Retired QB as a mentor?

ChicagoRic

Silly question. What is stopping the Buffalo Bills from hiring a retired QB on to the coaching staff to serve as a mentor to Josh Allen?

Kerry Collins?  Trent Green? Carson Palmer?

I'm baffled as to why the Buffalo Bills have not yet signed a veteran QB but barring that, is there any benefit to having a crusty old guy on the sidelines who has "been there and done that" who can mentor Allen between plays?

13 minutes ago, CDogg20 said:

I believe Jordan Palmer has taken Josh under his wing? Idk if he’s still in contact with him though 

I think Palmer's business is to prep prospects for the draft.  He has a handful (maybe 3-4) guys that he works with.  Right now UB's QB Tyree Jackson is one of his bigger names.

14 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

They have a QB coach on the roster, too many cooks can spoil the soup. 

He was working with Jordan Palmer in the off season and maybe 

that will resume. 

Great point--why have Culley on the payroll at all if he can't fulfill this type of job description adequately? While I in principle would have liked a cagey old vet on the roster to help Allen out like Darnold has in Jersey, at the end of the day the burden is on this coaching staff (Daboll, Culley in particular) to bring this kid's development along at a reasonable pace

I think a veteran QB who has recently played would be very helpful to Allen.

He would lend a voice and perspective that David Culley, the QBs coach, does not.

What Allen ultimately would do with such help/advice is up to him, but why not surround him with as many paths to success as possible? 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm all for them bringing in a vet backup to help him out but it works both ways, a player has to wanna sign here as well. For all we know, Beane could've reached out to a handful of guys and they're just not interested in going through the grind of an NFL season just to serve in a mentor role. 

With the whole Carolina connection, I thought Derek Anderson would make sense. Again, we have no idea, perhaps Beane did make a call and Anderson may have just said, "No thanks, I'm retired." We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Some people sure act like they know, tho.

1 hour ago, ChicagoRic said:

Silly question. What is stopping the Buffalo Bills from hiring a retired QB on to the coaching staff to serve as a mentor to Josh Allen?

Kerry Collins?  Trent Green? Carson Palmer?

I'm baffled as to why the Buffalo Bills have not yet signed a veteran QB but barring that, is there any benefit to having a crusty old guy on the sidelines who has "been there and done that" who can mentor Allen between plays?

What is a retired QB going to do? A retired QB isn't going to know the playbook. He might be able to give simple info, but the kind of info that McCown is able to give Darnold is invaluable because he actually understands the playbook and whats supposed to be going on. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Great point--why have Culley on the payroll at all if he can't fulfill this type of job description adequately? While I in principle would have liked a cagey old vet on the roster to help Allen out like Darnold has in Jersey, at the end of the day the burden is on this coaching staff (Daboll, Culley in particular) to bring this kid's development along at a reasonable pace

I'd rather have someone who was in the midst of the firestorm than someone who was outside holding the water hose

4 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

What is a retired QB going to do? A retired QB isn't going to know the playbook. He might be able to give simple info, but the kind of info that McCown is able to give Darnold is invaluable because he actually understands the playbook and whats supposed to be going on. 

I'd bet Tony Romo or a Rich Gannon would help further along his development. I'd guarantee they would help him recognize a blitzer and where he should go with the ball.

2 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I'd bet Tony Romo or a Rich Gannon would help further along his development. I'd guarantee they would help him recognize a blitzer and where he should go with the ball.

This is the problem.  Allen can get told what to do until he is blue in the face.  He has years of bad habits.  By forcing him to play too early, on a crappy team, we are forcing him back to his bad habits.  

The best thinf woild would be to have a veteran qb and have Allen sit as long as possible to refine his mechanics.  But this team completely screwed that up.  The Bills are doing the exact opposite of what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.  Not great Bob.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This is the problem.  Allen can get told what to do until he is blue in the face.  He has years of bad habits.  By forcing him to play too early, on a crappy team, we are forcing him back to his bad habits.  

The best thinf woild would be to have a veteran qb and have Allen sit as long as possible to refine his mechanics.  But this team completely screwed that up.  The Bills are doing the exact opposite of what the Chiefs did with Mahomes.  Not great Bob.

....hmmm.... sounds like you and McD have some serious issues to work out.......may not be within your pay grade though..............

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....hmmm.... sounds like you and McD have some serious issues to work out.......may not be within your pay grade though..............

You’re right.  They couldn’t afford me but I’d volunteer my services because I love this team.

the Bills can put on clinics on how not to develop a qb properly.  I didn’t have high hopes for Allen but I thought they at least had a plan this time.