Vontae money coming back

foreboding

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He could.  But it will be wrapped-up before next season and the money-back is useless this season.

It is not useless though because it can roll over to next year.

They may not use it, but any money they get back adds to next years money to sign players.

What I find most upsetting here is that the Bills thought they were upgrading from E.J. Gaines, who's now with the Browns.  Gaines was part of a very good defensive backfield, which is now struggling without him.  So for Sammy Watkins and a sixth we got one year from E.J. and a second.  Considering we wouldn't have Sammy now anyway, that's not a disaster, but I'd be happier with E.J. for several years to make that really work.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

Playing devils advocate here, he could force them to put him on IR. He was injured in camp. If you read his statement it talks about how his body felt. If he wants he could fight this. I'm not even saying he will. I'm just saying I doubt it will be clean.

I always say he could. I never said I knew what he would do. You read it that way. I don't know what will happen.

He could try to get IRed.. but his case would be weak.. he was playing in a game when he decided to retire. You can’t really turn back the clock and say I was healthy enough to play in a regular season game when I should have been on IR  in training camp. You also need a doctor to say that you should be put on IR. 

Any good lawyer would shread that argument. 

I think Davis knows what he did and will pay the money back. Any good lawyer would tell him that’s reallly the only option. 

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

What I find most upsetting here is that the Bills thought they were upgrading from E.J. Gaines, who's now with the Browns.  Gaines was part of a very good defensive backfield, which is now struggling without him.  So for Sammy Watkins and a sixth we got one year from E.J. and a second.  Considering we wouldn't have Sammy now anyway, that's not a disaster, but I'd be happier with E.J. for several years to make that really work.

I agree.. 

but was Gaines more expensive than Davis? If he was, that may be the reason we signed Davis. I feel like Gaines would have costed more or wanted a long term contract when he was injured a lot last year. 

We got Davis on a 1 year (turned out to be a none year).

Edited by Idandria
Fixed grammar errors

3 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

You can speak in absolutes. I'll wait for it to actually happen. At this point Bills haven't even started the process to get the money back and Davis hasn't sent in retirement papers. Everything being said is conjecture. I'm not dumb enough to believe it'll end this clean.

The money is secondary, signing Davis was a mistake unless they thought they were making the PO. If they thought they were making the PO and finish 3-13 or south of 8 wins has to add questions to their judgement.

Yes signing a former pro bowl player is a total lack of judgement.....

When the bills get their money back are you going to try to fall back to this arguement?   It doesnt matter that they got their money back because they shouldnt have taken a chance on a former pro bowl player

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It drives me crazy how some fans favor billionaire owners over players and nfl should get every penny they can get.

that said, I hope the Bills fight him for every cent.  What a gutless puke.

i don't favor either one. they all get way too damn much money. it's a joke what a seat costs, what a beer costs, what any damn thing costs regarding a football game.

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

i don't favor either one. they all get way too damn much money. it's a joke what a seat costs, what a beer costs, what any damn thing costs regarding a football game.

Definitely agree about beer.  It’s insane.  But football is a billion dollar business.  I was in Miami for the opener and tickets were $40.  Bills tickets are cheaper than Sabres tickets.  It’s not that bad and players deserve the money. Just not Davis.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It drives me crazy how some fans favor billionaire owners over players and nfl should get every penny they can get.

that said, I hope the Bills fight him for every cent.  What a gutless puke.

It drives ME crazy how some fans cannot see that if some players "get every penny they can get" that takes away money from pool of money available to other players but I usually do not let irrational rants edge me on.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Definitely agree about beer.  It’s insane.  But football is a billion dollar business.  I was in Miami for the opener and tickets were $40.  Bills tickets are cheaper than Sabres tickets.  It’s not that bad and players deserve the money. Just not Davis.

what happened to the days when you could take a family of 4 to the ballpark for $20? i realize i'm dating myself but good god, greed has overtaken most everything today.

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Idandria said:

but was Gaines more expensive than Davis? If he was, that may be the reason we signed Davis. I feel like Gaines would have costed more or wanted a long term contract when he was injured a lot last year. 

Gaines may have wanted a long-term contract, but he signed a 1 yr, $4M contract with the Browns, only $1.4M guaranteed.

So he was actually cheaper than Davis.

I think signing Davis was an example of what seems to be Beane's pattern of "high risk, high ceiling, low floor" moves. 

But you can't fill the roster and get through the season with those.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes signing a former pro bowl player is a total lack of judgement.....

When the bills get their money back are you going to try to fall back to this arguement?   It doesnt matter that they got their money back because they shouldnt have taken a chance on a former pro bowl player

Recall Mr Merriman ?

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Gaines may have wanted a long-term contract, but he signed a 1 yr, $4M contract with the Browns, only $1.4M guaranteed.

So he was actually cheaper than Davis.

I think signing Davis was an example of what seems to be Beane's pattern of "high risk, high ceiling, low floor" moves. 

But you can't fill the roster and get through the season with those.

Beanes method does remain in question with this acquisition. Injured. argumentative with Colts about his condition and being IRd.
Early  pick. position of need. comparatively cheap .

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Recall Mr Merriman ?

Beanes method does remain in question with this acquisition. Injured. argumentative with Colts about his condition and being IRd.
Early  pick. position of need. comparatively cheap .

Sure....Beane has to take the hit for signing him.  I am just saying there is a rationalization to sign a player like that.

EJ Gaines was known as a very good player when on the field as well before we picked him up....and that is exactly what we got with him.   Would really have preferred to resign him even though he got hurt again.

And Merriman really is a outlier dont you think?   He was a very good player before he was injured....he actually was a very good player for us before he got injured......twas not to be but the kind of shot you take if you want playmakers on the field (and keep in mind we actually have to GET the players to sign with us)

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is not useless though because it can roll over to next year.

They may not use it, but any money they get back adds to next years money to sign players.

No, I know that it can be rolled over to next year and that’s what I am expecting them to do.   I’m saying that whether they get it back soon this year or not isn’t important because they probably won’t be using it this year. 

4 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

I don't know enough about how they use this exemption so I won't comment other then to say he has not been placed on the retired list and he still belong to the team until his contract is resolved.

You hypothesized that Vontae could "force" the Bills to put him on IR, where the injury guarantees in his vet contract would presumably take over.

The motivation for a team to IR a player is to clear a spot on the 53 man roster, right? 

Since the Bills currently requested and received a roster exemption, they have no motivation to place Davis on IR.

It means they can fill the 53 man roster without counting Davis. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Sure....Beane has to take the hit for signing him.  I am just saying there is a rationalization to sign a player like that.

EJ Gaines was known as a very good player when on the field as well before we picked him up....and that is exactly what we got with him.   Would really have preferred to resign him even though he got hurt again.

And Merriman really is a outlier dont you think?   He was a very good player before he was injured....he actually was a very good player for us before he got injured......twas not to be but the kind of shot you take if you want playmakers on the field (and keep in mind we actually have to GET the players to sign with us)

Yes Merriman was an outlier and a previous regime. But Bills still need to overcome the stigma of ineptitude for many Folks.

11 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

We shoulda kept EJ at CB2. he was more than solid when healthy. Even if he only played 8 games he wouldve played them better than Vontae and not ran out on his contract.

hind sight my friend.

: )