Vontae money coming back

foreboding

11 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

We shoulda kept EJ at CB2. he was more than solid when healthy. Even if he only played 8 games he wouldve played them better than Vontae and not ran out on his contract.

EJ already missed the first Browns game.

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And Davis missed the first Bills game and now missing the rest, What's Your Point?

The point is that EJ isn't reliable as a starting CB and that's why they let him walk.  And Davis wasn't injured for the first game: they benched him.  And I doubt they expected him to play horribly and then retire.

Edited by Doc

12 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It drives ME crazy how some fans cannot see that if some players "get every penny they can get" that takes away money from pool of money available to other players but I usually do not let irrational rants edge me on.

Both of them get their money

They just raise ticket, merch, etc prices 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The point is that EJ isn't reliable as a starting CB and that's why they let him walk.  And Davis wasn't injured for the first game: they benched him.  And I doubt they expected him to play horribly and then retire.

....shed a tear now.....he now claims "I did it for my teammates because I didn't belong out there"........

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....shed a tear now.....he now claims "I did it for my teammates because I didn't belong out there"........

He could have told them and the coaches at half time "I don't belong out there and am planning on retiring after the game" and then...retired after the game.

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

He could have told them and the coaches at half time "I don't belong out there and am planning on retiring after the game" and then...retired after the game.

...OF COURSE...but now he takes the "for my teammates" route....fraudulent..............

18 hours ago, wppete said:

WOW.  4 months of work and you can earn $5 million. No business sense what so ever. We will be hearing that he ends up broke some day. Idiot.

Both he and his brother have made absolute fortunes. Maybe he ends up broke, maybe he ends up fine and able to walk when he’s 50.

i don’t like how he handled this but in the grand scheme, such is life 

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gaines may have wanted a long-term contract, but he signed a 1 yr, $4M contract with the Browns, only $1.4M guaranteed.

So he was actually cheaper than Davis.

I think signing Davis was an example of what seems to be Beane's pattern of "high risk, high ceiling, low floor" moves. 

But you can't fill the roster and get through the season with those.

As you stated Gaines wanted a longer term and richer contract than the Bills were willing to give him. So he signed a one year deal with the Browns. Although it would have been preferable for the Bills to sign him to a one year deal the player wasn't going to agree to it. Gaines signed  a deal that was cheaper than what Davis got. But that was Gaines choice. So the Bills took another option. It didn't work out well but you can't always foresee what is going to unfold. 

In hindsight most people would have wanted to keep Gaines.. But the organization didn't feel that the contract numbers and term was the right way to go. This is a system of frequent player movement. Sometimes the organization has the upper hand and other times the player has the upper hand in deciding what the options are. Gaines didn't like his option here so he moved on even at the expense of taking a lesser and shorter term contract. It's just the nature of the business you have to contend with. 

a total of $750,000 if he was part of the team’s active 46-man roster each week.

No one thinks this little detail is important? I sure as hell do. Davis was not on the active 46 for the opener??????

Could Davis have seen that as strictly a money-saving move by the Bills? Was it a money-saving move? 

That is not a good look to me on the surface.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

No one thinks this little detail is important? I sure as hell do. Davis was not on the active 46 for the opener??????

Could Davis have seen that as strictly a money-saving move by the Bills? Was it a money-saving move? 

That is not a good look to me on the surface.

Not a money saving move. Players on the 53 man roster get paid their salary, regardless if they're active or not on game day. So Davis made his 1/16 salary for game one and, even though it could be argued he doesn't deserve it, he also earned his 1/16 for game two. 

Edited by K-9

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Not a money saving move. Players on the 53 man roster get paid their salary, regardless if they're active or not on game day. So Davis made his 1/16 salary for game one and, even though it could be argued he doesn't deserve it, he also earned his 1/16 for game two. 

but what that article stated was this..

a total of $750,000 if he was part of the team’s active 46-man roster each week.

that is a bonus for being on the active 46 for every game the way i read it...that is a large chunk of money he was denied by not being on the active 46..and deserves to be explored

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

but what that article stated was this..

that is a bonus for being on the active 46 for every game the way i read it...that is a large chunk of money he was denied by not being on the active 46..and deserves to be explored

I just read the article and it's correct in terms of earned bonus; he is not entitled to that for game one, which amounts to $375k if I read the article correctly.  I was strictly looking at his salary and he was eligible for equal 1/16th shares for each of the first two games, regardless of being on the active roster or not. 

Just now, K-9 said:

I just read the article and it's correct in terms of earned bonus; he is not entitled to that for game one, which amounts to $375k if I read the article correctly.  I was strictly looking at his salary and he was eligible for equal 1/16th shares for each of the first two games, regardless of being on the active roster or not. 

the way I read it was at the end of the year if he was on the 46 for 16 games..he would get the $750K. The incentive itself sounds asinine to me, and i am sure there had to be protections for injury..or his agent should never negotiate another contract in the NFL.

I mean just think if that was the case, the Bills were sitting at 2-9..and they sat him one game to save the $750K.So something seems off, but at face value in that article I wonder if Davis is the back of his head was "damn, this team sat me to save the $750K..they are not about winning, what am I doing out here"

Its a weird situation for sure