Alabama would beat the Buffalo Bills, 'analysts' say

Heavy Kevi

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One of those undrafted players was a backup WR at Alabama that is currently playing here. The younger players are just that, younger. If you want to look to NFL correlation you need to follow high school rankings not snap counts. You have 5 star freshman at these schools that don’t play a lot (often to protect eligibility). You may have a 3 star senior ahead of him on the depth chart. The 5 star freshman is much more likely to be the NFL player. If there were 12 DRAFTED last year there is no doubt in my mind that there will be 30 NFL players on the current ‘Bama roster. Additionally, they have WAY more future pro bowlers than the Bills as of today.

I wish I didn’t agree with this, but I find it hard to argue. However, since they don’t have to worry about drafting their guys and just pick the cream of the crop, this would be true compared to many NFL rosters. It’s not unique to the Bills. 

I also agree that the men vs boys thing makes the Bill an easy winner if they played next weekend. 

6 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

Fair point.

Still, the spirit of my post I will stand by. Maybe not every, but most NFL players were, and I suspect you know that.

I don't agree they have more NFL quality players. Maybe more guys that will eventually be good/great in the NFL... maybe.

I also get Alabama is on a different level that other college teams, and get the best players. The last few years there has definitely been a ramping up of NFL talent, but in the recent past Alabama sends about 5-6 players to the NFL yearly (ranging from 3 to a all time high 11 last year). So depending on the stretch, there could be 30 players that eventually get to the NFL, likely more like 20 or less (roster turnover), but that is still much more than I would have guessed.

Many of these guys are still years away from being developed enough to play in the NFL, however, and so I think the distinction between "future NFLer" and currently NFL caliber cannot be understated. These guys need to grow, AND grow-up to become NFL players.

I will agree it's a 2+ score game differential, with Bills doing the beating up.

I think the “eventually” is the key. Today? Heck no! But over the next 4-5 years with redshirts and the sheer number of 5 star players they move through that program? That’s a lot stickier question. 

1 hour ago, Shotgunner said:

This is just plain ignorant and lazy "reporting"/analysis at its most swampy. How can you say that a roster of grown men who've made an NFL team, lacking as it may be against their peers, would come up short against "kids" most of whom can't legally drink? Put another way, how many Alabama NFL rookies each year end up still washing out, or are on the same learning curve as any other rookie playing in the NFL for the first time? I've never heard that Alabama players somehow magically plug 'n play anymore than any other rookie class on average. An overall dumb and subjective supposition since the theory can never be tested anyway in real life.  

this narrative needs to die. collegiate teams, no matter how good they are, will not measure up to a full roster of professional sports talent. no matter how "bad" said team is (Bills), it's not happening.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Purplebulldog said:

I live in Alabama, wouldn't even be close, Tide would beat us. In fact if Tua is available in the 2020 draft, regardless of Allen, I would take him. He is a generational talent

i'm confused as to why living in Alabama makes a difference. 

it's a moot point anyhow. it's literally two different classes of talent and skill. no comparison should be made.

2 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

the best HS team in the country would get destroyed by the worst D1 school.   This is no different. 

Just like these guys saying Bama would beat the Bills is nonsense, that is about one of the stupidest things I have ever read. 

Even the best HS football team maybe only has 5 or 6 guys that would go D1, a couple that would go D2, and a couple that would go D3. 

Even the worst D1 schools have kids that were the best at their respective school. Larger roster, more talented, and just physically and mentally more fit to play the game. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm being a little tongue in cheek - but that performance week 1 by the Bills was not an NFL performance in any facet.

That "worst performance" by the bills would still crush ANY college team.  I know these articles are click bait BUT what I don't understand how anyone with ANY actual football knowledge can give these articles ANY credence!

2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Alabama has maybe 7 - 10 players with NFL potential on their roster.

The Bills have.........................53.  Every player has been vetted by professional scouts.

This subject is another data point highlighting how dumb football fans are.  

Last year, they had 12 players that were drafted. 

In the years prior, it was 10, 7, 7, 8 and 9 

At any given time, they have 25-30 "NFL potential" players on the roster. 

2 hours ago, jaybee said:

Alabama has maybe 7 - 10 players with NFL potential on their roster.

The Bills have.........................53.  Every player has been vetted by professional scouts.

This subject is another data point highlighting how dumb football fans are.  

I agree that the Bills would defeat the Crimson Tide but your numbers are WAY off.

This season, no less than 16 players from the Alabama 2017 team made an opening day NFL roster. Another 4 are on practice squads.

Alabama probably has better players at every single offensive position with the exception of Shady, but as others said; they are young and would lose to a professional team.

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Im a huge Bama fan but even I say the Bills would win

Ditto.

2 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

Robert Foster was a star for Bama and in the NFL he is a UDFA...that's the difference...no matter how good the schools only have 7 or 8 players max that will be NFL players...they would get mauled by any NFL Team.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, seregil42 said:

I'll preface this by saying that I don't watch college football.  With that said, I find the "30+ guys" a bit hard to believe.  This past offseason, 12 Alabama players were drafted.  6 (I think) where signed as undrafted free agents. 

This is because the entire team is not draft eligible. A vast majority of Alabama starters are, or will be NFL quality.

Alabama currently has 4 wide receivers who (if they stay healthy of course) will probably be clearly superior to any receiver on the Bills and NONE are draft eligible. They consist of 3 sophs and a true freshman.

But again, the Bills would defeat them and I guarantee Coach Saban would agree.