Dolphins sign Nick O’Leary to practice squad

YoloinOhio

Should have been hooking up with the bosses daughter if he wanted to stay....

Seems strange to see him, Coleman and Washington end up on practice squads. Always thought of the PSs as being for the late rounders and UDFAs just getting I to the league, not guys who have a few years on active rosters and starts under their belts......

Edited by apuszczalowski
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, T master said:

I wish we would have kept him he was a team guy & usually came up big for us when they needed him to because he was a under the radar player, he was dependable & to this point could have done what any of the other TE's have done they sure haven't shown anything spectacular !! 

I'm also one of the few people who seemed to have liked O'Leary.   Didn't he have a big TD in our huge win at Miami on New Years Eve?  Oh well, I guess the Bills don't need a good, reliable, possession receiving tight end on this sorry club.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I'm also one of the few people who seemed to have liked O'Leary.   Didn't he have a big TD in our huge win at Miami on New Years Eve?  Oh well, I guess the Bills don't need a good, reliable, possession receiving tight end on this sorry club.

Gotta keep a spot open for the guy in a relationship with the bosses daughter.

As for OLeary, he is one of those players that isnt a liability on your team, but he isnt anything spectacular either. You wont really miss him if he is gone, but he isnt the reason why your losing. He replaceable/upgradeable.

If it wasnt for his famous relative, most people wouldn't have cared much about him...

5 hours ago, pop gun said:

Me too, 3 years in the league seems a bit too much for being signed to a practice squad.

He got 12 starts and played in 35 games. 

Found this and now OLeary being on the Dolphins practice squad really makes no sense.

Eligibility

Not all players are eligible for a practice squad, especially if they’ve been in the NFL for several years and/or played in a number of games. In 2016, the NFL adopted a modification to the practice squad rules that allows up to four players per practice squad to have two accrued seasons, making it easier for teams to have experienced players on their practice squad. In the previous agreement, only two players with two accrued seasons were allowed to be on a practice squad.

Other than those four players, eligibility is limited to players who have been on an active roster for fewer than six games, or were on a 46-man active gameday roster for fewer than nine games.

A player is allowed on the practice squad for up to two years, with one year counting as six weeks in a season. A third year on the practice squad is only allowed if the team keeps 53 players on their active roster at all times (which every team does).

I'm thinking it's because he was only on the active roster for 4 games his rookie year so that didn't count toward a fully accrued season.