Philip Rivers: A Sobering Warning

Jerome007

A lot of us have high hope Josh Allen might at last be that all elusive “franchise QB” that would help the Bills be a winning team for years to come. And I’m one of them.

But Rivers again dismantling the Bills have me realizing this: can anyone doubt he is a franchise, elite QB? His play and stats are amazing. While Peyton, Brady and Rodgers were the top guys, Brees and Rivers were certainly close and among a lot of the Top 5 for the last DECADE.

Yet the Chargers made the playoffs only 5 times in the 14 seasons Rivers was there… Sobering fact you need more than a great QB, how much awesome it is. I think Rodgers is the best, yet the Packers success pales compare to the Cheatriots, and even to Manning’s Colts and Broncos.

I’d take the Packers and Saints’ records and SB win over the Bills’ drought, but the point is that a great QB is not the complete answer. And some teams did win the Superbowl with “manager type” QBs. Anyway, even if just for entertainment’s sake, let’s hope Allen becomes a star! But that maybe not be the final piece of the puzzle, just a good chunk of it.

• Like (+1) 7

If only.  I would have told you you're dumb and you should feel dumb and everyone who read this thread is now dumber for reading it if that were the case.

You're pointing out a scenario that I'm sure most bills fans would be happy with as a bad thing.

Playoffs 5 times in 14 years vs playoffs 1 time in 18 years.

Hard choice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You need a good GM. That's all there is to it. Somebody at the Chargers built a Superbowl conternder with Gates, Tomlinson, Rivers, and a solid defense.. 

Somebody at the Colts had Edgerrin James, Wayne, Harrison, and a solid defense.

This guy for the saints has Kamara and Brees, and a solid defense. Brees could get a Superbowl with his current team.

Point is nobody is ever going to be able to replicate the Patriots. It's been a staggeringly period of dominance. When you get a transcendent quarterback, you're getting there, but tough titties ya gotta have talent. And you don't even need the quarterback. You realize how different game manager quarterbacks were when they won a Superbowl young? 

Big Ben was along for the ride his first SB. Wilson, Brady, Eli. Then there's nerfed Peyton, an Eagles miracle. Brett Favre's SB winning team was absolutely loaded. Ole Dirty B could have ran for 1300 yards on that team.

I don't know if you're talking sustained Superbowl success but it really comes down to a game managing QB, or a stud QB, and some very opportunistic rookie contracts. I think no matter what the window for success for any given team is very short and they need great drafts to be there. I'd say it's 70% drafting and 30% quarterbacking if you're married to winning with a HOF QB which isn't always necessary.

• Like (+1) 2

Of course it's not just the QB.

You need the GM to build the team -- but sometimes the team doesn't get over the hump (like all those Chargers teams earlier in Rivers career)

You need the coach -- and not just a regular season coach, but a coach who can win the critical game, unlike Reid, Levy, Shotty, that idiot who blew the SB for Atlanta, etc.

And you need the QB.

So yeah, you need a lot to go right and it can still be derailed in a single elimination playoff tournament.  On the other hand, if you have a decent team, QB and defense, you can get hot for a month and win a championship (Giants).

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

You need a good GM. That's all there is to it. Somebody at the Chargers built a Superbowl conternder with Gates, Tomlinson, Rivers, and a solid defense.. 

Somebody at the Colts had Edgerrin James, Wayne, Harrison, and a solid defense.

This guy for the saints has Kamara and Brees, and a solid defense. Brees could get a Superbowl with his current team.

Point is nobody is ever going to be able to replicate the Patriots. It's been a staggeringly period of dominance. When you get a transcendent quarterback, you're getting there, but tough titties ya gotta have talent. And you don't even need the quarterback. You realize how different game manager quarterbacks were when they won a Superbowl young? 

Big Ben was along for the ride his first SB. Wilson, Brady, Eli. Then there's nerfed Peyton, an Eagles miracle. Brett Favre's SB winning team was absolutely loaded. Ole Dirty B could have ran for 1300 yards on that team.

I don't know if you're talking sustained Superbowl success but it really comes down to a game managing QB, or a stud QB, and some very opportunistic rookie contracts. I think no matter what the window for success for any given team is very short and they need great drafts to be there. I'd say it's 70% drafting and 30% quarterbacking if you're married to winning with a HOF QB which isn't always necessary.

Getting performance out of very opportunistic rookie K’s is critical under the cap for a rebuilding franchise like us—with the salary cap constraints being what they are and Beane probably having to overpay the 2019 FA’s, maybe the Seahawks model when they started their run with Wilson on his rookie deal leaving space for paying a monster D and key offensive playmakers around him is the way to emulate?

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Getting performance out of very opportunistic rookie K’s is critical under the cap for a rebuilding franchise like us—with the salary cap constraints being what they are and Beane probably having to overpay the 2019 FA’s, maybe the Seahawks model when they started their run with Wilson on his rookie deal leaving space for paying a monster D and key offensive playmakers around him is the way to emulate?

Yeah we need all the cheap talented rookie contract K's we can get..

And emulating 2 consecutive Superbowl winning drafts is a good idea sure.

What the hell are you talking about haha

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

A lot of us have high hope Josh Allen might at last be that all elusive “franchise QB” that would help the Bills be a winning team for years to come. And I’m one of them.

But Rivers again dismantling the Bills have me realizing this: can anyone doubt he is a franchise, elite QB? His play and stats are amazing. While Peyton, Brady and Rodgers were the top guys, Brees and Rivers were certainly close and among a lot of the Top 5 for the last DECADE.

Yet the Chargers made the playoffs only 5 times in the 14 seasons Rivers was there… Sobering fact you need more than a great QB, how much awesome it is. I think Rodgers is the best, yet the Packers success pales compare to the Cheatriots, and even to Manning’s Colts and Broncos.

I’d take the Packers and Saints’ records and SB win over the Bills’ drought, but the point is that a great QB is not the complete answer. And some teams did win the Superbowl with “manager type” QBs. Anyway, even if just for entertainment’s sake, let’s hope Allen becomes a star! But that maybe not be the final piece of the puzzle, just a good chunk of it.

Absolutely. So we need to be just like the Patriots 

START CHEATING, They do it yearly 

skirt the Salary Cap with Tom Brady yearly NOT paying him market value. However Owners invest in his businesses and pay TB12 $200 per physical therapy session (2015) for thier players. 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah we need all the cheap talented rookie contract K's we can get..

And emulating 2 consecutive Superbowl winning drafts is a good idea sure.

What the hell are you talking about haha

All I’m saying is look at the Seahawks since Wilson got paid—basically downhill ever since, but they were unstoppable when they had all the cap room in the world to work with before that. Of course, Cleveland has had all the cap room in the world for all of recent history and that hasn’t gotten them a W yet either, so maybe bad analogy, IDK. Just hoping we hit some gold with our cash in 2019.

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

YEAH

2 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

All I’m saying is look at the Seahawks since Wilson got paid—basically downhill ever since, but they were unstoppable when they had all the cap room in the world to work with before that. Of course, Cleveland has had all the cap room in the world for all of recent history and that hasn’t gotten them a W yet either, so maybe bad analogy, IDK. Just hoping we hit some gold with our cash in 2019.

I'd be the Seahawks in a hot minute. Reload through the draft. Doesn't matter how expensive Wilson is, if they had the exact same Wagner chancellor Sherman draft last year they'd be in the Superbowl in a year or 2

4 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'd be the Seahawks in a hot minute. Reload through the draft. Doesn't matter how expensive Wilson is, if they had the exact same Wagner chancellor Sherman draft last year they'd be in the Superbowl in a year or 2

Agreed—but their margin for error was narrowed a lot by Wilson K. You have no chance if your draft classes after don’t hit and no $ to plug holes in FA. I wonder if we will ever see QB money correction in our lifetimes? Rookie signings used to be going the same way before the new CBA. Maybe a new thread topic in there somewhere