The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard Eviscerates Allen’s Week 2 Performance

Midwest1981

20 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....why would he?...he pegged Josh as a 3rd rounder and got shown up......bet he had the other two at 1sts............

He had Darnold graded as a 2nd round pick and Mayfield as a mid-1st round pick. He had Rosen as the only early 1st round graded QB.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/04/20/ledyards-final-2018-nfl-draft-positional-rankings-quarterbacks/

Edited by DCOrange
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

He had Darnold graded as a 2nd round pick and Mayfield as a mid-1st round pick. He had Rosen as the only early 1st round graded QB.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/04/20/ledyards-final-2018-nfl-draft-positional-rankings-quarterbacks/

...interesting.....thanks......:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, H2o said:

So.........without reading through this whole thread to try and find out, has Ledtard apologized yet? 

What would he apologize for?  Allen played bad in week 2.  Allen playing much better in week 3 doesn't mean he's owed an apology for saying he was bad in week 2.  Or is Ledyard meant to be apologizing to Bills fans for hurting our feelings?  Personally, my feelings weren't hurt by people calling the Bills bad on twitter, they were hurt by the Bills playing bad on the field.  I don't think I'll be getting an apology from Sean McDermott, though.

And Ledyard's review of Allen's week 3 performance was much more positive, both on twitter and on his podcast.  If he had continued saying Allen was terrible, even though Allen obviously played at least pretty well, he would've lost all credibility with me.  For now, he retains some amount of credibility.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, MTBill said:

I'm an analytics guy - data science is very helpful.

One thing though - it's only as helpful as what you put into it.  Sports analytics is still a relatively young field and there are a LOT of variables unaccounted for.

So - it is a bit annoying that this guy does not seem to acknowledge his grade could be wrong...  It would be a fascinating case study if these people were to run the same analytics over the data on some HOF QBs against their college careers.  I suspect what they'd find out is that analytics isn't the whole story and they need to tweak their models to get better at it.  If all other talent/opponents college QBs faced were equal - you could focus on the measurable from only the QB.  But in reality, surrounding talent/coaching/opponents are vastly wide ranging - and that has a huge impact on the QB's measureables.

It's OK to be wrong John Ledyard.  Stop throwing crap like "this is why I had him as a 3rd round pick" in your weekly breakdown.  Critique him on the evidence before you, sans your prior judgement.

This ^^^

One such variable that this guy never takes into account from what I have seen is the current situation/score in the game. He is quick to pick Josh apart for not taking a chance on a tight window throw, but does not point out that at the time we are up 17-0 and taking the chance there would be foolhardy. Tuck it and run, sometimes a punt is the best play.

John Ledyard is crusading and it is going to be very entertaining to watch over the next 14 weeks. As you say, it is OK to be wrong. I will admit that I was. I wanted Rosen badly but damn am I glad I didn't make the pick.

Edited by Juice_32
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Cash said:

What would he apologize for?  Allen played bad in week 2.  Allen playing much better in week 3 doesn't mean he's owed an apology for saying he was bad in week 2.  Or is Ledyard meant to be apologizing to Bills fans for hurting our feelings?  Personally, my feelings weren't hurt by people calling the Bills bad on twitter, they were hurt by the Bills playing bad on the field.  I don't think I'll be getting an apology from Sean McDermott, though.

And Ledyard's review of Allen's week 3 performance was much more positive, both on twitter and on his podcast.  If he had continued saying Allen was terrible, even though Allen obviously played at least pretty well, he would've lost all credibility with me.  For now, he retains some amount of credibility.

Let's not get our panties in a bunch over one remark made from a sarcastic perspective. It was dig at the people who got all bent out of shape over his remarks in the first place. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Doc said:

Again, did this guy do analyses of Mayfield and Darnold's last 2 games?

I'd love to see it if he did. If anyone can find it please share. It would also be nice to know what his pre-draft "analysis" was of the other guys.

4 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

This ^^^

One such variable that this guy never takes into account from what I have seen is the current situation/score in the game. He is quick to pick Josh apart for not taking a chance on a tight window throw, but does not point out that at the time we are up 17-0 and taking the chance there would be foolhardy. Tuck it and run, sometimes a punt is the best play.

This is exactly what makes analytics (At times) utterly meaningless. It's a nice tool to use as PART of an analysis. it NEVER provides te whole picture.

6 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

This ^^^

John Ledyard is crusading and it is going to be very entertaining to watch over the next 14 weeks. As you say, it is OK to be wrong. I will admit that I was. I wanted Rosen badly but damn am I glad I didn't make the pick.

I wanted Rosen too. I’m not willing to say I was wrong about that just yet, but I am extremely encouraged by Allen’s progression. 

Kid looks like the real deal, and is focused on the right things. Better than I could’ve imagined. At this point. I’ve been fooled before, Trent Edwards, Fitzmagic, EJ for a game or two... 

Please let this QB seeking part of my life be over. As other Bills fans understand, It’s exhausting. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

On 9/27/2018 at 11:37 AM, Juice_32 said:

I'd love to see it if he did. If anyone can find it please share. It would also be nice to know what his pre-draft "analysis" was of the other guys.

You can see Ledyard's pre-draft take on Rosen, Mayfield, and Darnold here:

• Thank you (+1) 1