The OL Is Not The Problem

Domdab99

This just goes to show you - and me - that we often don't know what the heck is going on or why the Bills are playing poorly. 

PFF (in other thread on this sight), YardsPerPass, and Joe Buscaglia have all done a lot more studying than us, and all three have claimed that main culprits in the Chargers loss are Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds. Now, I think we could all see how Edmunds struggles against a savvy passer like Rivers, and while Allen certainly shows promise, he missed a lot of open guys and didn't get the ball out in time to be truly effective. 

But the real surprise is that the offensive line, save for center Ryan Groy, all played from decent to very well. In facxt, Both John Miller and Vlad Ducasse - two of the bigger punching bags on this site - actually played way above average and were standouts on the team:

Armed with this knowledge, it now makes sense that the OL has not been overhauled or changed much at all. In fact, other than maybe replacing Groy with Bodine, I don't see any changes coming for this line in the near future.

And with the change in the play-calling in the 2nd half, and with both our star 1st-round rookies getting valuable experience, I expect both them and this team to actually be a bit better than most are expecting this year. Certainly not 0-16 bad. 

Matbe The Process is working...and we just can't see it yet. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Epstein's Mother said:

So wait … a 20 year old linebacker starting his 2nd game and a 22 year old QB starting his 1st game didn't grade out well?  They suck.

I didn't say they suck...they just need some seasoning. I think they're both going to be very good....maybe even this year. 

Don't know how they grade,  but my eyes say no way.  Maybe they don't count "rushed/pressures" or if shady shakes for a 1 yard gain if that doesn't count against them? Additionally,  SD D may have been more in cruise control in second half after the big lead, puffing up their numbers. OL needs to be a priority next year... these kind of analyses take pressure off the need. 

Go ahead and watch the game again, if you can stand to.  When you do you will most likely have a much different opinion than PFF and Joe B.  Does Allen have something to do with the sacks?  Absolutely, but not all of them and early on the OL looked terrible.  The fact that they played better after getting their doors blown off early probably helps even out the grading.  But first half - the OL looked just as bad as advertised.

What’s more alarming to me is the lack of a run game. Granted we have been basically blown out the first 6 quarters of the season. 

But if they can’t run the ball it’s going to be a really ugly season. Allen carrying the whole team and trying to do everything himself is gonna be a disaster for the team, and for his development 

• Like (+1) 1

In no real order...but here is what I hold to be contributors to the Bills' issues.

1.Play designs or playcalls.

2.Offensive line...decent to good minus Groy.

3.No clear No. 1 WR.

4.Star Lotulelei/lack of pass rush and pass rush depth.

5.Cornerback opposite side of White.

6.Tremaine Edmunds' inexperience.

7.Lack of defensive creativity.

8. Okay special teams play.

9. Zero identity.

10.Seemingly conceding to the idea of not making the playoffs this season.

44 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

I didn't say they suck...they just need some seasoning. I think they're both going to be very good....maybe even this year. 

Who was supposed to pick up Derwin then ? Edmunds or Allen ?

: )

41 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I was only kidding.  I agree that both are going to be good players but they lack experience.

of course. I agree 110%

Edited by 3rdand12