The OL Is Not The Problem

Domdab99

When Allen actually has the ability (and the permission) to change the play at the LOS - especially when seeing 8 or 9 men in the box - two things will happen: the running game will be much better (because the Bills won't be running the called play into a wall), and Allen will obviously grow in confidence and start hitting the passes he now sees are there.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

And what would help this young QB play better? How about a solid rushing attack that makes the defense work to stop the run so it opens up the passing game. Allen isn't at the level of a top ten QB so he will need a bunch of help from his OC, the run game and the defense. 

So far the defense had let this team down big time by not stopping any drives and putting the team in a hole to start off. Fix the damn defense! 

The run game as of right now the Buffalo Bills are 26th in rushing attempts, 25th in yards. The best player on the Bills offense is Shady McCoy and his OC needs to get him 25 touches or more each game. So far he has had only 21 touches in two games. Shady needs the ball and in space so he can gain yardage. 

Stop getting drive killing penalties by the O line, TE's. Stop whiffing on blocks! Stop blocking the wrong guy! 

The Bills are 29th in the NFL in run blocking, with a 50.9 score

Of course a better running game, and fewer penalties, and a defense that did not leave them 20 points behind at halftime, would help. That's freakin' obvious. 

My point was that DESPITE all those failings, Allen had the opportunity to make a lot of plays that he did not make. To me this is an optimistic situation, assuming he has the ability to improve and does so. If, as I expect, those other areas (defense, penalties, run blocking, etc.-) of the game also improve--and they don't have to improve a huge amount to have significant results--the Bills will be a good team even with the personnel issues we've all complained about this season. 

Edited by Dr. K

15 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't know that any QB can learn how to read 32 different defenses after a few games. 

Absolutely. But the play I was thinking of was clearly a safety blitz. The guy lined up at the line of scrimmage, and sacked him right away. You can't figure out everything presnap, but keep an eye on a safety at the line of scrimmage. Like even if you're confused on the audible or don't want to reassign you're RB.. be ready for a safety blitz. If he drops back run your play if he blitzes, you should learn pretty quickly what the 3 things are going to happen.. sack, fast read, or best yet throw it into the dirt at KB.

Right now it's just sack. I hate how good Brady is at throwing it into the dirt lol. Guy is the GOAT at a lot of things and throwing the perfect intentional grounding throw such that the ref can't call it is one of them.

Anyone notice how in the first half tonight Brown's o-line looked overmatched with Tyrod, and then awesome in the second half with Baker? It's not because they got a new o-line. It's because Baker reads the defense and gets the ball out on time and with accuracy, which then opens up the run game. He looked amazing. Congrats to Browns fans. Hopefully Josh can get to that point soon. 

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, VW82 said:

Anyone notice how in the first half tonight Brown's o-line looked overmatched with Tyrod, and then awesome in the second half with Baker? It's not because they got a new o-line. It's because Baker reads the defense and gets the ball out on time and with accuracy, which then opens up the run game. He looked amazing. Congrats to Browns fans. Hopefully Josh can get to that point soon. 

This is exactly my point...a QB who pulls the trigger and is accurate makes all the difference.

I thought TT was getting killed in the first half...and then Baker comes in and looks like an all-pro. 

Baker saying their plan was to be aggressive, push it down the field and put the pressure on the defense. It always seems that the Bills are playing ticky-tack offense, trying to take what the defense gives them and trying not to make mistakes.

Edited by Domdab99
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Well that's a relief.  Here I am worried because Allen is getting hit before he can complete his drop but it turns out our OL is actually good. 

You need to watch the game again. Allen averaged over 3 seconds per drop back. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Did you get out the stopwatch or do you have a source?

What was Allen's time per dropback before pressure?

Edited by Jauronimo

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Did you get out the stopwatch or do you have a source?

What was Allen's time per dropback before pressure?

It's in all the all-22 threads...yards-per-pass and Cover 1...just do your research. I'm not going to do it for you.

2 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

It's in all the all-22 threads...yards-per-pass and Cover 1...just do your research. I'm not going to do it for you.

I read the sources you cited earlier in the week.  I saw nothing about his average time per dropback. 

They said Groy is garbage, Miller played decently, and PFF (laugh) thinks Ducasse is All Pro.  If you got the average time per dropback, like you claimed, back it up.

8 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I read the sources you cited earlier in the week.  I saw nothing about his average time per dropback. 

They said Groy is garbage, Miller played decently, and PFF (laugh) thinks Ducasse is All Pro.  If you got the average time per dropback, like you claimed, back it up.

LOL you first. You're the one saying Allen was getting buried before he finished his dropback. Which might have happened once. 

I saw a graph from PFF or Cover1 that had Wilson as the longest dropback-before-throw time, with Allen being 2nd. They were both over 3 seconds. 

Believe me or not, I don't give a ****. But you obviously are basing your opinion on emotion with no study. So you be you, Dude. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

LOL you first. You're the one saying Allen was getting buried before he finished his dropback. Which might have happened once. 

I saw a graph from PFF or Cover1 that had Wilson as the longest dropback-before-throw time, with Allen being 2nd. They were both over 3 seconds. 

Believe me or not, I don't give a ****. But you obviously are basing your opinion on emotion with no study. So you be you, Dude. 

There is very little doubt in mind Josh Allens athleticisms, pocket awareness, and over 70 mph release of the football will make even the worst Oline in the NFL look better and that is what we're seeing in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Domdab99 said:

Yeah he holds it forever. However it's comforting for Baker to KNOW Jarvis is going to get open quick when he needs it. Brady has to have his 3 seconds and open guy until he senses time and can let a bigger play develop. Allen doesn't have that option. When he drops back he's thinking "damnit Holmes make your route shorter when you see me about to get crushed in your periphory."

40 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah he holds it forever. However it's comforting for Baker to KNOW Jarvis is going to get open quick when he needs it. Brady has to have his 3 seconds and open guy until he senses time and can let a bigger play develop. Allen doesn't have that option. When he drops back he's thinking "damnit Holmes make your route shorter when you see me about to get crushed in your periphory."

Yes, it all works together...I'd just like to see Allen improve over the next few games with getting the ball out quicker...the all-22 showed quite a few times when he didn't pull the trigger when he should have. And I have confidence that he will. 

Edited by Domdab99

18 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Yes, it all works together...I'd just like to see Allen improve over the next few games with getting the ball out quicker...the all-22 showed quite a few times when he didn't pull the trigger when he should have. And I have confidence that he sill. 

If you think about it Allen and the starters really haven't played together long enough for them to get on the same page IMO.

10 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Yes, Allen got hit before he could hand the ball off behind this stalwart line.  How does that even happen?  They suck in pass pro, they don't run block, and they take a ton of penalties.  Of teams who have played only 2 games, we are 7th in False Starts and 1st in offensive holding (that includes teams who have played 3 games). 

But other than that, this is a crack unit.