same mistake of coach and GM not always being on the same page.