The OL Is Not The Problem

Domdab99

1 minute ago, Jerome007 said:

I'm begging Daboll to put both Ivory and Shady at the same time for a good chunk of the plays! Keep the defenses guessing. And pound Ivory down the middle in the first half while using Shady in the flat and as a receiver. Save most of his runs down the middle for the 2nd half.

With the many TE and solid RB stable, he should copy some of the formations of the Bears. Get creative dammit!

I like the way you think Jerome007

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Allen when gets blown up I'll remember it's not the o-line.

You do realize that every QB in the league gets sacked, right? Sometimes brutally.

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Josh Allen held on to the ball an average of 3.6 seconds before release.

That is not going to cut it in the NFL.

Tell that to Tyrod.

I love Joe B's work...save this.  However, this attempt to characterize his review of the All-22 as an analytical model fails badly.  First, he starts with play counts and letter grades, the latter of which being wildly subjective and in his case, having no basis other than as having covered the Bills as a reporter (i.e., no football experience).  Next, he averages them applying weight to each game.  You could go one forever, but at least PFF has some objective standards and defensible models.  Joe has nothing but a desire to appear analytical.  

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Sometimes brutally can cost you a QB.

Yep. That's why starting QB's get injured every year, including some of the great ones like Rodgers.

It does not matter if you have all pro bowl caliber linemen. It's going to happen occasionally.

5 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

He said PFF

584fd3566a5ae41a83ddee96.png

I don't know how those guys do their ratings , but they constantly way off all the time. When they first came out in was like this is great now we will be able to see who is really good or not, but when you see their rankings it's so wrong that even a casual can knows it's off.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I read Joe B's piece at WKBW.  

I give him credit for acknowledging the flaws in Allen's game.  This board seems to think he's a franchise QB in the making and just needs a bit more time.

In reality, he is a long-odds project that is likely not to pan out.  Expectations right now for him are zero b/c he's so green, so the flaws in his game get a pass.  But at some point he'll have to do better.

I thought his best plays came from his legs, not his arm, and that's not good.

I REALLY hope you're wrong and I know you do too, but he missed BADLY on a lot of throws -- even several completions were pulled in by great catches on bad throws. He's lucky he didn't throw more picks. That simply must change a lot for the better or he will be watching the NFL on TV like the rest of us sooner rather than later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. He still has a lot to prove.

6 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

I didn't say they suck...they just need some seasoning. I think they're both going to be very good....maybe even this year. 

Wow that’s great I guess in the next year draft OL   and I thought OL was a huge need and will have to use our 1st and even 2nd round picks , 

should wait and see how  PFF ranks our WR’s  next ?  

Maybe we go all defense in the next years  draft ? 

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

What’s more alarming to me is the lack of a run game. Granted we have been basically blown out the first 6 quarters of the season. 

But if they can’t run the ball it’s going to be a really ugly season. Allen carrying the whole team and trying to do everything himself is gonna be a disaster for the team, and for his development 

The only silver lining about the first 2 games is we have yet to see our full offense. Daboll has been forced to scrap his playbook by the 2nd quarter because he's down 2-3 scores. 

The little we have seen of the run game looks very encouraging , Ivory looks surprisingly explosive.

As long as this D gets their heads out of their butts , we'll see a much more complete offense and Allen on full display. 

When your defense gives up 4 consecutive TDs in your first start , and the defense knows you're forced to go pass heavy , that's about as tough as it gets for him. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Who was supposed to pick up Derwin then ? Edmunds or Allen ?

Allen and Groy are responsible for identifying the blitzer and changing the protection as called. That sack was absolutely on "protection" but not on an individual member of the offensive line getting flat out beat. They had the wrong protection called for the defense LA were running failed to identify it and adjust. That play was doomed before the snap. 

There was another play later in the game where the Chargers ran a similar DB blitz and Allen did seem to identify it, intentionally leave the protection as called knowing he would have Shady (or might have been Murphy) in the flat on a hot with no defender to account for him and then for some reason hesitated on the throw and the pressure got home. He has to improve in the short game and the quick hitters. That is the staple of modern NFL offense. You can't survive just playing 'bombs away' now. 

Identifying pressures and adjusting protections is the biggest was in which this team is missing Eric Wood. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

In no real order...but here is what I hold to be contributors to the Bills' issues.

1.Play designs or playcalls.

2.Offensive line...decent to good minus Groy.

3.No clear No. 1 WR.

4.Star Lotulelei/lack of pass rush and pass rush depth.

5.Cornerback opposite side of White.

6.Tremaine Edmunds' inexperience.

7.Lack of defensive creativity.

8. Okay special teams play.

9. Zero identity.

10.Seemingly conceding to the idea of not making the playoffs this season.

Seriously?  Our number one problem is bad play calling?

And "zero identity" is in the top 10?  What the hell does that even mean?  And how would that translate to winning on Sundays? 

You know what the most important factor is?  It didn't crack your Top 10!  

The quarterback.

We don't have one.

37 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

And "zero identity" is in the top 10?  What the hell does that even mean?  And how would that translate to winning on Sundays? 

The quarterback.

We don't have one.

??

Edited by Ned Kelly

22 minutes ago, Ned Kelly said:

??

He is right. At the moment we don't have a good enough Quarterback. I mean it is far from the only issue - the defense the first game and a half would have had Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers struggling to keep up - but we don't have a Quarterback good enough to win us games yet.  That isn't unexpected when you are starting a rookie though, especially one who was widely acknowledged (even by the analysts who liked him) to be a relatively raw prospect coming out. 

It isn't "freak out we don't have a Quarterback" it is "we don't have a Quarterback right now, let's enjoy the process of seeing if Josh Allen can develop into the guy."

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

SMH.

You know, I'll kinda go with what I see over PFF's OL and QB e v a l (off for all-22)

I like Joe B but historically his grades don't always make sense to me

Well, FWIW I think he looks better than Humber myself but what do I know?  Joe B seems to think that McDermott is trying to "send a message" to Milano, what message and why not clarified

how about.....he's giving milano a rest?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Allen and Groy are responsible for identifying the blitzer and changing the protection as called. That sack was absolutely on "protection" but not on an individual member of the offensive line getting flat out beat. They had the wrong protection called for the defense LA were running failed to identify it and adjust. That play was doomed before the snap. 

There was another play later in the game where the Chargers ran a similar DB blitz and Allen did seem to identify it, intentionally leave the protection as called knowing he would have Shady (or might have been Murphy) in the flat on a hot with no defender to account for him and then for some reason hesitated on the throw and the pressure got home. He has to improve in the short game and the quick hitters. That is the staple of modern NFL offense. You can't survive just playing 'bombs away' now. 

Identifying pressures and adjusting protections is the biggest was in which this team is missing Eric Wood. 

I was making a small joke.

But like always you nailed it. Groys lack of experience has shown two games in row. are can this be somewhat assigned to Coaching ?
Surely Castillo should have expected those blitz packages and practiced some of that ?
 Mills turned his guy in to seal the first blitz and WR/TE looked like he saw it. coming. was not sure to chip or run his route. He was uncovered at the line and hesitated.

Might be a bigger problem than just the line ... 

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

The quarterback.

We don't have one.

Personally I was happy with what I saw out of the kid in the second half.  I know you have a vested interest in this point of view because you've been beating this particular drum for so long, but go back and watch again, the kid shows some real promise.  Don't get me wrong, he's making a LOT of mistakes, but he seems to be learning and even progressing a bit too.  All in all I'd say it was a pretty good first start for a rookie, especially on that is going to need some work.   I'd kill to have Eric Wood back to help this kid along, as Groy doesn't seem to know his ass from his hat.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, vincec said:

Apparently, it's up to Allen to pick up the free blitzers. As if he didn't have enough on his plate as a rookie. Nice offensive system.

Quarterbacks and centers are responsible for identifying blitzers and adjusting protections. That is just football. It has been said that when Dak was a rookie in Dallas that his center took complete control of that for the season. He is arguably the best center in the NFL when healthy. We, in contrast, have a rookie QB and a center who has little starting experience. That might be where Bodine would help and I was probably as guilty as anyone of underrating that element during the center battle.

• Like (+1) 4