SI - Josh Allen, Thrown to the Wolves

23 minutes ago, Pre1236 said:

Allen is in a terrible situation - to say otherwise is disingenuous. Doesn't mean he won't be successful but, if you are honest, can you imagine a worse situation for a prospect? Especially a prospect who is largely considered "raw".  How this organization thought it made sense to enter the season with Allen and Peterman as the only two QBs is downright alarming. 

I'd rather have this right now than the Dak Prescott situation from when he looked like a world-beater year 1 due to the team around him, and now looks pedestrian. Let's get someone that suffers early and then has a great career down the line for a decade or more vs. early (false) returns.

Sincerely, 

Honest Bills fan completely ready for a 2-14 campaign, to get better for the future.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm so happy that the media gives us a clear direction on how to develop players like Josh Allen. Start him, don't start him, he's grat, he's a bust. Clear as mud. :blink:

But that is not the issue.  They spent roughly 25 million most on defense.   Why not invest in o line or a vet wide receiver.   Even if the had to over pay.  They certainly over payed for star and Davis.  

They made a major investment in Allen why not get him as much help as possible 

14 minutes ago, iinii said:

Why is this so difficult for some people to realize?

The more as time goes on the more I am starting to agree with this.......Beane has this plan of getting rid of salary and bad contracts this year but maybe we should have spent a little money and brought in a guy that we can at least have some confidence in starting while Allen sat for a year.

That said...the train has left the station.....he is on the Payton Manning/Troy Aikman path now

OK FWIW:

1. Mark is my brother.

2. He is, in fact, very successful, as is the other gentleman quoted in the article, who is a close family friend of ours.

3. He is not a TBD poster.  He thinks it's ridiculous I actually spend so much time on here.

4. Their/our (I go back for a few games a year) tailgate was, in fact, the genesis of the table smash, as evidenced by the deadspin article/video from 10/5/15 in which a guy jumped through their table (at their request) and went viral (my bros and friends are right there in the video).  The phenomenon spread shortly thereafter.  If anyone can find evidence of a table smash prior to 10/5/15, please share.  We are all late 90's WWF/ECW junkies so that was kind of where the idea came from.

5. Of course Josh Allen is in the worst possible position to succeed.  He has the worst OL in the NFL (maybe the Giants?), the worst group of receivers/weapons maybe ever?, the worst defense in the NFL, Nathan Peterman as his backup/mentor and he was perceived as a project to begin with.  Who could possibly dispute that?  Juxtapose that with Patrick Mahomes, who got to study and learn under Alex Smith for a full year, has Andy Reid as his coach and the BEST set of weapons in the NFL at his disposal.  So yeah, Mark Shepard is right.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Watching Allen on the sidelines pumping up his defense last week showed his leadership. By playing, he'll learn a lot more about reading a defense than he would holding a clipboard. Having a vet to help him would've been huge this year and IMO, more valuable than a 5th round draft choice and extra ST player.

Considering he probably has the worst line and WR corps in the league will hold him back this year, but IF they get him some blocking and receivers that can separate and catch next year, watch out. The sky can be the limit with this kid, may the schwartz be with him.

40 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Did I really need to mention more than the one the article mentions? 

You don't watch football enough to know how many QBs the Cleveland Browns have drafted in the first round in their history to see that *nearly all of them have ended up on the scrap heap? Really? The entire league is littered with failed QBs that went to bad teams...oldmanfan...

The league Is littered with failures at every position. You have no way on earth of knowing whether any of these failed quarterbacks would have been successful on good teams. It is your opinion and nothing more.

Edited by billsfan1959

11 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Just in video of Mark Shepard after he found out he was quoted in SI

Image result for kramer runs away gif

Ha he obviously knew he was getting quoted.  Not a coincidence that my brothers get quoted in SI articles:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/13/colin-kaepernick-jersey-bills-jets-game-tim-rohan

Edited by metzelaars_lives

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The league Is littered with failures at every position. You have no way on earth of knowing whether any of these failed quarterbacks would have been successful on good teams. It is your opinion and nothing more.

Wouldn't you agree that a rookie QB drafted in the first round has a much better chance at succeeding by going to a good team then say a QB going to a bad team?

As it looks right now Josh Allen is going to get the snot beaten out of him this year because he is being thrown to the wolves. Even his HC stated he wanted Allen to sit this year.  Lamar Jackson was drafted in the first round and he is playing sporadically on a good team and perhaps might start at some point down the road. 

Logic dictates to me that one looks to have a better chance to make it in the NFL as he won't be a tackling dummy this year. Has nothing to do with just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Well, if you draw up a situation for ANY rookie QB to come into this is not a place that screams "mold a young QB"

-No vet QB on roster to help in film room

-Culley the QB coach that specializes in WRs

-Daboll no track record of developing a QB

-Horrible oline in front of him

-Not good weapons around him

-Defense minded Head Coach

I do think however Allen is going to be a good one. One thing I think works in his favor is he's playing the Chargers, Vikings and other top defenses right away. Getting his feet wet against a tsunami so to speak.

2nd half of the year I can really see him slow the game down against the "middle of the pack" defenses and start to shine.

Well said and so true.

And hopefully he survives that long...

It really is a sad state that Allen is currently in as I can't think of another NFL QB becoming successful after starting for such a bad team. The only bright spot on offense this year is McCoy and the team can't seem to get the run game working. 

If Allen fails at the end of the season most Bills fans will probably say he was never good to begin with...

7 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Wouldn't you agree that a rookie QB drafted in the first round has a much better chance at succeeding by going to a good team then say a QB going to a bad team?

As it looks right now Josh Allen is going to get the snot beaten out of him this year because he is being thrown to the wolves. Even his HC stated he wanted Allen to sit this year.  Lamar Jackson was drafted in the first round and he is playing sporadically on a good team and perhaps might start at some point down the road. 

Logic dictates to me that one looks to have a better chance to make it in the NFL as he won't be a tackling dummy this year. Has nothing to do with just my opinion. 

Of course any player, particularly a QB,  going to a team with better overall talent is going to have a better chance at achieving some level of success than going to a team with lesser overall talent. However, there is no empirical evidence to say any given player that failed on a bad team did so because he was on a bad team. IMO, it is a specious argument.

1 hour ago, jr1 said:

he's a grown man. Kylian Mbappe played in the world cup final at 19

Mbappe just has to go with his God given athleticism. He doesn't have to deal with the many demands and complexities of playing QB in the NFL. Soccer can be a physical game, and he'll have to deal with his share of tough tackles, but he doesn't have to worry about 300 pound men with murder on their minds. The French team is also stocked full of elite players.

Taking nothing away from Mbappe. He will wind up spoken of in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo. Incredible talent.

25 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Of course any player, particularly a QB,  going to a team with better overall talent is going to have a better chance at achieving some level of success than going to a team with lesser overall talent. However, there is no empirical evidence to say any given player that failed on a bad team did so because he was on a bad team. IMO, it is a specious argument.

Can you think of a rookie QB with as many issues and as long a list of things to work on as Josh who started for a terrible team and succeeded. He's in a very tough spot IMO.

Edited by starrymessenger

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The more as time goes on the more I am starting to agree with this.......Beane has this plan of getting rid of salary and bad contracts this year but maybe we should have spent a little money and brought in a guy that we can at least have some confidence in starting while Allen sat for a year.

That said...the train has left the station.....he is on the Payton Manning/Troy Aikman path now

Sadly. Peyton and Troy both came from big time programs that them more prepared for the NFL. This regime is starting to eerily resemble the Gregg Williams days. Get rid of everyone that doesn’t fit either financially or mentally and rebuild. Both Williams and McBeane have reduced the team to ashes. If Josh Allen is the Phoenix then hallelujah, praise the Lord and just win baby!

2 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yet another moron saying Tyrod “lead the Bills to the playoffs.”

If Nathan Peterman would have stayed the starter last year, would the Bills have made the playoffs?  The answer is no.  I believe Tyrod  isn't a franchise QB and had to be replaced, but the QB takes the blame when things go wrong and the credit when things go right.  The Bengals beating the Ravens was a lucky break, but the Bills still had to win to get in and they did.  The QB is the leader of the team.  That means he led them into the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, jr1 said:

he's a grown man. Kylian Mbappe played in the world cup final at 19

Mbappe and Josh Allen are light years apart. Different game, position, team structure, risk factors. Pelè played when he was 17. Our football is an angry and violent game. Futbol is more finesse and less brute strength to put it mildly. Mbappe played with a team of superstars. Allen is teammates with Shady and not much else.