Vontae money coming back

foreboding

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

the way I read it was at the end of the year if he was on the 46 for 16 games..he would get the $750K. The incentive itself sounds asinine to me, and i am sure there had to be protections for injury..or his agent should never negotiate another contract in the NFL.

I mean just think if that was the case, the Bills were sitting at 2-9..and they sat him one game to save the $750K.So something seems off, but at face value in that article I wonder if Davis is the back of his head was "damn, this team sat me to save the $750K..they are not about winning, what am I doing out here"

Its a weird situation for sure

Damn, I gotta read that article again. I totally misread the numbers, apparently. 

I agree that the incentive may seem odd on the surface, but this was a player in decline and coming off surgery for an injury. He didn't garner a lot of interest around the league, either, as a FA. 

I seriously doubt the Bills would deliberately sit anyone just to save $750k, though. They had legitimate reasons to keep him out of game one. Chief among them was his dismal preseason performance.  

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hey @K-9    rereading it think maybe a TOTAL of 750K, or about $46K for each game he was on the 46...so he forfeited $46K...certainly not enough for the Bills to do it for cap puposes

Thanks. I shouldn't read articles in a hurry. That prorated 1/16th share sounds reasonable. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You hypothesized that Vontae could "force" the Bills to put him on IR, where the injury guarantees in his vet contract would presumably take over.

The motivation for a team to IR a player is to clear a spot on the 53 man roster, right? 

Since the Bills currently requested and received a roster exemption, they have no motivation to place Davis on IR.

It means they can fill the 53 man roster without counting Davis. 

I believe IR is more than for a roster spot. It has contract implications for the player and the team.

16 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Yes signing a former pro bowl player is a total lack of judgement.....

When the bills get their money back are you going to try to fall back to this arguement?   It doesnt matter that they got their money back because they shouldnt have taken a chance on a former pro bowl player

Piss poor judgement. Not only Davis signing. The entire offseason is poor judgement and direction for the organization long term. Especially in free agency.

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Why do people even care if the Bills get the money back? 

Because a) he doesn't deserve it and b) the Bills will have even more cap room next year because of it.

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

As you stated Gaines wanted a longer term and richer contract than the Bills were willing to give him. So he signed a one year deal with the Browns. Although it would have been preferable for the Bills to sign him to a one year deal the player wasn't going to agree to it. Gaines signed  a deal that was cheaper than what Davis got. But that was Gaines choice. So the Bills took another option. It didn't work out well but you can't always foresee what is going to unfold

In hindsight most people would have wanted to keep Gaines.. But the organization didn't feel that the contract numbers and term was the right way to go. This is a system of frequent player movement. Sometimes the organization has the upper hand and other times the player has the upper hand in deciding what the options are. Gaines didn't like his option here so he moved on even at the expense of taking a lesser and shorter term contract. It's just the nature of the business you have to contend with. 

Yup.  Sometimes you overplay your hand, thinking you're more valuable than you are, and end up screwing yourself.

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not a money saving move. Players on the 53 man roster get paid their salary, regardless if they're active or not on game day. So Davis made his 1/16 salary for game one and, even though it could be argued he doesn't deserve it, he also earned his 1/16 for game two

He "earned" just 1/32 since he retired at halftime.

Just now, Doc said:

Because a) he doesn't deserve it and b) the Bills will have even more cap room next year because of it.

Yup.  Sometimes you overplay your hand, thinking you're more valuable than you are, and end up screwing yourself.

He "earned" just 1/32 since he retired at halftime.

"Earned" is a generous way of putting it. And if the NFL delineated to that fractional degree, I'd only give him that 1/32nd share. 

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

the way I read it was at the end of the year if he was on the 46 for 16 games..he would get the $750K. The incentive itself sounds asinine to me, and i am sure there had to be protections for injury..or his agent should never negotiate another contract in the NFL.

Nah, that's not how it works.  It's divided into 16 portions.  He gets 1/16th if he's active on the 46 each week, and a lower amount each week he's on the 53

You're absolutely correct no reputable agent would negotiate an incentive that would be so easily lost through being inactive due to injury or through the team being incentivized to make him a healthy scratch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

I believe IR is more than for a roster spot. It has contract implications for the player and the team.

Yes, it has contract implications for a player.  Most veteran players have a clause that guarantees them full pay while on IR (rookies have an "up-down" - a lower minimum salary while on IR).  If Vontae were to go on IR, he would get paid.

A team, on the other hand, has little or no financial benefit to putting a veteran player on IR (they may save some per-game roster bonus bucks, which are usually chump change from the NFL perspective)  From a team's POV, IR sucks - it means you gotta pay a player to sit around, even if they recover after a month and could play again.

Thus a team's only motivation to place a vet player on IR is to free up a roster spot while retaining a player's rights.  There is little to no financial benefit to them in IR'ing a guy.

The Bills got a roster exemption for Davis.  Thus there is no way he can "force" them to put him on IR as you speculated.  He has no leverage for that.

I've never really understood why fans care so much about the money players make/keep unless it pertains to the cap.

Baseball fans whine all the time about bad contracts. "Miguel Cabrera is stealing money from the Tigers." As a Tigers fan, I couldn't care less. I understand that theoretically that money could be spent elsewhere, but I doubt many sports owners are financially precluded from signing anyone they wish.

Granted Vontae is pretty unusual in that he up and quit during the middle of a game, but the passion about players and money seems odd.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I've never really understood why fans care so much about the money players make/keep unless it pertains to the cap.

Baseball fans whine all the time about bad contracts. "Miguel Cabrera is stealing money from the Tigers." As a Tigers fan, I couldn't care less. I understand that theoretically that money could be spent elsewhere, but I doubt many sports owners are financially precluded from signing anyone they wish.

Granted Vontae is pretty unusual in that he up and quit during the middle of a game, but the passion about players and money seems odd.

Even if there were no cap implications, I'd still vehemently maintain that Davis should have to repay most of the money he got because he did not earn it. 

8 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Ever play a team sport?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Even if there were no cap implications, I'd still vehemently maintain that Davis should have to repay most of the money he got because he did not earn it. 

I don't disagree. I just don't really care what x player gets unless it affects the team. In that scenario, I fault the GM for making a mistake.

Like I said, this situation is unique in that the guy up and left in the middle of the game. I'll give you that much. 

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Ever play a team sport?

Yes. Why?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't disagree. I just don't really care what x player gets unless it affects the team. In that scenario, I fault the GM for making a mistake.

Like I said, this situation is unique in that the guy up and left in the middle of the game. I'll give you that much. 

Yes. Why?

Ever have a teammate quit on you in the middle of a game

better yet ever had a teammate quit on you in a playoff or championship game?

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Cap does not work that way but you are welcome to send donations.

What are you talking about?

When the cap goes up and the owners have to spend more, where do you think that money comes from?

Not from their bottom line

From the pockets of the fans