Philip Rivers: A Sobering Warning

Jerome007

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Flutie had his moments here too--was also better than Fitzmagic over the long haul 

Bledsoe and Flutie and Orton were franchise men but they were on the steep decline of their peak years

landfill or clean fill if you like

8 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I'll give you another sobering thought.

Josh in no way shows signs of ever playing on the level of Rivers, who will likely end up in the HOF.

Some have suggested Allen projects out to be a Matt Stafford type, if things go well.

Matt Stafford?  That's what everyone is so excited about around here?

What the hell has that guy ever done?

This post won't win me many friends, but Stafford is not the QB he is like.

Stafford = Small, accurate, big arm  (not Josh)

Blake Bortles = Huge, moves but not an ankle breaker, huge arm, questionable accuracy, getting better with time

We might have our Blake Bortles. Hope he is more Big Ben, but...

37 minutes ago, foreboding said:

This post won't win me many friends, but Stafford is not the QB he is like.

Stafford = Small, accurate, big arm  (not Josh)

Blake Bortles = Huge, moves but not an ankle breaker, huge arm, questionable accuracy, getting better with time

We might have our Blake Bortles. Hope he is more Big Ben, but...

Stafford, Bortles, Ben are all franchise QBs

Ben is a HoF

A sobering fact: From my count (i could be wrong by 1 or 2)

31 different QB's in SUPER BOWL history (just keeping this argument to Super Bowls) have won at least 1.

31 out of 52 seasons, 28-32 teams in the league most years.

Do the math, lets say over those 52 years there have been an average of 28 teams vying for the SB at the same time. 52 * 28 = 1456 different teams different years over that time frame.

And of the 52 winners, only 31 DIFFERENT QB's.

0.02% of the time.

The odds are super slim folks. What every fan should root for is a QB that gives the Bills a LEGIT chance to win, maybe 4 out of say 12 years. And hope we get 1.

Stop comparing to Brady, Manning or the like. Those odds are amazingly slim.

Ya I also like to use Brees as an example.

Sure he has a SB ring.

But post SB his Team struggled for a few years even as dominant as he was

Then last year they get a good defence and run game and they almost go back to the SB.

Definitly is a team game. With the QB being the most important role of course though 

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Look at his playoff body of work. He’s a choker 

when Brady and Peyton squared off in a playoff game, one had to lose

ask your grade 6 teacher, during your recess, today,  if you can't grasp this basic sports concept

Edited by row_33

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

when Brady and Peyton squared off in a playoff game, one had to lose

ask your grade 6 teacher, during your recess, today,  if you can't grasp this basic sports concept

Chill Philly- didn’t know you lurked here. 

PS: you’re not elite you big choker pants. Google Rivers and Choke. Watch your smartphone melt with hits. 

Also  don’t give me Brady and Manning when you lose to mark Sanchez. 

And you’re not elite when you’ve made the playoffs once in nearly a decade. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

PS: you’re not elite you big choker pants. Google Rivers and Choke. Watch your smartphone melt with hits. 

butterfly net-laden men coming over today?

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Stafford, Bortles, Ben are all franchise QBs

Ben is a HoF

I can't believe the expectations we have. Bortles is a franchise QB, far from perfect, but he can win a lot of games with a strong team.. and he's cheap.

Dalton is a franchise QB by every definition of a word. Quarterback is the most important position in football, but being a team sport means you take your franchise quarterback that can almost always give you a win even on his worse day as his team carries him.

If we truly want to aim for the next Big Ben or better (or worse, our FO), and are going to keep shuffling quarterbacks that aren't "good enough" to win any given game by themselves, then we're never going to have success until we get the incredible luck of getting THAT guy. And when we do we'll be disappointed on how many quarterbacks we wasted time on. It's the most self destructive approach for a team.

Not to piss you off but you are a Packers fan right? feels like you've implied it. One of my favorite Packers stories was when Brett Favre commented "took him long enough" when Aaron Rodgers won the superbowl. Super jackass thing to say, but Brett recognized that he, a 3 time MVP in a row, couldn't win with many of his rosters. And knew when he left the Packers that they were starting to look very good. He expected someone of Rodgers' talent to win because he had the supporting cast Favre himself thought he could win with on that team, after about a decade of knowing he just didn't have a roster to go all the way.

Brett saw what could be done in 1998 when he saw his defense was potent, his offensive line was so good, Dorsey Levins (who was an okay runningback) ripped off for like 1300 years. He could throw Antonio Freeman for 1400 yards. Chmura was no slouch. Brett in his 2nd or 3rd MVP campaign knew he wouldn't win without that team. He knew he'd struggle with Donald Driver and Bubba Franks. He knew Ahman Green's production didn't have the defense to support the duel threat offense.

Brett knew his 2nd to last year on the Vikings was loaded calling it "the best team he's ever been on" (not true, 1998: Brett don't be petty about GB), but good god it was good. A prime Sidney Rice, offensive line, and Adrian Peterman.

Point is Brett knows way more than we do. He was one of the best quarterbacks for a very long time and knew when he could win with a supporting cast. And in his 20 years, he realizes he might have played on like 5 superbowl caliber teams (being generous with his Vikings team and last year on the Packers). No, a quarterback can't win alone, ever.

AND BOY DID BRETT LOVE THE COMBINATION OF AN ALL-SEASON LONG VICODEN BINGE WITH AN MVP AWARD. Who does that?? Amazing human being regarding his body's constitution.

46 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Cmon man you're being a bigger jackass than drunk me last night. You can't even blame on being drunk. it's early afternoon. Unless you can lol. I'll give you a pass if you're drunk at 3pm cause that's just swag.

24 minutes ago, row_33 said:

butterfly net-laden men coming over today?

idk man, dude's lost it today. I'd wager about 2 different posters go off the rails a day and try to piss people off as much as they humanly can. I did it last night. Super fun.

Then the next day they're back to normal. Relapse every Sunday.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I can't believe the expectations we have. Bortles is a franchise QB, far from perfect, but he can win a lot of games with a strong team.. and he's cheap.

Dalton is a franchise QB by every definition of a word. Quarterback is the most important position in football, but being a team sport means you take your franchise quarterback that can almost always give you a win even on his worse day as his team carries him.

If we truly want to aim for the next Big Ben or better (or worse, our FO), and are going to keep shuffling quarterbacks that aren't "good enough" to win any given game by themselves, then we're never going to have success until we get the incredible luck of getting THAT guy. And when we do we'll be disappointed on how many quarterbacks we wasted time on. It's the most self destructive approach for a team.

Not to piss you off but you are a Packers fan right? feels like you've implied it. One of my favorite Packers stories was when Brett Favre commented "took him long enough" when Aaron Rodgers won the superbowl. Super jackass thing to say, but Brett recognized that he, a 3 time MVP in a row, couldn't win with many of his rosters. And knew when he left the Packers that they were starting to look very good. He expected someone of Rodgers' talent to win because he had the supporting cast Favre himself thought he could win with on that team, after about a decade of knowing he just didn't have a roster to go all the way.

Brett saw what could be done in 1998 when he saw his defense was potent, his offensive line was so good, Dorsey Levins (who was an okay runningback) ripped off for like 1300 years. He could throw Antonio Freeman for 1400 yards. Chmura was no slouch. Brett in his 2nd or 3rd MVP campaign knew he wouldn't win without that team. He knew he'd struggle with Donald Driver and Bubba Franks. He knew Ahman Green's production didn't have the defense to support the duel threat offense.

Brett knew his 2nd to last year on the Vikings was loaded calling it "the best team he's ever been on" (not true, 1998: Brett don't be petty about GB), but good god it was good. A prime Sidney Rice, offensive line, and Adrian Peterman.

Point is Brett knows way more than we do. He was one of the best quarterbacks for a very long time and knew when he could win with a supporting cast. And in his 20 years, he realizes he might have played on like 5 superbowl caliber teams (being generous with his Vikings team and last year on the Packers). No, a quarterback can't win alone, ever.

AND BOY DID BRETT LOVE THE COMBINATION OF AN ALL-SEASON LONG VICODEN BINGE WITH AN MVP AWARD. Who does that?? Amazing human being regarding his body's constitution.

Cmon man you're being a bigger jackass than drunk me last night. You can't even blame on being drunk. it's early afternoon. Unless you can lol. I'll give you a pass if you're drunk at 3pm cause that's just swag.

I think I was debating with Phil Rivers... he needs to know the truth. 

Even if i was drunk, this thread is sobering. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He does have the same number of pro bowl appearances as TT ...?

He probably was the replacement Tyrod was for as an alternate so he could you know.. play in the playoffs.

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think I was debating with Phil Rivers... he needs to know the truth. 

Even if i was drunk, this thread is sobering. 

Lol that's good stuff, being serious, no /s

15 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I don't know if you're talking sustained Superbowl success but it really comes down to a game managing QB, or a stud QB, and some very opportunistic rookie contracts. I think no matter what the window for success for any given team is very short and they need great drafts to be there. I'd say it's 70% drafting and 30% quarterbacking if you're married to winning with a HOF QB which isn't always necessary.

Rest of the post too, pretty spot on. If we're talking winning the SB, it's the perfect storm of events going right, not just in the years leading up to it, but during that season as well. So many different kinds of teams have won SBs - game manager QBs with great defenses, HOF/Stud QBs and solid defenses, and even teams playing their backup QB (Eagles).

A million things can contribute to a successful SB run, including those mentioned in the quoted post, but last season we saw a year with exceptional parity among teams in the league. It was a large part of the reason why the Bills made the playoffs, but it also opened the door to give other teams a chance that wouldn't even be perennial contenders otherwise. 

One last piece to this perfect storm was also alluded to in the quoted post, which is drafting in relation to cap space and the window of opportunity. You can have the most talented roster in the league, but you will likely struggle to keep all those players for extended contracts without losing cap space. Every single player on the team has to be performing at that level during the small window of years when a team can literally afford to have them all playing at that level, before bigger contracts are demanded.

Edited by ctk232