Philip Rivers: A Sobering Warning

Jerome007

Truth is this though. Rivers lack of success comes down to a team never being truly put around him which stems to how cheap ownership is there. As long as your owner isn't Dan Snyder in terms of interference, if they will pay players and do their best to acquire talent you shouldn't have an issue like Rivers does with the Chargers. The Chargers frugalness stems literal their entire existence.

Edited by corta765

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Phillips is elite because he picked apart the supposed worst team in in the NFL for a half? Then couldn't do jack in the second half?

No, he's elite based on what he's done in a 17 year career. 

What the hell is the matter with people around here?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, The Wiz said:

If only.  I would have told you you're dumb and you should feel dumb and everyone who read this thread is now dumber for reading it if that were the case.

You're pointing out a scenario that I'm sure most bills fans would be happy with as a bad thing.

Playoffs 5 times in 14 years vs playoffs 1 time in 18 years.

Hard choice.

Yeah so dumb but you brainiac can't even grasp a damn post.

I did put I'd take results like Packers or Saints over the Bills drought. And yeah, I'd take 5 out of 14 instead of 1 in 17, genius. The point of this thread, explained for you, is that many fans think if the Bills have at last a franchise QB, all is settled, while besides with Peyton and Brady, no team has been automatic for playoffs and legit contenders even if they did have superstar QBs. Keeping with arch-rivals, Marino anyone? 

And yeah I'll still take a franchise QB on the team anytime. Man you're dense.

Wait!  A football team needs more than a great QB?  Whatchutalkinbout?  Ha.

Dominating the lines is huge.  Great defense can also win with a game manager QB - I could see tyrod winning if he had a number 1 or 2 defense on his bench. 

10 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

A lot of us have high hope Josh Allen might at last be that all elusive “franchise QB” that would help the Bills be a winning team for years to come. And I’m one of them.

But Rivers again dismantling the Bills have me realizing this: can anyone doubt he is a franchise, elite QB? His play and stats are amazing. While Peyton, Brady and Rodgers were the top guys, Brees and Rivers were certainly close and among a lot of the Top 5 for the last DECADE.

Yet the Chargers made the playoffs only 5 times in the 14 seasons Rivers was there… Sobering fact you need more than a great QB, how much awesome it is. I think Rodgers is the best, yet the Packers success pales compare to the Cheatriots, and even to Manning’s Colts and Broncos.

I’d take the Packers and Saints’ records and SB win over the Bills’ drought, but the point is that a great QB is not the complete answer. And some teams did win the Superbowl with “manager type” QBs. Anyway, even if just for entertainment’s sake, let’s hope Allen becomes a star! But that maybe not be the final piece of the puzzle, just a good chunk of it.

I think what it points out is that not only do you need them to very good, but you need them to be very good at KEY TIMES in games.  Statistically there probably isn't much difference between Rivers, Roethlesberger and Rodgers in the grand scheme of things, but Rivers has a history of not making the plays when the team actually needs them to be made while the others do.  That is what causes a team to end up 9-7 and out of the playoffs instead of 11-5  and winning the division or being a wildcard at the end of the year.

Rivers has had teams that are easily good enough to have made the playoffs at least 8 or 9 times in his career.

Edited by matter2003

10 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

A lot of us have high hope Josh Allen might at last be that all elusive “franchise QB” that would help the Bills be a winning team for years to come. And I’m one of them.

But Rivers again dismantling the Bills have me realizing this: can anyone doubt he is a franchise, elite QB? His play and stats are amazing. While Peyton, Brady and Rodgers were the top guys, Brees and Rivers were certainly close and among a lot of the Top 5 for the last DECADE.

Yet the Chargers made the playoffs only 5 times in the 14 seasons Rivers was there… Sobering fact you need more than a great QB, how much awesome it is. I think Rodgers is the best, yet the Packers success pales compare to the Cheatriots, and even to Manning’s Colts and Broncos.

I’d take the Packers and Saints’ records and SB win over the Bills’ drought, but the point is that a great QB is not the complete answer. And some teams did win the Superbowl with “manager type” QBs. Anyway, even if just for entertainment’s sake, let’s hope Allen becomes a star! But that maybe not be the final piece of the puzzle, just a good chunk of it.

Rivers is a HOF QB, no doubt. But it takes more than one player to win championships. Even a HOF calibur QB needs weapons, protection, and (especially when it comes to winning championships) a good/great defense. When has SD/LA had a top tier or close defense?

Obviously, a franchise QB is not the only ingredient of a successful team, but it is probably the most important one.  If you have it, then you can work on the other stuff.  If you don't, than obtaining one is at the top of your wish list.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I'll give you another sobering thought.

Josh in no way shows signs of ever playing on the level of Rivers, who will likely end up in the HOF.

Some have suggested Allen projects out to be a Matt Stafford type, if things go well.

Matt Stafford?  That's what everyone is so excited about around here?

What the hell has that guy ever done?

I completely disagree. Josh Allen made his first start after getting ALL the first team reps for the first time for the Chargers game. And when QBs spit reps so much it doesn't give anyone enough time to sync with the receivers on the team. 

Then you have a bad O line, lousy receiving corps and NO run game to take pressure off the QB so he is mostly in 3rd and long all game. No to mention  that the one part of the team that was supposed to be good keeps allowing the team to get into a big hole points wise from the start. This defense was supposed to be decent and it is among the very worst in the league. 

All of that makes it incredibly difficult for any QB to succeed and especially so for a rookie QB. "IF" Allen survives this season somewhat intact I think he will be much better then both Rivers, Stafford. He can't do it alone though and no QB can. 

Lastly, Matt Stafford has had the very unfortunate luck to never have a big time RB or top defense to help him win games during the same season or top coaching for that matter. The man has thrown for over four thousand yards for eight years now and they still can't seem to build a fully competent team around him. When they did finally get a top defense they were 28th in rushing so they were a one trick pony team on offense.  Need balance all around. 

Rivers has had bad luck too as his 2006 team under shotty goes 14-2 with a top 2 offense and a top 10 defense and they run into the buzz saw of the Patriots in the playoffs at Qualcomm stadium in SD. 

Having a franchise QB is important. Not having a dysfunctional organization is equally or more important. The Oakland & Washington's incompetence over the years have averted eyes from the Chargers' brazen idiocy. From the SD stadium & LA relocation debacle, to the Bosa situation, to firing coaches at the wrong time, Eli (well his agent & father really) look smarter and smarter for refusing to play there.

21 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Obviously, a franchise QB is not the only ingredient of a successful team, but it is probably the most important one.  If you have it, then you can work on the other stuff.  If you don't, than obtaining one is at the top of your wish list.

Very true.   Part of the reason Peyton had so much trouble in Indy winning it all.  

then the same mistakes were repeated with Luck

11 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Talk about putting the cart before the horse.  Who are you warning?  The fans that even if their QB turns out to be a HoFer, we may not win a SB?  Thanks, man.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

But he sucks. ;) 

Hes also a QB that lead the league in 4th QTR comebacks 2 straight seasons. 

honestly. He turns into the posterboy of a quarterback we don't want: a good to great quarterback that isn't in the elite tier. Why wouldn't we want him.. so confused.

When you limit your options to Brees Brady  or Rodgers.. you're gonna have a bad time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Matt Stafford?  That's what everyone is so excited about around here?

What the hell has that guy ever done?

Dude please. I would be ecstatic to have a Stafford clone. He also one of the few quarterbacks that doesn't appear to need the best receiver talent. That's a fantastic style of playing style for our roster. He seemed to get better when he lost Calvin Johnson, meaning he prefers not to toss up balls for grab but operate with a mind for reading defenses and finding the open receivers better than the next guy,. You're set up to be disappointed pining for the next HOF quarterback. Start with hoping with all your might that JA develops to the level of Stafford talent, and then start dreaming he can improve to HOF a quarterback, he's not far away given a perfect storm of events. IF, big if, Stafford wins a SB, he's a serious HOF contender. and he'd probably have a slim chance to do it on the Eagles roster, Jaguars roster, Steelers roster.

He's thrown for 5000 yards for starters. Be reasonable on what you want your quarterback to do.