The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard Eviscerates Allen’s Week 2 Performance

Midwest1981

Allen’s footwork was terrible on a lot of his throws. I think the excitement of his first start saw him revert back to the pre-draft process Josh Allen we saw in college. He was certainly a lot more accurate in some of his pre-season showings. 

Hopefully he can can fix it. One other thing I  noticed which was a bit discouraging was I noticed Josh on multiple plays checking his wristband to look at the play well after breaking the huddle as if he was double checking to make sure he knew the play right. Is he having trouble learning the playbook or is this just an example of first game jitters and the lacking of confidence that often accompanies inexperience?

Edited by SoCoBills

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am not saying he is wrong. Josh struggled mightily. 

But, reading through that twitter timeline, this tweet stuck out to me - 

Does it almost seems like he is excited that Josh Allen struggled and he gets to point it out, or is it just me? 

He was a very strong critic of Allen before the draft iirc. 

That's the thing

Just like in political discussions, with people's opinions documented on social media, and everyone giving their opinion on everything, no one wants to admit it when they are wrong.

People will go to ridiculous lengths to somehow justify their prior stance, and just dig deeper and deeper.

Can't trust anyone to give an honest assessment anymore. It's awful.

PS.. I seriously expect this guy and many other critics to downplay any success, and gloat over any failure throughout Allen's career.

It's the New Way.

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Who is John Ledyard?   And why should I care about his opinion any more than the typical TSW hot take?...

Well, he does at least get paid for a living for his film analysis and was a semi-frequent guest on WGR during the build-up to the draft.

He isn't infallible but I don't think his criticism of Allen's week 1 performance is personal, even if we all learn as we grow up that unfortunately the three words that mean the most to most people are not "I love you" but "you were right."

2 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

The bad reads and protection calls don’t bother me.  The accuracy was not good , which was the book in him heading into the draft.  No doubt he is a good athlete and he has a cannon but can he fix the accuracyv? 

No, that usually cannot be fixed.  If you're not accurate when you come into the league, you're likely going to bust. 

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

I couldn't care less about the critique of a QB's first-ever game in the NFL.  I'll wait until a critique of Allen's 15th game.

I suspect he will still be inaccurate.

Edited by PeterDude

It’s hard to honestly comment on mechanics/footwork because:

1) I don’t know what i’m talking about, and

2) neither do any of you 

All we have is completions. Interceptions, td’s, presence and command. And it’s a mixed bag right now.  A mixed bag expected.  People throwing out terms like atrocious are in full-on image maintenance.  

When he said “I’m excited to break his Game  down “, yeah he ain’t breaking down jack squat. He wants to hear himself say l”I’m excited to break his game down “.  I want to trust people like this but he’s making it hard to . 

Edited by bobblehead

What do you expect the Bills to purchase with their 80 million of cap space? 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Fixed it for you....I dont really think your coming down on Josh just that reinforcements are on the way after this year.....

Less then 3 million in dead cap space

More then 80 million in cap space

10 draft picks

What do you expect the Bills to purchase with their 80 million of cap space? 

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

These guys cling to being right when they make bust predictions on QBs

The problem?   Josh Allen looks like anything but a bust.....he is in the worst situation you could possibly imagine and still finds a way to make good plays (mixed with bad ones)

Exactly - Allen was not the QB to draft and expect to become the franchise on day 1. We all knew he was raw and needed developing, that was the intention with the pick. If we had a halfway capable QB on the roster and team behind him, we would likely not have seen Allen play much at all this year, and just Mahomes him while he develops his game. He's being thrown in over a year before the FO intended and this is the result of the current product before any development can really take place.

But developing what exactly, with the team this year, I'm not so certain. The games he will be seeing each Sunday are not case studies of typical NFL games...I hope he/we can re calibrate his barometer to adjust to what an NFL team actually looks like and how a team is supposed to perform in this league.

Edited by ctk232

3 hours ago, baskingridgebillsfan said:

The bad reads and protection calls don’t bother me.  The accuracy was not good , which was the book in him heading into the draft.  No doubt he is a good athlete and he has a cannon but can he fix the accuracyv? 

Every rookie QB isnt going to look good every game. Darnold looked pretty good after throwing a pick six in week one but he looked mediocre in week 2. In week 2 he threw 2 INT's one of which was almost returned for a TD. He overthrew a wide open WR in the end zone. He had some good throws but there were several balls that were not placed well. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000962896/Every-Sam-Darnold-throw-Week-2

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

The biggest mystery to me is why the Bills traded McCarron.  He was mediocre but competent, and he would have let Allen sit and watch.  Peterman is not ever going to work out.

It's not a mystery at all.  The Bills, after getting to know Allen,  think he can handle & benefit from learning on the field instead of sitting on the bench watching.  I've been watching the NFL for over 50 years and watching the game didn't improve my meager football skills one iota.  Allen's best leaning opportunity isn't by sitting & watching, it's by playing.  

Once they reached that conclusion, McCarron was traded with their full knowledge that the sooner Peterman proved inadequate, Allen would go in there.  Now the sit & watch crowd, of which you are a member, can't go on WGR or message boards demanding McCarron starts. 

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

No, that usually cannot be fixed.  If you're not accurate when you come into the league, you're likely going to bust. 

You jump on and off the bandwagon from post to post. Do you even read what you write or does your little sister post when you are attending the local jr. high?

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

You jump on and off the bandwagon from post to post. Do you even read what you write or does your little sister post when you are attending the local jr. high?