Football for a Buck: The Story of the USFL

26CornerBlitz

15 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Without looking it up, can anybody name all the USFL teams?

I wanted the USFL to fold because I wanted the Bills to have Kelly. I was elated with the court's decision!

Due to USFL folding, Bills did great. Not just Kelly helped the Bills look at this: http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4953/remembering-how-useful-the-usfl-was-to-buffalo 

Kent Hull was a find.

Levy Polian Butler all from the Blitz.

Norwood even...??

Edited by cba fan

I miss the upstart competing leagues. ESPN (and before that HBO) did a documentary on the late great ABA - because of where I lived, my preferred basketball league of the early 70s (not counting the Braves of course). The WFL looked like it almost had a chance in the 70s, but it thudded to its death after a couple seasons, but not before being immortalized by Lou Reed in a song titled “NY Stars” - “paid 5 bucks to see a bunch of 4th grade entertainers.”  Could a competitor league ever make it today? I still thin so. I’d bet on hockey, with some kind of true international league with regional drafting rights, etc. it would start small but then potentially put a real scare into the NHL. 

17 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Without looking it up, can anybody name all the USFL teams?

I wanted the USFL to fold because I wanted the Bills to have Kelly. I was elated with the court's decision!

How many you want? Of the top of my head:

Philly/Balt Stars

Oakland Invaders

LA Express

Boston/Portland/New Orleans Breakers

Michigan Panthers

San Antonio Gunslingers

Oklahoma Outlaws

Denver Gold

NJ Generals

Houston Gamblers

Washington Federals

Memphis Showboats

Chicago Blitz

That's all I can think of.

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nope, but I'll try.

Chicago Blitz, Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars, NJ Generals, Arizona Outlaws, LA Express, San Antonio Gunslingers, Houston Gamblers, New Orleans Breakers.  That's all I got. 

Forgot Arizona

There are 4 more teams according to Wikipedia:

Birmingham Stallions

Jacksonville Bulls

Orlando Renegades

Pittsburgh Maulers

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Here’s another excerpt from “football for a buck” -

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/07/donald-trump-usfl-owner-an-excerpt-from-football-for-a-buck/

Editor’s Note: In this excerpt from Jeff Pearlman’s upcoming release, Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise and Crazier Demise of the USFL, we find ourselves in the waning days of 1983, when two bombastic multi-millionaires with large wallets and larger egos take control of two of the league’s marquee franchises. One, J. William Oldenburg, is the new owner of the Los Angeles Express. The other, a New York City real estate developer, is now the head of the New Jersey Generals. His name: Donald J. Trump . . .

It’s kind of a long read, but quite interesting. I plan on picking up a copy of this book. 

Edited by BillsFan4

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

Due to USFL folding, Bills did great. Not just Kelly helped the Bills look at this: http://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4953/remembering-how-useful-the-usfl-was-to-buffalo 

Kent Hull was a find.

Levy Polian Butler all from the Blitz.

Norwood even...??

Didn't the Bills have a few other guys for a short while? I remember a receiver, last name began with a B that Kelly threw to a few times. Chris Burkett?? Walter Braughton?

There was a punt/kick off returner too that played for Orlando. Can't remember his name though. I think his first name was Arro?  Arrol? something.

Anyway, some Bills trivia for those who might like the challenge.  Nevertheless, I've enjoyed this thread and reading about various stuff people still remembered.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Didn't the Bills have a few other guys for a short while? I remember a receiver, last name began with a B that Kelly threw to a few times. Chris Burkett?? Walter Braughton?

There was a punt/kick off returner too that played for Orlando. Can't remember his name though. I think his first name was Arro?  Arrol? something.

Anyway, some Bills trivia for those who might like the challenge.  Nevertheless, I've enjoyed this thread and reading about various stuff people still remembered.

Burkett was a 2nd round pick of the Bills. You may be thinking of Trumaine Johnson who played in the USFL.