The OL Is Not The Problem

Domdab99

It's just so hard to have good overall line play when your center is weak and ineffective. It's great that the guards have been ok, especially Ducasse which is stunning. I don't agree that the tackles have been that good, and we get virtually no push in the run game. 

Frankly, it's so hard to evaluate this stuff when your QBs are that out to lunch with the pre-snap protections and assignments. Everyone needs to be graded on a curve. I have no idea how PFF got to those numbers.  

Edited by VW82

Yes, In fact the Oline is a problem, along with the Dline and WR's . I agree the youngsters have a learning curve to go through and are part of the problem as well. But to say the Oline is not the problem or part of the problem is just plain clueless thought.

Right now this team has a long list of problems and Oline is definitely a big part of it.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Great,  PFF has crowned the Buffalo Bills OL as great.

This means Beane doesn't need to draft or acquire OL in FA.

Winning!

SMH.

You know, I'll kinda go with what I see over PFF's OL and QB e v a l (off for all-22)

I like Joe B but historically his grades don't always make sense to me

38 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't know what to believe because his grades on Matt Milano are really good. He looks very good to me, yet McDermott keeps pulling him out for Ramon freaking Humber. So yeah I don't know what to think. 

Well, FWIW I think he looks better than Humber myself but what do I know?  Joe B seems to think that McDermott is trying to "send a message" to Milano, what message and why not clarified

• Like (+1) 4

I’d have no problem if they could run block. Oh wait is it McCoy & Murphy’s fault. Moving the goalposts of evaluating criteria skews objectivity. 

Also lost in all this how does PFF rank McD’s two challenges that were easily wrong, and his decision to take over playcalling & no going for it on 4th down?

58 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

This line is complete garbage.  Whoever graded them is clueless.  Do you believe everything you read?  The proof is on the field....they will get wrecked this Sunday.

This is the guy who couldn’t tell what a throwaway pass was during training camp so consider the source 

The Bills seem to be cursed with a lack of talent in management, coaching, and players. Otherwise, things are looking up!

Everyone around the league knows the Bills are a laughingstock. It is almost universally acknowledged. The only exceptions are the Bills' head coach and the diehard fans who refuse to accept the pain of reality.

The problem with the line of BS coming out McDermott's mouth is that many of the fans have eyes that can see and brains that function. Everyone else is welcome to eat his BS.

Total BS. We watched the game.  They have no idea if it is the QB's fault or if it the OL's fault if the protection was not set correctly.  Virtually no run game.  Largest gain called back for a penalty that was unnecessary.

I do think as the game wore on the line got a bit better especially up the middle.  Dawkins continues to hold his one pass blocking and he almost never has any help.  

Hopefully they are right and the line will look better throughout the season.  Remember when people used to give OLs time to gel if they just replaced one guy. Well they are replacing the entire middle of the line.

I read Joe B's piece at WKBW.  

I give him credit for acknowledging the flaws in Allen's game.  This board seems to think he's a franchise QB in the making and just needs a bit more time.

In reality, he is a long-odds project that is likely not to pan out.  Expectations right now for him are zero b/c he's so green, so the flaws in his game get a pass.  But at some point he'll have to do better.

I thought his best plays came from his legs, not his arm, and that's not good.

I stopped putting stock into PFF once those jackasses had the audacity to try and claim you could tell which NFL teams were going by their "Draft Guide". Oh yes, you're posting Youtube videos and NFL execs are hanging on your every word about this guy or that. :lol: Gtfoh. 

47 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Josh Allen held on to the ball an average of 3.6 seconds before release.

That is not going to cut it in the NFL.

No it's not. But can you cut the kid some slack? It was his first start! And he is very green, not as much college experience as other rookies. Damn people are impatient. If it's still like that 10 games in, then we worry.

And to me this stat doesn't say it all. Rodgers and Big Ben have made a career out of extending plays. Of course that was not the case with Allen but stats don't tell the whole story.

And if you want to use stats, for all his inaccuracy and slow reads issues, he was still among the top QBs for average yards per pass and per pass play!

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

What’s more alarming to me is the lack of a run game. Granted we have been basically blown out the first 6 quarters of the season. 

But if they can’t run the ball it’s going to be a really ugly season. Allen carrying the whole team and trying to do everything himself is gonna be a disaster for the team, and for his development 

Big fan of Shady , but negative plays in the run game are stalling out drives IMO. 

How about mixing in a down hill runner more...

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Big fan of Shady , but negative plays in the run game are stalling out drives IMO. 

How about mixing in a down hill runner more...

I'm begging Daboll to put both Ivory and Shady at the same time for a good chunk of the plays! Keep the defenses guessing. And pound Ivory down the middle in the first half while using Shady in the flat and as a receiver. Save most of his runs down the middle for the 2nd half.

With the many TE and solid RB stable, he should copy some of the formations of the Bears. Get creative dammit!

• Like (+1) 3