Red Zone “defense”

YoloinOhio

They mentioned many times on the broadcast the red zone stats - I believe it was 9 trips to the red zone, 9 TDs at one point. They finally held LA to a FG late in the game on a red zone trip but then allowed a 10th so I think they are 10-11 now. From what i recall, this was a major strength last year. The defense wasn’t great overall but when they were in the redzone they did pretty well preventing TDs especially early in the season. I don’t have stats on hand, just going by memory. What changed? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They mentioned many times on the broadcast the red zone stats - I believe it was 9 trips to the red zone, 9 TDs at one point. They finally held LA to a FG late in the game on a red zone trip but then allowed a 10th so I think they are 10-11 now. From what i recall, this was a major strength last year. The defense wasn’t great overall but when they were in the redzone they did pretty well preventing TDs especially early in the season. I don’t have stats on hand, just going by memory. What changed? 

Its bad, but I'm more worried about our Red Zone offense  

every time Josh sniffs the 20 he runs backwards 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There’s more to it, but last season seemingly every break, every bounce of the ball went the way of the Bills. 

37 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

There’s more to it, but last season seemingly every break, every bounce of the ball went the way of the Bills. 

First five games of the season the Turnover Diff was unreal - you can practice for turnovers, but the majority of them is the ball bouncing your way. 

Our defense has some pretty glaring holes as well, and a rookie MLB who's quarterbacking the defense and doing a pretty solid job considering his age and lack of experience. It's just as much of a learning process on that side of the ball, too. 

We're getting gouged on outside runs, swing passes out to the flat, and LB mismatches. Edmunds will get there, but we are asking a lot of a very young rookie who is playing every single snap. Somehow we seem to manage with run stops between the tackles. I'm curious to see how much of that impact is Star, as McD claims it to be with his one technique.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

A rookie MLB who is extremely inconsistent, and one NFL-quality cornerback.

They were both development picks, Edmunds much less so given his scouting report, but we all knew he wasn't perfect at the position, just a physical exception at his age. That coupled with the rest of our lackluster defense doesn't exactly provide a stable learning foundation.

I get the pressure on Allen, and the massive media attention it demands. But going with a potentially unpopular opinion here that Edmunds has had just as much, if not more pressure on him as a result of the staff dumping more on him, all while they are taking a slightly more coddled approach to Allen where they can. If we expand our secondary with DB depth (which is literally a cliff once you get past Tredavious), and some actual line play on passing downs, Edmunds will come around just as much as Allen will with a full OL and WR corps. 

There's symmetry with it.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Its bad, but I'm more worried about our Red Zone offense  

every time Josh sniffs the 20 he runs backwards

Dude.  In his short career so far, Josh Allen has seen the Red Zone 4x.

The result is 2 TD and 2 FG. 

On one of the TD, he gained 23 yards running forward plus a horse-collar penalty where he was running to extend a play.

If I were drafting an example of textbook hyperbole revealing the writer's prejudice, it could read just like this.

• Like (+1) 4

On 9/19/2018 at 11:11 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I think maybe OC’s figures out Frazier’s strategy in the red zone and countered.   I think Frazier wasn’t able to figure out how to counter back.

....good assessment and agree 100%......not at all impressed with Frazier, especially his counter punching ability or woeful lack thereof................and it is well beyond the red zone...

On 9/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

A rookie MLB who is extremely inconsistent, and one NFL-quality cornerback.

The corner issue is glaring. In the redzone it often comes down to guys winning their individual matchups. I remember plays last year where each of our DBs won their individual matchups with touchdown saving plays. This year people want to throw at Gaines and/or Davis. Be in position, get the right leverage, use the sideline and the backline to your advantage and make a play on the ball. That is the game down there. 

On 9/19/2018 at 11:11 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

I think maybe OC’s figures out Frazier’s strategy in the red zone and countered.   I think Frazier wasn’t able to figure out how to counter back.

They figured out "let the other team score?"

How'd they counter that?

On 9/19/2018 at 1:46 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude.  In his short career so far, Josh Allen has seen the Red Zone 4x.

The result is 2 TD and 2 FG. 

On one of the TD, he gained 23 yards running forward plus a horse-collar penalty where he was running to extend a play.

If I were drafting an example of textbook hyperbole revealing the writer's prejudice, it could read just like this.

FTR I’m not attacking Josh.

There were the series (maybe the FGs) where things went bad due to rookie mistakes 

Also Mea cupla.  I’m remembering that disastrous preseason red zone play where he scrambled back and was sacked for well over 15 yards.  

Funny how my praise for him is forgotten as soon as I criticize a series or two 

Talk about attacking people because the reader takes ? the wrong way. 

If you don’t believe me read the Watkins catch thread 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FTR I’m not attacking Josh.

There were the series (maybe the FGs) where things went bad due to rookie mistakes 

Also Mea cupla.  I’m remembering that disastrous preseason red zone play where he scrambled back and was sacked for well over 15 yards.  

Funny how my praise for him is forgotten as soon as I criticize a series or two 

Talk about attacking people because the reader takes ? the wrong way. 

If you don’t believe me read the Watkins catch thread 

This guy is just super negative.  Looks at the glass half-empty all of the time.