Three legit chances to gain 10 yards - A key distinguishing factor between elite NFL offenses and others.

PlayoffsPlease

During the Brady era, the thing that I have noticed the most distinguishing the Patriots offenses from the Bills is what seems to me to be a vastly different approach to offensive game management.    The Bills approach always seems to be that you have 3 downs to gain 10 yards cumulatively.   The Patriots approach seems to be that you have 3 chances to get 10 yards on any one of the three chances.  Of course this mostly comes down to having Tom Brady.  And the Patriots go three and out plenty.  But it seems as though the Patriots approach leaves the defenses guessing a lot more.  Playing calling seems far less situational for Patriots than the Bills, and therefore less predictable, which in turn makes it hard for defenses to defend.   

Said another way the Bills have "passing downs" and "running downs".  Defenses play to the predictability.  The Patriots play calling seems far less predictable.

I am not in anyway comparing Allen's talent to Brady's.  One is unknown, one may very well be the GOAT.  However I do feel that Allen's skill set will allow an OC to be far less predictable in game management that we have been in the recent past. 

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Patriots don't have one single offensive approach, their game plan changes weekly to take advantage of what the defense does worst.

And no matter how good the talent is, this style is only viable with continuity. They are savvy vets and take advantage of inexperienced players and schemes.

Of course it helps to have Marsha and Bellycheat.

But lets fire a coach and GM every 2 years, with a new OC every year. And we wonder why we suck.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

And no matter how good the talent is, this style is only viable with continuity. They are savvy vets and take advantage of inexperienced players and schemes.

Of course it helps to have Marsha and Bellycheat.

But lets fire a coach and GM every 2 years, with a new OC every year. And we wonder why we suck.

I always wonder about this. Belichick and Brady together never had a losing season with the Patriots. What if they went 7-9 for three years in a row? Would the Patriots have still kept them in the name of stability?

Are we supposed to believe that the likes of Williams, Jauron, Gailey, and Ryan would have figured it out if only they were given more time? I don't buy it. On the other hand, the Eagles were a mess when Chip Kelly left and two years later they were on top of the league. 

I think there's something to the original poster's point. The Pats seem to be able to generate yards in the short and mid-range passing game regardless of down and distance, but I don't really understand how because I don't follow schemes. 

I feel like we are trying to protect our quarterbacks, and in doing so makes us much more predictable.

Take the kids gloves off of Allen and let him play imo. 

How predictable was it that our first two plays were going to be runs yesterday? That doesnt do Allen any favors

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

At this point I'd just settle for anything that isn't 3rd and 7+. Put the young QB in a position to succeed.

I'm just excited when we throw the ball more than 7 yards on 3rd and 7.  We've had too many checkdown quaterbacks through the drought who threw the easy 3-yard pass on 3rd and long, logged a completion, boosted their QB rating and hurried to the sideline to get a good view of the All-Pro Punter in action.

• Like (+1) 1

you can't compare anyone else to Brady and the O system they have set up

it is a bad habit to do this in life: I remember as an assistant coach noting at a dinner with 4 couples that the coach (not present) was a true leader, great mind for the game, got the kids to listen, they'd run through a brick wall for him, and he was a kind and moral man as well

all the wives instantly said "why can't you make yourself to be like that" to all the men at the table